Seeking advice on best place to live

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by krock, Jun 14, 2013.

1. krock

krock Member

After two attempts to get disability in the US have failed, and being unable to get health insurance... I am considering something I never thought I would - moving to another country. Anyone have insights into which country might be best for a person with fibro and chronic fatigue, among other illnesses? I am thinking in terms of healthcare, disability, not-too-cold weather, affordability, etc. Any input is appreciated!
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I would think that before I moved to another country, I would hire an attorney that deals with SSID and go that route. An attorney would be a heck of a lot cheaper and easier than moving.
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

My husband still works so we have insurance thru his work but a neighbor suffers greatly from gout, has no insurance, refuses to see a doctor on a cash basis because he said in 2014 when Obama care starts it will help him.
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

Toowoomba, Australia
  5. happycfs

happycfs Member

I definitely empathize with your situation. However, if you are going to move, I have a much easier and more practical suggestion for you to consider. Try to find a county, within the U.S., that offers low-to-no-cost health care for the residents. You can find this in a lot of places within Northern California. Many counties offer health care for people who cannot afford it. San Francisco has many free clinics, Sonoma County has excellent health care for their residents who are uninsured, Oakland has something similar. San Jose has an entire hospital with associated clinics.

I know that Southern California has this as well. California really tries to help their ill residents for the most part. There are some areas of course that are not as helpful as others, but with some internet research and a few phone calls, you can find a great place to live with sliding scale health coverage. I am familiar with California, so I know about this. I imagine that there are other states that have something similar. I asked a friend of mine about your post, and he is from Washington state. He said that he got state-issued health coverage very easily there. He has no health problems either. ...Just some thoughts for you. Hang in there, many many many of us know exactly what you are going through!! :) Don't give up just yet.
  6. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Massachusetts is another state where a person MUST be insured. If you don't have insurance, the state provides it. If you have a job, it goes according to your income for premiums, and co-pays for Drs and meds.
  7. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Hawaii provides all their residents with health insurance. The weather is perfect and the people are wonderful. The downside is that it is frightfully expensive, and you'll suffer from ignorance as to the "other two states", (the other being Alaska) that people don't think of when you say "US". People will try and gouge the heck out of you for sending anything to a "foreign country" and you just want to screech "We're a STATE for heaven's sake!" I don't know of a single place on earth that isn't affected by weather or natural disaster of SOME kind. Fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane, tornado - it's a matter of perspective and playing a waiting game. Moving to a foreign country isn't as easy as you might think. You have to have a good reason for wanting to move to their country. And then comes the reality. You're an American, living in a foreign country and you will NEVER be "one of them". I lived in Scotland with my family for awhile and no matter where I went it was "Oh, you're the Yank!" even though my last name was the same as theirs. THEN they would switch to Gaelic to talk about me and laugh! It took forever before I learned the language and the innuendos. And I still was never "one of them". So, think long and hard about THAT one!
  8. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

I would think that moving to another country would be stressful--yes, Northern California does have good programs for the disabled and low-income. The area where we live has good health care for the uninsured, and many low-income apartments and programs for seniors. However, it costs a lot to live out here--and waiting lists for subsidized housing are long.
  9. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I live in So. Cal and thankful for the large portion of alternative healers in my area....housing is expensive, but if money is no object, it's the best climate wise....I lucked in our town as we have rent control apts, but there again, rents continue to go up, but still all in all, the weather wins out. jm
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

If you have a health problem, most countries are NOT going to allow you to immigrate. They want healthy people who are going to be contributing to their economy - not someone who is going to be costing them money. Sad but true reality.
  11. tooks

tooks Member

I have considered Ecuador though there would be a lot of downsides too. You would have to learn Spanish if you don't already know it, and some things that just "work well" in the States don't there--like setting up the practicalities of living, paying rent, utilities, taxes etc. If you could move together with a healthy person, this might not be such an issue.

Ecuador has a choice of good climates from sea-coasts to mountains. It is equitorial so the climate is temperate year round. Some of the attractive cities, like Cuenca, have fairly high altitude, if that would be a problem. Health care and cost of living are much less expensive than the US. But the actual move would be daunting!

Best wishes with this.