Seeking FM/CFS Retreat, Resort, Day/Night Center, Safe Place...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrokimm, Oct 10, 2002.

1. fibrokimm

fibrokimm New Member

I am desperately seeking a faith based model of a Resort Retreat, Bed and Breakfast..designed and created specifically for persons with fm/cfs.

I have dreamed of this place and so often I could have benefitted from such a serene therapeutic place to go to or check into whenever I needed to.

A one stop shopping for support, encouragement, safe monitoring, understanding, networking, counseling, support groups, safe monitoring(place), offering education (workshops) prevention and social services, emergency financial services/scholorships, intervention services and creative arts therapy, massage therapy, library, tai chi, yoga etc. and of course a pool.

It would also be nice if there were access several times a week where fm/cfs expert professional and compassionate doctors provide pro bono services.

How does one seek out funding for such a concept ? 5013c not for profit license...fundraisers... Maybe this dream of mine is for me to create...but this illness has taught me that I con do nothing of this magnitude alone anymore. yet it has remained a constant dream within me and my illness will not let me forget my journy and how I have suffered because I didn't know how coordinate my own service needs and I hadn't yet found the power of the support group. But more importantly, I cannot forget my brothers and sisters who suffer and are alone and have no help and no where to turn. Giving back is what makes this illness bearable and helps to keep me in check.

If anyone has any ideas for seeking out resources, grants funding, for such a place, I would appreciate any help and or suggestions.

I feel that god has put this on my heart and because it is something I had always wanted to do, I had no idea that it would be a place created specifically for people like you and me.

I realize and now believe that God put this idea/concept on my heart and I know he can see further down the road than I can. I am a vissionary and I believe in things that I can not see...and I see this place as clear as day.

And "in the late afternoon of my life (copyright 2001)" I feel compelled to only do things of substance and purpose. Would anyone enjoy and benefit and travel to a place like this ?

Blessings,
    fibrokimm
    fibrokimm@bellsouth.net
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2002]
  2. fibrokimm

fibrokimm New Member

I am desperately seeking a faith based model of a Resort Retreat, Bed and Breakfast..designed and created specifically for persons with fm/cfs.

I have dreamed of this place and so often I could have benefitted from such a serene therapeutic place to go to or check into whenever I needed to.

A one stop shopping for support, encouragement, safe monitoring, understanding, networking, counseling, support groups, safe monitoring(place), offering education (workshops) prevention and social services, emergency financial services/scholorships, intervention services and creative arts therapy, massage therapy, library, tai chi, yoga etc. and of course a pool.

It would also be nice if there were access several times a week where fm/cfs expert professional and compassionate doctors provide pro bono services.

How does one seek out funding for such a concept ? 5013c not for profit license...fundraisers... Maybe this dream of mine is for me to create...but this illness has taught me that I con do nothing of this magnitude alone anymore. yet it has remained a constant dream within me and my illness will not let me forget my journy and how I have suffered because I didn't know how coordinate my own service needs and I hadn't yet found the power of the support group. But more importantly, I cannot forget my brothers and sisters who suffer and are alone and have no help and no where to turn. Giving back is what makes this illness bearable and helps to keep me in check.

If anyone has any ideas for seeking out resources, grants funding, for such a place, I would appreciate any help and or suggestions.

I feel that god has put this on my heart and because it is something I had always wanted to do, I had no idea that it would be a place created specifically for people like you and me.

I realize and now believe that God put this idea/concept on my heart and I know he can see further down the road than I can. I am a vissionary and I believe in things that I can not see...and I see this place as clear as day.

And "in the late afternoon of my life (copyright 2001)" I feel compelled to only do things of substance and purpose. Would anyone enjoy and benefit and travel to a place like this ?

Blessings,
    fibrokimm
    fibrokimm@bellsouth.net
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2002]
  3. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

If God has put this in your vision..go for it. There is a purpose in life for everyone and this may be yours. I wouldnt even know how to get started but ever think of maybe nascar? drivers donating to funds happen very often, just a thought.
    Carlacat
  4. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Where are you? The closest place I have come to heaven is Door county Wisconsin.
    Every time I go there my little mind begins to wonder, and I think, if only.
    But then I hear it is brutal in the winter, so your location is a factor.
    There should be all sorts of government funded grants out there, they fund everything else.
    Maybe in the privite sector also, but that would take some research.
    I know of no one place specifically like this, only B&B's that are smoke free, prepare natural breakfast, and clean with vinegar water .
    Smiles
    SharonR
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

A place like you describe sounds really wonderful-especially right now. Sorry I can't help you with the organization of it, but hopefully someone else on the board can help. If such a place existed, I bet people would go there as often as time and finances allowed.

Ellen
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

This sounds like a wonderful--idea---perhaps contacting one or more of the national foundations for cfs and fm, would be beneficial. Their sponsorship might expediate this idea, into actuality. My son was interested in beginning a non profit organization, and we found that there are an infinite amounts of grants and funding available. There are even entities, individuals and companies who specialize in seeking grants, and additionally writing the applications for grants. It would also further enhance your cause, if you could find someone of celebrity status, who suffers from such, to use as a spokesperson, and to assist with the workload. We found tons of valuable information--online--concerning Non Profit Organizations. Best Wishes...in this worthwhile endeavor!
    Karen
  7. DebinMN

DebinMN New Member

I also have this dream...but I want to be there always---away from the real world. (except hubby wouldnt come with so that idea wont work)....near the ocean is a must because the ocean is soothing and peaceful to me...I have no idea how to even begin finding a place or the funds....but would help if pointed in the right direction
  8. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

I live in the bay area in california and live alone most of the time. I have peace and privacy and nature and animals around me. That is good. But I think the weather should be a factor. Maybe try to get a place in Hawaii?? where it is always warm.
    I'd help you set this place up. I'm sure we could get grants and loans, but the travel would be expensive for everyone to go to Hawaii. Where else is it warm all the time???
    The only problem with this type of place...NO ONE WOULD WANT TO LEAVE!!!
    hugs,
    ~Gina
  9. fibrokimm

fibrokimm New Member

All of your ideas, suggestions and feedback are most appreciated. I'm going to do it and keep it simple for starters. One can always expand later. Although Hawaii sounds fabulous...the expense is an issue.

Actually, I'm looking at Tennessee because for one it is serene, peaceful and the real estate deals are unbelievable. In addition, the winters are very mild. Presently I live in Florida and I have about had more than enough. The summers and the rainy season are horrible. I look forward to a bit of brisk chill and a roaring fireplace.

Well, enough for now. I will be working on this goal after I get relocated and settled in Tennessee (11/1/02). I do have my research cut out for me and would appreciate it if anyone happens to come across any resources that might be helpful to pass it on. I also need to get all the facts and info on getting that non profit license

I'm also open to anyone wanting to work on the project with me (Gina, where are you ?). So what if we are spread all over the country (and or world). I believe in miracles and endless possibilities.

The bottom line is that I want to give back, which in turn helps me. I would have given an arm and a leg if I had acess to some safe and nurturing place to go ( and I'm not talking about a psychiatric ward lol). Been there done that, thanks to fm/cfs.

God Bless
    fibrokimm
    [This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  10. LindaH

LindaH New Member

This sounds like heaven. I live in Bolivar, TN. I would be willing to help if there is anything I could do. Not too great but I'm willing. If you gcould get grants so it wouldn't be so expensive you would have more business than you probably would want. Hope you have a good transition to Tennessee, safe trip and all. Let us know if you come up with anything. I know several with FM.

God Bless
    Linda
  11. SleepyWillow25

SleepyWillow25 New Member

That is exactly what I have been wanting to do but of course I am not rich, and my hubby is out of work and is chronically ill also.

I htink it is a wonderful idea which i have had for two years now. It is badly needed, if only i had the damn money :(

Belle