Seeking help interpreting Shoemaker test results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rrrr, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

hi all,

i just did the list of shoemaker recommended test regarding mold (to see if i've been mold-toxified and if i have trouble detoxing mold). is there anyone who is in a position to help me interpret the test results? (i have yet to read the book that helps with this, tho i have it: Mold Warriors). some of the results are in, and some are still coming in.

these are the tests i did, AND MY TEST RESULTS SO FAR ARE BELOW (only the Quest ones are back, not the ones done at LabCorp):

- HLA DR by PCR (LabCorp)
    - MSH (LabCorp)
    - Leptin (Quest)
    - VEGF (Quest)
    - MMP9 (Quest)
    - C3a and C4a (LabCorp, then routed and processed at Nat'l Jewish Center in Denver--NOT CAMBRIDGE)

thanks,
    rivka
    _____

RESULTS

Leptin
    Leptin 17.1 ng/mL *1
    Reference range for Leptin:
    Adult Lean Subjects with BMI range of 18-25:
    Adult Males: 1.2-9.5 ng/mL
    Adult Females: 4.1-25.0 ng/mL
    BMI = Body Mass Index = Body weight in kilograms/Height
    in Meters (exp.2)

Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF), ELISA (14512X)
    VEGF [H] 89 pg/mL 31-86 *3

MMP-9 Matrix Metalloproteinase-3
    MMP-9 734 ng/mL
    18 - 60y: 0 - 983

[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2008]
  2. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

3. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

here is an update, which includes "ALL RIVKA'S SHOEMAKER TEST RESULTS" (I think the C3a and C4a are still missing, tho...) Anyone up for helping me to interpret them via shoemaker's eyes? -- rivka

Leptin
    Leptin 17.1 ng/mL *1
    Reference range for Leptin:
    Adult Lean Subjects with BMI range of 18-25:
    Adult Males: 1.2-9.5 ng/mL
    Adult Females: 4.1-25.0 ng/mL
    BMI = Body Mass Index = Body weight in kilograms/Height
    in Meters (exp.2)

Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF), ELISA (14512X)
    VEGF [H] 89 pg/mL (ref range 31-86)

MMP-9 Matrix Metalloproteinase-3
    MMP-9 734 ng/mL (ref range 18 - 60y: 0 - 983)

MSH 11 (ref range is 0-40) (I think shoemaker says that lower is worse)

HLA DRB, DQB Typing:
    DRBI 1104
    DRB1 1301
    HLA DQ 03CFTD
    HLA DQ 06CGAC
    DRB3 01USC
    DRB3 02CYUC[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2008]
  4. ragu

ragu New Member

Hello, I am in the same situation as you and need help with Dr. Shoemaker lab tests. Were you able to find any help?
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

6. Lono83

Lono83 New Member

The reference ranges for all the tests besides the HLA-DR should be included with your lab results. Dr. Shoemaker also has a reference range page on his website:

http://www.biotoxin.info/images/labrefrangesheet.pdf

One thing to note, Dr. Shoemaker has run these tests thousands of times so he has a lot of data. He believes the reference range for melanocyte stimulating hormone from LabCorp (it says 0-41 is the "normal range") is incorrect. See -

http://www.biotoxin.info/shoemakerblog/viewtopic.php?t=31
  7. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Leptin is high and showing signs of inflammation...should be 8 or so.
    MMP-9 should be under 350..once again inflammation.
    MSH is low. Should be 35.

Overall, Actos would probably help. You probably have leptin resistance which causes low MSH and then a cascade of symptoms. Do you have pain, fatigue, frequent urination even though you are thirsty? Poor unrefreshed sleep?

8. consuegra

consuegra New Member

I too am trying to work my way through the tests of Shoemaker for my daughter. The MMP-9 went through Quest to Esoterix lab. Their reference range is 0-983 ng/mL. My daughter's number was 888. I assume that this is high, as Shoemaker says the reference range is something like 40-350. I assume that he has his own reference range, built out of his experience?

The VEGF was 40, which is in the lower part of normal. Whether Shoemaker would consider this normal or low I have no idea.

Soon I will get back c3a, c4a, and TGF beta 1.

One of the problems with doctor/researchers like Shoemaker is that he is the go to guy and no one else knows what to do with these numbers.

Chris[This Message was Edited on 07/27/2010]
  9. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

It turns on good genes, turns off bad genes and shuts off that inflammation.