Seeking New Doctor in Michigan

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by dwa800, Oct 4, 2010.

1. dwa800

dwa800 New Member

I'm new to this board and freaking out. My GP recently informed me he was moving - and only gave me TWO weeks notice!! I have been on opioid/narcotics for past 8 years for chronic pain (see below), and now have to find another doctor, which scares me because I don't want anyone to think I am doctor shopping.

In addition to FMS (which I was diagnosed in 1992....when it was not widely known about, by my internist was up on it), I also have had 2 cervical spine surgeries, with permanent nerve damage, that causes intense burning pain down my arms. I also have chronic daily headaches that become migraine (or migraine-like) about once every 7-10 days, including aura, vomiting and need total silence and darkness. Also, I recently found out I have a herniated (not bulging) disck in my lumbar spine. This causes constant pain in my left leg (siatica nerve pain) all the way down to my foot - I literally can't stand stationary for more than 1 minute without feeling like I want to jump out of my skin.

Anyway, I am in metro Detroit and am needing to find a compassionate doctor that will listen and understand my situation and condition. The opioids make it possible for me to make it through the day. They do not have any effect on my mentally; rather, I am just able to function like a normal human being does without the medication.

If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I looked around on this board, but could not find anything that was a good match (doesn't mean it isn't out there; I just didn't come across it).

Thank you in advance for any help!!

Scared in Pain

2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

If you are looking for a new GP, have you asked the old GP for recommendations? He knows the various doctors (including the doctors that may be on any health plan you are on) and may be able to suggest other good GPs for you to go too.

If that doctor has already left, contact his office and ask his staff that are probably fielding the leftover calls or situations that may result. They probably knew from working with the GP, who he felt were very good doctors. Good luck and I hope this works.
  3. dwa800

dwa800 New Member

I did have a list of several doctors the office gave me. Unfortunately, many were located pretty far from me; while some did not accept my insurance. Ultimately, I continued to do research on the internet and called several offices, spoke to the office manager and explained my medical history and if they thought the doctor and his/her philosophy matched with what I was looking for in a doctor. I decided on one of the doctors (and his practice), and scheduled an appointment with him for later this month. I hope it works out well!

Again, thank you for taking the time to read my post and provide some good advice.