See cool sunset picture and I need artist advice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Hi everyone- I have been kinda mia for awhile, fell into a big CF hole after over doing for my foundation work.

Now I am climbing back out and am trying to paint the picture in my profile. I have tried watercolor 3 times, colored pencil and acrylic and all are bad,lol.

I haven't picked up an artists paint brush in 3 years and just can not get a handle on this. Is it possible to truly capture this in a painting? I can probably do it oil with glazing but don't like cleaning up afterward.

My art club is having our annual show at Greenbo State park on the 15th -Lacey you should come- so I am trying to paint some things to enter.

Any advice-thanks Carla
  2. laceymae

laceymae New Member

just wondering if you have ever been to the Art Expo they have at Carter Caves? Not sure of the dates, I'll check and get back to you on it.

3. victoria

victoria New Member

watercolor 'washes' would be wonderful but would require 'controlled spontaneity' and 'happy accidents' lol...

but oil glazes would work as well imho, it's all technique at the end no matter the medium!

Good luck, can wait to see what you do with it!

all the best,

4. ckball

ckball New Member

I have heard of the Carter Caves thing but have not been to it. I haven't been to Carter Cave in 20 years.

Victoria I forgot to mention that this is one of a series of pictures I took over a 20 minute time frame. I was out on my cart in Oct and had my camera with me and knew it was going to be cool. I have about 20 pics and it is amazing of how it changed in that short period of time.

So far all I come up with is mud in watercolor,lol. I know half your time is spent watching paper and paint dry, I get too impatient and there goes another peice of paper :)

5. mezombie

mezombie Member

Have you considered trying pastels?

They're easy to smudge and you know exactly where the color will go.

You could also use pen and black ink for the silhouette if you wanted to.

It's really a lovely shot! If all else fails, maybe you could enlarge and frame it.
  6. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

What a beautiful picture. Be sure to show us what your pic. looks like when you finish. I've always been envious of artists, what a beautiful way to express yourself.
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have been collecting photos of sunsets for years. I have one my bio from Redondo Beach a few years ago. Is your picture a photo?

I also thought about using pastel chalks. I have some paintings with sunsets and none come close the a photo. It seems very difficult to achieve with oil painting.

There is a website on painting sunsets that looks like they used watercolors.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/04/2008]
  8. ckball

ckball New Member

Mezombie I do have soft pastels but really wanted to capture if water color but may go the pastel route too.

The girls are still the girls,lol- keep me on my toes

Linda thanks for looking -hope things are going well for you

Monica I hope you are doing better

Pvlady WOW what a sunset!!! I may have to steal it,lol - I love sunsets, not big on sunrise-it comes to early-lol

I took the picture a short distance from my house, I ride over on my golf cart. Thanks Carla
  9. ckball

ckball New Member

I can see why- I flew over Az on a clear day when I went to Vegas and part of it when I went the to Canyon. Such a gorgeous and wonderous place. I hear the weather aint bad either. Thanks for pic-very cool- Carla
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Gorgeous sunset! I sure hope you don't get houses in the way of that view!

It would be perfect in water colors, Carla, but you would have to settle for a soft version of it that would meander as it pleased. Most watercolorists must be very lenient people.

I think I'd want to blow up that photo!