Second Visit with the Homeopathic Dr.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 4, 2006.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I returned for my follow up visit with the homeopath dr. today to discuss my lab work..He is a board certified Homepathic, Nuturional Medicine and Chiropractic Physician..

He did confirm my dx of CFIDS but no lupus or fibro..Most of my labs were down especially my ana and c-reactive protein..My ASI, which I am not familiar with, showed my cortisol and adrenal studies were abnormal which wasn't surprising..

So he has put me on a lot of supplements and me med phobic..He assures me that I will be ok and in three months began to feel better if I follow his advice..

He did suggest lots of rest and no excerise program at this time..Not to go home and go to bed but for 3 months only brief activity with pacing and as little stress as possible.. haha

The supplements some I am familiar with some not but here goes..If any of you have tried them please let me know..

Bromelain, Zinc gluconate, Ascorbates,
    Quecetin, Fish oil, Magnesium taurate,
    Vit.D, Vit. B1, Chromium GTF, Monolauren, CQ-10, N-Acetyl Cysteine,
    Adaptocrine,Adrenacalm and Adrenastim.

I ask him if it would kill me taking all this and he assured me no and if there was any problems he was just a call away..

I have never taken this many together so not sure if I have made a mistake my going to him or not..We shall see..I may try a few at a time.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

greatgran
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

bump please

3. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I recognize most of those, so I would just trust him for now until you have good reason not to. Certainly, don't stress out about the supplements.

Bromelain is an enzyme taken with food to digest. Taken inbetween meals helps with inflammation. Zinc is a great supplement that we all need. Keeps your immune system strong, helps fight colds/flu bugs. Quercetin is great for allergies, acts like a natural histamine. Fish oil is a must. Great for memmory and inflamation, joints, cartilage, etc. Magnesium is a mineral that we ALL should be taking. My doc has me on it too only a different type (magnesium chelate) It's good for muscle contractions, sleep and a must if you have stress. Chromium is great for blood sugars. Our soils are depleted of chromium. I take this too. Co Q10 both me and my dog take. It's a great antioxidant and good for the heart. N-Acetyl Cystein also known as NAC is a precursor for glutathione, a must for detoxification. I take Jarrow's brand of nac.
    The last three, I think are for your Adrenal glands. Probably are for support.

Hope this helps some.

skierchik
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you so much for the info..it will be most helpful..Wish a doctor could explain it like you did..

From what you just explained I feel at ease and will give it a try may not help but won't hurt..The doctor seems to think it will help me with energy, inflammation and the viral infections..

Thanks ever so much...
    greatgran
  5. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

I agree with the previous poster.

It is important to slowly take the supplements one by one. That way if you have a reaction to something, you know what you are reacting to.

One other note, fish oil is great and it is wonderful for your brain and for your neurotransmitters, but I would suggest introducing that very slowly, unless you are not sensitive to supplements. I had a reaction by taking too much at the onset of a new protocol.

Also, I believe that monolauren is pretty powerful and will be killing off "stuff", so you may experience a die off or herxing effect. You may want to discuss with your doctor or research each of these before taking them, so you know what you are in for with this new protocol. Maybe others can fill you in on the other supplements that have not yet been mentioned. (you can do a search for monolauren on the message board, if you want more info on that.)

Good luck with your new doctor and new protocol.

Jennifer
  6. greatgran

greatgran Member

I was just thinking that this is a lot of supplements to put into my body all at once and was planning on starting out slowly..As I seem to be sensitive to a lot of meds etc..That is one reason I chose this type of doc. Didn't dream he would start me out on so many at such high doses..

There were two others I forgot to add
    they are alpha-Lipoic acid and Acety L-Carnitine..I plan to do some research on each especially the ones I am not familiar with. I was just to tired yesterday after my trip and too wanted input from others who might have tried the supplements...

Thank each of you for being so kind and sharing your input..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  7. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Alpha Lipoic Acid is a very important supplement. It is a precursor to glutathione and I also take it 3 x's a day. It will support your immune system. Aceytl-L-carnitine is an amino acid. Amino Acids are important for the muscles. I imagine he is giving those two to you for energy. They are also anti-aging. Co Q10 can be anti-aging also. That's not the main reason he would have you take those. Anti-aging is a nice benefit and all but the main reason is that they are good for your cells and their health. And that's important.

I know you think this is alot of supplements to take, but really it's not. I take a ton more than that. None of them have caused me any problems what so ever. The only ones on your list that I havn't taken are the last 3. There's a small chance that Zinc could upset your stomach, but if you take them with food you should be ok. If your doctor wants you to take some of them on an empty stomach though, than I would.

Take care,

skierchik
  8. gongee

gongee New Member

I too went to a Homepathic after feeling like I had exhausted the majority of my resources otherwise. My only question to myself was, why did I wait so long. i was put on
    Bromelain
    Omega 3 2400 mg a day
    Magnesium Glycinate 450Mg a day
    Malic Acid 1800 mg a day
    CQ 10
    plus Bio Identical Hormones

All of this combined is making a world of difference. The only prescription meds that I take now are my allergy meds and xanax, which I take for panic disorder.

I am so glad I decided to go. Take care and heres to feeling better!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks so much for getting back to me..Yes, it sure does seem like a lot but if they will help..its worth a try..

I started today but am doing it slowly just to ease my anxiety and also if there is a side effect I will know which one..So far so good..

I haven't found much info at all on the last three I posted and nor can I find out anything about the Monolauren..except its antiviral..

Do your supplements help? Would like to hear about yours..

Thanks and God Bless,
    greatgean
  10. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

That isn't alot at all. I am on so many more. I am med free and doing better than I ever did on 12 meds. Good Luck.
  11. findmind

findmind New Member

Sounds like good stuff to me!

BUT, my only advice is to start a new journal and keep track of how much you take, add to it, lower the dose, etc.

Leave a space to make "Remarks"/Questions to dr., so you have it all in one spot.

Best of luck to you...sounds like a great doc!!!

findmind
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

So much for your support and advise!!
    I am now looking forward and getting anxiious to start this new program..

How long before you noticed any improvement?

I have my doc's e-mail address and he told me to e-mail or call any time I had questions but my next visit is not for 3 months, then he will repeat all the test.

Gongee, I too take xanax for anxiety and sleep but it was my understanding that the Adaptocrine, Adrenacalm,and the Adrenastim will be helpful and I may not need xanax after awhile but we shall see.

Findmind and Erfula thank you so much for your support and knowing that the supplements have helped you, makes me so hopeful..

God Bless,
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Greatgran,
    The Dr. who diagnosed me 13 years ago put me on most of the supplements you have listed. I have stayed on that regime for all this time. It has kept me going. I think you are lucky to have found this person. I would do it as long as you can afford it.

Now that I'm almost 70, and my small "early Retirement" money buys less and less, I'm looking for a way to drop some of the supplements (I take as many as 17 at any given meal). So, I have asked my acupuncturist to help me in this matter (He is also a Chinese Medicine Dr.). He said he would, but not for a while, as things must be done slowly.

Good luck to you...It looks like you have a bright future ahead of you. I hear that the supplements from this site are really good.

Hugs,
    Terry
  14. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Yes, supplements and GOOD diet have been helpful.

The monolauren, I think will help with viruses, I'm guessing on that one. The adrenacalm will help you with your anxiety, so you may not need the Xanax. The adrenastim will support your adrenals and the adaptocrine will support both hypo and hyper adrenal function. It sounds like to me you have a great doctor.

I take alot of what you take. I don't take monolauren, adaptocrine, adrenalcalm or adrenastim. Probably should though, I have over active adrenals. One doc put me on Cortine by Thorne to control cortisol levels. I put me on NatraBio's Adrenal support and Nutricology's adrenal cortex. The homopathic remedy by NatrBio has been very helpful to me.

I have to go walk my dog, so I will come back later and tell you what else I take.

skierchik
  15. gongee

gongee New Member

Thanks for letting me know about the supplements you are taking that may help you be able to wean off xanax eventually. I sure would like to be one of those that didn't have to take it.
    I am going to ask the Homeopath when I go back in at my follow-up.It sure wouldn't hurt to try it. Again, thanks and good luck!!!!!!!
  16. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I am also doing a protocol from my doc that rebuilds the intestinal mucosa. It contains butter, olive oil, colostrum, probiotics, l-glutatmine, zinc carnosine & raw, unfiltered honey. This will help absorb nutrients once the lining of the gut is healed.

I also take whey protein shakes once a day with liquid lecithin (phos. choline), unfiltered apple juice and some amino acid powder provided by my doc.

I take Chelated Magnesium all day, selenium, biosil for bones/cartilage, hair supplements (hypothyroid), essential fatty acids (EFA's), "the shake", vit c & e, glutathione (very important for detoxification), CoQ10, ALA, Cayenne & Kelp to raise my body temp., Kyolic for viruses and reduce heavy metal load, Immune Modulators, Chromium for my blood sugars, Glycene & NAC - precursors to glutathione. I think that's mostly it. Sometimes, I stop taking certain ones and pick something else up. It doesn't hurt to rotate some of them.

Hope this helps.

skierchik
  17. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I and my 4 y.o. daughter have seen our naturopathic/homeopathic physician for over 2 years now, after I just gave up on MDs after absolutely horrific treatment and severe side effects to so many Rx meds. I have been a tough nut to crack, but it's amazing how much better my dx'd autistic daughter has done...I don't think anyone would think she was near autistic these days...it's really almost a miracle!

I am not familiar with 100% of your supplements (mainly the last line), but what prev. posters have said about the others sounds absolutely correct to me, too. I've been thinking I should restart N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) myself...I took it about 6 mo. ago when my glutathione levels (NAC is a precursor) were bottomed out. It took awhile (my levels were so bad/low on so many things), but it really did help me.

It sounds like this doctor wants to be very involved with your care...I really liked his comment about being "just a call away". I really hope you get some good relief, and that this is the start of a good medical relationship.

Take care,
    C.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]