Seeing bankrupcy attorney Tues, advice please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maggiemae55, Sep 25, 2006.

1. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

I read thru several of the posts on this, just wondering if anyone has any specific advice I need to know. I want to be as prepared as possible.

What an emotional roller coaster this is :-(

I'm a single Mom working 3 part time jobs and have basically run out of money. Not the life I dreamed of!

Thanks for any advice!!

Warmly,
    maggie
  2. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

What in particular are your concerns re this appt?
  3. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Some of what he/she will want depends on the type of BK you are filing, I'm sure you know, chapter 7 is full-blown, everything goes down, bankruptcy. All debts are forgiven, and you figure out with your lawyer if you can keep your house and one vehicle.

Chapter 13, you'll repay most/all of your debts on a managed payment plan over a period of years. We have been paying ours for 5 years-only 3 payments to go!! YEAH!!! It has been a long road, but we've learned so much and I believe our lives are in better financial shape than ever.

They will want copies of everything you make payments to-all credit cards, car payments, mortgage, etc. They'll sit with you and make out a budget, or send you home with one to construct on your own.

In a 13, they give you enough for groceries, even things like computer, internet, cell phone, gasoline for your car, insurance, every-day living expenses, etc. All the other debts you're repaying will be reduced to fit this plan. That's how they figure out how long for you to repay.
    Also take all utility bills, too.

In a 7, they'll need copies of everything so they can contact all your debtors to let them know they have to stop immediately any harraasment, sending you notices, calling, etc! THAT is one of the best parts, isn't it-to no longer be harrassed??? I had one of those stupid finance companies call my SUPERVISOR at WORK!!!

THAT's when hubby and I decided it was time to end the circle of craziness.

Anyway, good luck, and may God bless you and help you through all this. Don't let it all get you down. More people go through this than you'll ever know. There is nothing to be ashamed of, and the relief is unreal!! Take care. PG
  4. OWWEE

OWWEE New Member

Just do what you have to do to take care of yourself. I had to let go, just couldn't do it anymore which also meant I had to let the bills go. It will be a relief. Your attorney will go over everything with you. If you don't feel good about this attorney, then see another one. Most do the initial consult for free. Good luck to you.
  5. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

Thank you for your replies. I think I have most everything I need together. I have filled out their intake form and will take that with me today.

I am hoping for relief, I feel like I'm constantly feeling the "fright or flight" , can I go to the grocery or do I pay my electric bill... I have paid everything on time, I just have run out of money and have a lot of credit card debt. Robbing Peter to pay Paul as they say.

Thanks again,

maggie