See if your thyroid could be a poblem - list of symptoms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tantallon, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

I found this on a website and because I think I have a hypothyroid problem I am going to see my doctor armed with this - incidentally I have 10 of the symptoms and my test was normal !!!

Hope it helps some of you who think that there might be a thyroid problem.

The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) now says that TSH level between 3.0 and 5.0 uU/ml should be considered suspect. This is a major reversal of the long held view that a person ONLY had hypothyroidism if their TSH is above 5.0.

This is the first time a conventional U.S. medical organization has acknowledged that the upper half of the TSH test's normal range may not in fact be normal, but rather, evidence of developing hypothyroidism, or a level that is potentially able to cause hypothyroidism symptoms in patients.

In one of the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centre letters they explain there is "mounting evidenceā€ that almost all (if not all) CFS/FMS patients have Thyroid issues even though test after test show "normal". They explain that "standard" TSH and T4/T3 testing misses thyroid problems with CR/FM patients 90% of the time.

The way the FFC describes this problem, (researchers have made similar discoveries), is "thyroid resistance." Most standard blood work will show normal levels of thyroid hormone in the blood but our bodies, for whatever reason, resist the hormone and it doesn't make it into our cells and muscles where it needs to go. Most doctors reject this theory of thyroid resistance, which is why they won't treat low thyroid even when symptoms suggest it.

The FFC includes a "reverse T3" test in its blood work panel, as this gauges the level of inactive hormone in the blood. If the ratio of active T3 to inactive (Reverse T3) hormone is off, this suggests resistance and supplementing with hormones is recommended to saturate the cells and muscles into submission.

There are several important tests, TSH, Free T4, Free T3 and Reverse T3 that should be done to definitely rule out the possibility of hypothyroidism.

Symptoms of Hypothyroidism

DO YOU...

Have unusual fatigue unrelated to exertion?

Feel chillier than most people, often needing to wear socks to bed?

Dress in layers because of needing to adjust to various temperatures throughout the day? (sometimes too hot, sometimes too cold)?

Have feelings of anxiety that sometimes lead to panic?

Have trouble with weight, often eating lightly, yet still not losing a pound?

Experience aches and pains in your muscles and joints unrelated to trauma or exercise?

Have increased problems with digestion or allergies?

Feel mentally sluggish, unfocused, or unusually forgetful, even though you're not old enough to have Alzheimer's?

Know of anyone in your family who has ever had a thyroid problem (even yourself at an earlier age)?

Suffer from dry skin, or are prone to adult acne or eczema?

Go through periods of depression, and/or lowered sex drive, seemingly out of proportion to life events?

Have diabetes, anemia, rheumatoid arthritis, or early graying of hair? Does anyone in your family?

Experience your hair as feeling like straw, dry and easily falling out?

Experience significant menopausal symptoms, including migraine headache, without full relief after taking estrogen?

Have a history of whiplash or other neck injuries (which may have damaged your thyroid)?

Have significant exposure, now or in the past, to chlorine, bromine, or fluoride? (which compete with iodine in your thyroid)?

Feel utterly exhausted by evening, yet have trouble sleeping?

Do you wake up tired?

If You Answered Yes to Four or More of These Questions
    You could be one of millions of people with an undiagnosed or under-treated Low Thyroid Problem.

If you have some of these symptoms, you need to discuss them with your doctor and probably seek the skills of an endocrinologist. You may have low thyroid (hypothyroidism), even if your doctor says the blood tests are normal.

Low thyroid can masquerade as any other illness such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, low sex drive, recurrent miscarriages, infertility, difficult menopause, migraines and any auto-immune condition (diabetes, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, colitis, etc.) OR make any other existing illness worse.

[This Message was Edited on 03/07/2006]
  2. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Thank you for this post.

I am printing it out and going to bring it to my Dr. as I have an under active thyroid, and often wondered if this has been part of my problem with this DD.

Thanks again,
    Cindy
  3. lucita2k

lucita2k New Member

I've always suspected that my FMS may be an underactive thyroid, with my TSH levels being at 3.5. I have taken these results to four different doctors, one being an endocrinologist who based on my symptoms alone said I was hypothyroid but later on said I was fine since my tests came back normal, and they have all said that nothing is wrong with me. Meanwhile, I'm tired, in pain and my hair is falling out (oh, and a new one, I cannot wear turtlenecks now since it's very uncomfortable). No one I have met believes the new recommendation. And, yes, I've taken copies of their press release and articles. I've asked if they could put me on a trial cycle, but they will not. At this point, I don't know who else can help me.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Since I was dx as Hypothyroid back in November and put on meds for it, I too did some research.

I think it was at about.com that mentioned having FM made you more likely to be Hypothyroid!!!!

They've been adjusting the levels to include many more people that once would have been told their levels were "fine".

This site was filled with good information, check it out.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  5. reeny64tang

reeny64tang New Member

I was diagnosed first with hypothyroidism back in 1998 when it shut down on its own -- my pcp never picked up on any of the signs -- which were all there, and I had complained about for a couple of years!!! I could not believe how much of the body that the thyroid affects. Unbelievable!!!! Eight years later I am on 200 mcg of Levathroid, and still have almost every complaint on this list ????? Lucita2k -- your comment on turtlenecks could not have hit closer to home.... during the winter months (I live in upstate New York) I could not live without my turtlenecks -- everyone joked about my tons and tons of turtlenecks--then, just like that, I couldn't have that little bit of cloth by my neck--- can't do it--I get almost in a panic -- have to take it right back off...I thought I was the only one....
    I was never sent to an Endocrinologist until just this past winter at which time he upped my dosage to 200mcg -- I am not due to see him until May, but I am printing out this list and taking it with me, so he can see just how many complaints I still have after 8 years of being on meds. Even though I was diagnosed with fibro not long after the thyroid diagnosis, I do not believe that most of my complaints are fibro related -- I still feel that it is my thyroid, and that they have just not gotten it taken care of.
    Thanks,
    Reeny
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I felt I had thyroid problems for the past several years. My doctor tested me twice (TSH only) and said that I was ok..but I believe I was in the over 3 range.

Last year, he did a more indepth thryoid test and my TSH was 15 and my Free T4 also showed a problem. A virus kicked off a severe flare (FM, and currently being tested for RA), however, I'm sure my thyroid had been on the decline for years.

I don't know why it has to be so hard sometimes to convince the medical profession how we feel. At least now my levels are well within the normal range, although with the other conditions, the only thing I've noticed is that my hair is healthier!

Regards,

Eileen
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thank you so much for the info as I am going in to my rheumy tomorrow to go over my labs. I have also strongly suspected thryoid problems and actually fit many of the sx of hashimotos. I just have this sneaking suspicion that doc will say I'm doing great! I hate that!!

This info is ery helpful. I will at least keep it in mind as we review my labs.

Sofi