Seeing a new Rheumy next month, any advice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I made an appointment with a new rheumy for next month. This will be the 4th rheumy I have been to since I was diagnosed back in 2002. This doctor has has specialized in rheumatology now for over 30 years. The ones I went to in the past were brand new doctors who have only practiced within a few years.

I thought maybe if I went with one with so much more experience, he would have some better ideas (probably not), but I'm hoping so. My main issue is low back, hip, buttock, thigh pain along with all the other miserable FM problems. Both of my hips feel like I have rocks in my muscles. My butt cheeks (sorry for the language) get so sore that sometimes I will feel abdominal or pelvic pain along with it, not a good feeling.

The other docs were not helpful, and I also do not want the typical protocol of drugs that most docs give us FM'ers, such as antidepressant (hate those drugs). I want to know if this is really an FM problem with the hips, butt, thighs, low back or if I'm dealing with another issue entirely. Maybe with more experience, he can have other suggestions, BUT I'm also afraid he will be old fashioned or something. I guess part of my problem is anxiety, I think too much, LOL. Thanks for listening. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. simonedb

simonedb Member

chelz sorry havent been around here more, too much going on at home and other boards and life but maybe you could do a search here for old posts on rheumies for ideas

but i would try to get tests, rule out RA for example
    do a search on here for good tests to try to get

try to present yourself confidently too and try not to be too emotional its too bad but its a game a bit as docs size us up in first 5 mins and make judgements try to look pro be nice but sort of business like
    try to research ahead of time what you need to rule out yet and what has worked and hasnt and see what he might be able to help with that you havent covered yet