Seeking inexpensive retreat, monastery, place to find quiet....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hubcap_halo, Jul 13, 2008.

1. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Hello all,

I'm still inching my way back to being able to work, and while I've made some progress, I'm not even to the point where I can do full part time days. I've been looking for 2-4 hour positions, so far no luck.

BUT in the meantime I really need a time out of city, someplace very healthy and quiet---I'm looking into everything from cottages to buddhist monasteries.

I like the Monastery idea, because I like the idea of just sharing a peace space and meals and very modest living with other peace seeking folks.

You know how some vacations can be work? I need the opposite. And yet I'm on a budget and cannot spend much.

I don't have any family or friends with space near nature so I've got to find something else.

Curious if anyone has found some nice places....
  2. grace54

grace54 New Member

You have done much good work on yourself from looking at your profile. I have substantially recovered and seldom come here but I saw your message today and thought I would drop in. I lived in NY(Adirondacks) as a kid and went back to visit as an adult and finally visited the Blue Mountain area and Lake Placid. My brother still lives up that way and the area that is state land is set aside as forever wild and I go and visit the same swimming holes I enjoyed as a kid, beautiful serene rivers with no houses on them virtually unchanged.

The Adirondack park is the largest park setting in the US. So this is an option if you want solitude, maybe find a cabin to rent for a week or so. There may well be some monasteries or retreats up that way. You are only a few hours away from seclusion and untouched beauty.

I have studied similar approaches to CFS as you have and I must say much of my recovery included a spiritual/ mind body healing approach. I think you on on the right path. This spring I was introduced to a nutritious drink that I have spoke of in other posts that literally rebuilt my energy deficient cells ,

I believe: and gave me energy I had not had in years. It has been about six months now and I am still feeling good and finding a whole new life again, gratefully. I believe my body needed the right nutrition to complement my other work with the Dr. T protocol and my emotional and spiritual healing that I worked so hard at accomplishing. Keep up the good work and remember our bodies will heal if we treat them holistically. Blessings.
  3. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

The Blue Mountain area you describe sounds amazing!
    I will look into visiting there.

I'm so glad you've found healing! Coming into remission from this condition is like no miracle I've ever experienced. I look forward to this good work I'm doing paying off with another remission (even 75-80% to me is wonderful and I'm able to work) and this time I hope to help it stay more permanent....

Ok. Bless you too!

4. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

I have a male friend who lives in NYC who id recovering from CFS. He just spent time in a monestary somewhere in NE and I emailed him to find out details. I'll let you know when he gets back with me.
  5. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I would love to know where he went!

I would love to spend time in a quiet, spiritual environment!

Thank you
  6. NicolaG2

NicolaG2 New Member

just did a web search to try and find the VA monastry that a friend of mine goes to for weekend retreats.

Couldn't find it but came across You can search by state for retreats and it seems to list loads with brief info about the type of retreat on offer.
  7. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Be aware that some retreats that welcome outsiders have residents e.g. monks etc, who have taken vows of silence and may only speak for a limited period at a designated time each week or day.

Depending on the rules, guests may be expected to assume the same periods of silence while in retreat.

Needless to say, no cell, tv etc.
  8. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I will check that website.

And I would welcome silence!

Anyone see the movie Fargo? When Steve Buscemi was angry with his crime partner for not talking at all on the long car ride? So Steve Buscemi said "Two can play at that game, smart guy....Total silence, see how you like it."

And he kept repeating, "Total silence."

Man that cracked me up.
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Patrick,

Quite a few years ago (I think just before I got sick), I was in NM and went to a place called Abiquiu. It's where Georgia O'Keefe lived.

There's a place there called Ghost Ranch, which I think may have been a monastery at one time. I think they have college classes and business retreats there, but maybe they also let people stay and work.

I was thinking during our visit that maybe it would be a good place to isolate myself to work on my dissertation. The rooms were not very impressive, but I really liked the feeling of the area. It's quite remote and extremely beautiful. THe quality of the light was amazing.

I looked briefly on the Web, and a lot of people were complaining about the quality of the rooms (cheap furniture, not very good cleaning staff) and the food. That wouldn't be the point of visiting there though.

One guy complained for a while, then said he was going to keep bringing his family there every year regardless. Hmm.

I can't tell what the price is or even (for sure) if they just let rooms to people who aren't enrolled in their program. And I'm really not recommending it, because I don't know enough about it.

The only other place I ever thought about staying at for a long time on a "retreat" was a 16th Century ryokan in the north part of Japan. Their hot springs there were amazing, and I felt like a samurai stopping by after a long journey.

The food at the Japanese place was really good though.

Anyway, Ghost Ranch must have had a real appeal if I ever considered holing up there.

abiquiu "ghost ranch"

Best, lisa
  10. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Ghost Ranch sounds very cool.
    I'm very ok with modest accomodations, though I'm kind of picky about food. I need fresh, fresh food. Healthy food. I'll check into it.

Thank you so much for the post.
    The place in Japan sounds incredible.

Hey, we got sick the same year!
    We could throw a party with cakes and pinatas filled with supplements.
  11. simonedb

simonedb Member

I havent stayed over at this one but someone I know did and said it was inexpensive and quiet and quaint.......
  12. landra

landra New Member

There is an actual monastery near there. It is called Christ in the Desert and is a Benedictine monastery = silence. And boy, is the desert silent! You can find information by just googling "monastery,Abiquiu NM".
    Ghost Ranch has a "Casa del Sol Spirituality and Retreat Center" which says individual retreats are possible. Google "Ghost Ranch, New Mexico."
    You would need transportation. Both places are a good two hours north of Albuquerque. You could rent a car at the airport of course.
    Althought I think they are wonderful, it does not sound like they fit in your "inexpensive" need.
    Landra in New Mexico
  13. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Every idea and link helps.
    I really need a retreat and I'm looking into all of these.
    thank you!

14. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Patrick,

If you decide to do this, I would suggest leaving all your stuff from your apartment behind (or in storage).

It sounds like part of the point of these places is to let go of the idea that material things are important. I would think you could get by with just a couple of pieces of clothes and a few other items, which you could buy after you arrived.

This would be an ideal way for you to test to see if poison mold exposure is making your illness worse. I suspect it will be a lot easier to avoid poison mold in the places that you're talking about than in New York City!

I know that's not the reason for the trip, but it could be a side benefit. Knowledge is power.

Please let me know if you want to discuss a bit more before your trip. I would be happy to do that.

Best, Lisa
  15. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

Not sure if this helps, but I spoke with Andrew and he said the monastery he stayed in in Boston you have to have developed an established relationship with them. Didn't go into details about that I'm guessing he did certain things to get in and I also think this one is based on religion and was a carmelite place. He asked if you were more inclined for an eastern/western type place... I said most likely eastern or buddhist. He said you can email him...but we can't exchange on here so if you want to talk to him let me know. I don't know how I can give you his email. He also said google "trappist" "benedictine" and said Vermont has good buddhist ones. How long do you want to go for?
  16. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Thank you Cat003,

I am up to visiting almost anywhere. But I also realize I must do this on a budget. Or if possible, find an Ashram or place that will let me do some part time work for room and board. I just looked into spirit rock and they have scholarships! Thank you!!!!!

Absolutely. I want to simply sublet my apartment---from 1 to 6 months and do this retreat. Now that I look at my finances, if I'm going to go for more than a month I really need to find a way to work for my room and board or get a scholarship. Yes, the whole point is to really get away from everything here for a time and see if my health improves faster in nature...

Brainfoggy---thank you so much for talking to your friend. I would love to talk more. patrick at skylab-inc dot com....I would lean more towards an eastern oriented place, although it's not essential. Basically if I could stay there and perhaps even help/work some to offset my costs, I'm not so concerned about the orientation of the place as long as there is a gentle, live and let live vibe. But yes, yoga and eastern meditation are practices of mine...

Hi Cat,

My sister loves that book--"Eat, Pray, Love." I have not read it.
    But the Ashram you mentioned looks really great. And they also have programs for volunteers for short 1-6 months stays.

Thank you thank you!!!!!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 07/18/2008]
  17. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there,
    If I were going to go "get away", I'd choose a quiet mountain retreat in Colorado (I live in Colorado but not in the mountains). There are lots of great little out of the way places where you can rent a cabin type place, along side a river, be part of nature. Nothing more spectacular in my book - Of course, the ocean to me is awesome (literally) but I think it's much more expensive to stay any place close to there.
    I would certainly also consider a place in New Mexico near Albuquerque or Santa Fe. Incredible country. Incredible people.

BTW - I love your "birthday" response on your profile!!
    Can I use that?
  18. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

Feel free to use my birthday response.

And thank you for the suggestion.

Where do you live in CO?
    I'm having to consider making a move and
    I know absolutely nothing about Colorado except that it's beautiful and

Are there cities there with milder winters?
  19. simonedb

simonedb Member

so I had to go look at yr profile after the post about yr bday
    off topic question--did you get to see nirvana when you were in seattle, or wasnt it before 94?
  20. hubcap_halo

hubcap_halo New Member

I saw Nirvana in Minneapolis at First Avenue in 1991. Nevermind had just been released. It was incredible.

I moved to Seattle in 1995 so Nirvana was over by then.

Are you a Nirvana fan?