Seeking best small town! Moderate home prices...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

small population, no major faults like floods, hurricanes, earthquakes or ???.
    A nice friendly community of few people where it's not too hot or cold, cold better than hot, with construction work within a decent distance. Don't want much huh? Also somewhat integrated, I like a little mixture of cultures. If you can name it I'd like to know about it.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

in the Mid-west. Now I live in Los Angeles. Might as well be on a different planet.

I don't think there are any houses in LA for under half a million. I get the home town paper from Minnesota. You can still buy a house for under $100,000 if you want to live in a really samll town.

Only problems are jobs are scarce and the winters are hell.

Had coworkers from Oregon. They always said it was the best place to live. No tornados, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.
  3. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

IL. We are right by the highway system and can jump on it and be anywhere. They do have alot of construction jobs here. Weather - well they say stick around and it will change. I like the four seasons

Good Luck
    Granny
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

I see from your bio that you were born in W. Va. Any thoughts of going back "home?"

What part of WVA? I live in northeastern KY.

Great small community; however not much work here. Summers are really hot and humid, but winters are not too bad! I have lived in this area and southern Ohio all of my live, so, of course, I love it.

Housing is very reasonable. Only earthquate fault is around Paducah, I think. There is quite a bit of construction going to happen in southern Ohio with a new plant to be build soon.

Hope you find what you're looking for. I personally, would love to go to the smaller towns in the New England states. I think they would be quaint.

Janet
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Bambi:
    Brooklyh Heights, NY might be an option for you.
    Just a lead and it does meet your requirements.
    Hugs,
    NyroFAn
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Athens has been rated #5 for best place to retire by CNN/Money for several reasons...

The main campus of UGA is here so there are lots of 'cultural offerings' ranging from classical music to theater to art, to whatever, lots of interesting restaurants, plus there is an 'underground" music scene (R.E.M. is from here) and the old downtown area is lively because of the more than 35,000 college students;

meanwhile the surrounding area has many of the 'regular' stores like Walmart, Kohls, etc... metro area is about 120,000+, excluding students.

Housing market is one of the cheapest in nation where you have all that Athens offers, you can live 10 minutes from downtown Athens in a brand new standard 4 bdrm ranch home on about an acre for about $150,000 -

- you can go lower priced with older and/or smaller homes or higher with more amenities, etc. I looked at CNN/Money's stats on houses here, and while they say the median house price is $315K or something - I DON"T know where they get that figure!!!! That is not what I see or have looked at, but I guess it depends on what one is looking for...

The land here is rolling, I love it, we're about an hour's drive from the Blue Ridge Mtns which extends into N. Georgia.

We moved here from Chicago in 1978 as we were looking for better weather and ability to live in bit more of a country atmosphere; Athens is a great mix of both. What I really love is that so much stays green year-round instead of looking so grey in the winter.

Weather is no more hot and humid than the Midwest, just lasts longer in the summer... but winters are mild, 'average' temp for Atlanta in Jan is above 50 if I remember... rarely get snow or ice - when we do, it's gone within 24-36 hours or sooner usually - altho it does happen occasionally as we are on the edge of climate zones. But we can go several years without any. The hurricanes are pretty dissipated by the time they reach here if they come up from Gulf this way.

Athens is 60 miles east of Atlanta & international airport, so it is also easy to reach & convenient.

We however are looking for even cheaper, & better weather, looking to move to Mexico when we sell our house & land...

(... wanna buy a 2400 sq ft house plus daylight basement & 15 acres, includes pond, pastures & woods, LOL? Just kidding...)

BTW, we DO have a wonderful support group for CFIDS/FM here as well.

all the best,
    Victoria

ps - OH YEAH, construction is going on like mad around here and all over, extending to Atlanta, etc.... southeast is projected to keep on growing fast)

[This Message was Edited on 01/15/2006]
  7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Thanks for suggestions. We live in the Phoenix valley, in a suburb. We came here from WVa when I was really young and it was still around 100,000 for the valley then! It was clean and
    really a nice place to be.

BUT, I never did like the heat and have gotten more and more to where I can't tolerate it. With the FM it leaves me locked up inside 10 months
    out of the year to keep from cooking alive..and with the Athsm it's inside from the pollution. I love 4 seasons also. I think it's much more healthy for the body.

When we first started thinking about relocating it was two years ago, before the home prices went crazy here and all over the country basically. We could have found some darling little frame houses almost anywhere cool then. Now I look on Realtor.com and see even those are way up over $100,000 now, then they were easily found for $30,000 to $50,000 without much effort and nearly all over. Now it would be a hen house somewhere!

I just love small town living and the fact that people DO know each other and even each other's business to a degree. At least they usually care and show up when a crisis arises.

Here you live next door to someone for 20 years and you are lucky if they say "Hi" when you pass on the way to the mailbox. And it's not ME because I love people and at least at
    first make friends easily or always did before I got sick. Now all my dear friends have died (all were older than I am considerably) and I desperately miss having people to talk to and have visit.

Between the crime, the gazillion cars, the crowds, the pollution, the heat etc etc..I just don't like it at all any more. And the dry heat? Ha! Not with all the new man made lakes, golf courses etc..people now come here healthy and develop Asthma, allergies and all the things they used to come here to be cured from.

Speaking of books! Sorry! Thanks again for the ideas. Bambi
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

in Washington State. Mild weather year round, in rain shadow, but all the West coast, Oregon, Washington as well can have earthquakes and Tsunamis. Corvallis is nice(Oregon) Sequim Wa, is a great small town and Port Angeles, but the house prices have doubled there to about $200,000 plus

Cortland NY is very cheap, and all the surrounding towns such as Ithaca,(voted best small city in USA) Corning etc, lovely homes for well under $100,000 in some but the winters can be cold, very cold. But good skiing.

Good luck
    Crom
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Go to Citystats.com on google and they list population, home prices, schools, hospitals, weather. Saratoga Springs and Cooperstown NY are both lovely and not to expensive either.
    Crom
  10. damz68

damz68 New Member

Athens is a great town. Greenville SC is also very nice. Weather is nice and natural disaters are nill, other than our recent ice storm.
  11. Bren5

Bren5 New Member

There are a lot of great little towns in Lancaster County, PA.
  12. nselissen

nselissen New Member

I live in Green Bay WI. Home of the Packers...lol It is a great community and very friendly people. Always close to some Highway. Not far from beautiful Sturgeon Bay. Construction Constantly. Interest rates are really low for housing right now. Everybody islooking to buy. I am looking to sell because I can't go up and down steps much anymore. It really is a nice city. We can even give you a cheese head.....lol
    Nancy
  13. squirtpepper

squirtpepper New Member

Hi Bambi. We moved here 3 years ago from Alaska. Although we get a lot of rain some years, usually our weather is really mild. And it's green here 12 months a year!!! No snow to speak of. We have about 45,000 in our little town and are 40 miles SW of Portland, so it's really quiet here. We're pretty much out in the country.

We love it here, but everyone is so different in their needs and wants. Hope you find what you are looking for.
  14. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Oh, that makes me feel bummed about you not being happy in AZ. My husband and I really like the Oro Valley in Tucson.

We live in San Diego and the climate is practically perfect, but the cost of living is too much. We wanted to sell our house and cash out on a home in Oro Valley. But, maybe I better stay there for a week in the summer. We were looking around last May and it was perfect at that time. The heat zaps me also.

Hope you get some good suggestions.

Laura