Seeing my NP in 13 hours...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeavenlyRN, Mar 29, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Hello all. I've been having some increasing problems lately: vertigo, increased pain, nausea, and worsening depression.

I've been reading the boards for months and have garnered a lot of information. Unfortunately, I have neglected to write any of it down. DUH!

Anyhoo, I'm going to see my favorite health care professional tomorrow - the Nurse Practitioner at my rheumatologist's office.

I want to be able to discuss some things intelligently (that'll be new!!). I have a few questions....

1) what works (or not) for you for depression?
    2) what works (or not) for you for pain - either narcotic or non-narcotic?
    3) " " " " " " sleep?

I just realized a little while ago that I just don't have the time to go through a million posts to see what other people are using.

If any of you have 2-3 minutes, could you please just give me a couple of 1-2 word answers? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks - Jan

PS - had to edit this to let you know that my major issue is FM. Thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 03/29/2010]
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi I take lortab 10/500 and clonezpam. vit d3 has really helped with my depression and brainfog.
  3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Thanks very much. I currently have an RX for Clonazepam. But, boy-oh-boy does it knock me out! I started with 2 tabs, went to 1, then tried 1/2 tab last night......and still woke up this morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck. The funny this is, though, that it takes about 3 hours to kick in!

Thanks again for your suggestions.

4. victoria

victoria New Member

Bromelain in large amounts can help with pain. I had an inoperable bone spur in my ankle, could hardly walk on that foot - took a LOT in between meals (so it doesn't act as a digestive enzyme instead) and it made a major difference.

MSM can work, James Coburn (remember him?) is the 'poster boy' for it- he didn't make movies for a long time because of crippling pain from arthritis. He tried everything from latest RXs to faith healing, but it wasn't until he took MSM that he was able to make a few more movies before he died. The 'rule of thumb' is to take it to bowel tolerance - he worked up to 40 GRAMS and his pain was gone. I tried it when I had the bone spur, but my tolerance was about 2 G, and no pain reduction.

SAMe can also help, unless you're prone to mania or taking ADs. It also helped me a lot with my ankle.

Zyflamend was something I was also taking (PH sells it too along with HF stores), along with glucosamine/chondroitin.

I don't know how much these things work for different kinds of pain tho, probably it's a process of experimentation for everyone.

Interestingly, when I was dx'd with that bone spur from an MRI (only way it could be seen, even), Celebrex had just come out. My doctor gave it to me, I took 2 pills and felt 'NORMAL' for a week even tho I quickly realized I couldn't take it because I have an allergy to sulfa. Despite the mild/brief (TG) reaction, the positive effects lasted for a week from those 2 pills! Which indicates to me there's a huge amount of inflammation going on inside me, even tho I don't have the pain associated with Fibro.

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2010]
  5. GinnyB

GinnyB New Member

You have my sympathy. I've been known to forget my own name for a second or two. The time's not important, the forgetting is. It's scary.

What works for me for depression is librium. It's made to help anxiety, which I have plenty of, but I guess I'm depressed because I'm anxious and scared. It's addictive--I had to go off it once because my doctor wanted to try another med that wouldn't go well with it. I thought it would be awful, but it wasn't really. The doctor was surprised, but I was clear of it in two weeks.

I take several things for pain. Sometimes just changing my position helps. If the pain doesn't cover too large an area, I use Lidocaine patches. If the patches don't help, I take a vicodin. This is another addictive med, so I try not to use it too often.

Sleep really hasn't been a problem since I started on CPAP. Have you been tested for sleep apnea? Before I got CPAP, the doctors gave me several different drugs, none of which worked.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your nurse practioner tomorrow. I think the fact that you like her is one big help.

Let me know how you make out.

Best wishes,
  6. MrHappyGoLucky12

MrHappyGoLucky12 New Member

Depression - 5-HTP -

Pain - End Fatigue Pain Formula -

Sleep - Unisom and Revitalizing Sleep Formula -
  7. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

Lyrica, cymbalta
    I take an antidepressant and oc antiinflammatories...did your appointment go well?
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would be very hesitant about using RichV's or Amy Yasko's protocal. She is a DAN doctor which in my estimation is "quacksville".