"Secret Reasons you're exhausted" Dr. Oz - 3 p.m. today, on ABC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Dec 21, 2011.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't expect him to have any stunning news or cures for CFS and FM, figure he will probably focus on thyroid and anemia, but there may be something interesting. (3:00 p.m. Pacific time)

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Jam - well, there was only one interesting point he made. He listed 4 possible causes of fatigue and did not even mention thyroid or anemia or B12 deficiency.

1. Eating lots of carbs and no protein will make you tired - no news here!

2. This one was interesting - he said that if you have high cortisol it can lead to low testosterone, which can cause fatigue. I'd never heard that before, either that high cortisol can lower testosterone or that low testosterone can cause fatigue.

3. OTC drug side effects

4. Sleeping with your pet can disrupt your sleep - brilliant!

So it was almost a waste, but the second point was interesting. It was rather disappointing --

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That he is only right, or complete, about half the time. Sometimes, he is just downright wrong.

Love, Mikie
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I think you're right, and too often he deals with things too quickly and not in any depth.

He has had a couple of shows though that were excellent, dealing with controversial topics, including a debate about the right to end your life for terminally ill people, legalization of marijuana and so on - these were very controversial and he had intelligent people on both sides giving their views. I was impressed with that - he does have guts.

It would have been really good if he had gone further into the issue of high cortisol yesterday and how the adrenals fit in and how depleted adrenals can cause exhaustion. But all in all I'm glad he's on the air. If nothing else he has made our national weight problem with its attendant health issues (diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease etc.) a huge priority -

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I agree, he does go too fast on many things. But I guess on the whole he is doing something good - most of his diet and weight loss info is very good. I wish he would do a show on CFS and FM (more than just a few minutes!)