Seeking info on CFS/FM effects on whiplash recovery, PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by virgobuddy, Sep 16, 2002.

1. virgobuddy

virgobuddy New Member

I was rear-ended three times within four months about a year ago. I was stationary at a traffic light each time I got hit. Of course the insurance company wants to terminate my PIP benefits even though I still have pain and am continuing to see my chiro and massage therapist, although I'm down to less than one chiro visit a week vs. three visits a week just after the accidents.

My question is, does anyone know of any studies done regarding the added intensity of pain and the increased time it (apparently) takes to heal from a soft-tissue injury for someone with CFS/FM? Are there any Drs out there who would attest to the fact that CFS/FM make injuries exponentially worse? Any input will be very much appreciated!
    A
  2. virgobuddy

virgobuddy New Member

I was rear-ended three times within four months about a year ago. I was stationary at a traffic light each time I got hit. Of course the insurance company wants to terminate my PIP benefits even though I still have pain and am continuing to see my chiro and massage therapist, although I'm down to less than one chiro visit a week vs. three visits a week just after the accidents.

My question is, does anyone know of any studies done regarding the added intensity of pain and the increased time it (apparently) takes to heal from a soft-tissue injury for someone with CFS/FM? Are there any Drs out there who would attest to the fact that CFS/FM make injuries exponentially worse? Any input will be very much appreciated!
    A
  3. Egraine

Egraine New Member

kinda hard to say..did u have CFS/Fibro b4 your accidents? i can only tell u my experience, but it's not good...i had migraines 2-3 times a year b4 the accident. got in a car wreck in which i had a whiplash injury, had migraines 4-5 times a week. i hurt on both sides of my back and had trigger points popping up all over the place! if u had those diseases, since autoimmunes love company, u may have triggered something else, like lupus or APS (ANTIPHOSPHOLIPID SYNDROME)which migraines are a symptom.
    i would make very sure that u absolutely have NO more pain! i settled seven years after my accident, when i turned 26, a year later, because i suddenly had APS after the accident i had a stroke, and 5 years ago i got fibromyalgia. it's connected supposedly to any bodily injury, either illness or accident. $16000 seemed like lot then, it certainly doesn't now. u didn't mention whether u had the diseases already but i am assuming so...if so,how long have u had them? one thing i would suggest, if and only if u have migraines, take 2 samples of blood and test the for any type of antibodies to the lipids in your body...doctor will know what u mean...if both come out normal, around 2-3 months separating them, you're fine. however, if you're asking how long are u going to be in pain, when will it end? i'm going on 21 years and there are days when my neck is about a 4 on the pain scale, that's a good day. i don't think it will ever get better than that, sorry to say. especially your case with multiple hits. but if you're down on med visits, your case could be different...do what u feel is the right thing to do, but don't let any of them rush u!
  4. virgobuddy

virgobuddy New Member

Sorry to hear of your relentless pain. Have you tried lymphatic massage? It's worked great for me, and it doesn't hurt!

Thanks for the input on the bloodwork. I'll talk to my Dr. about it. I appreciate your help.