Seizure Meds for FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Toga, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Toga

Toga Member

My granddaughter texted me today and asked if I had ever taken seizure meds. I haven't. She then quoted some research she found that recommends this.

It seems to me these kinds of meds would make one sleeping and lethargic. I just wanted to see if any of you have heard of this and if any of tried it.

If you did try it, what was the result?

Thanks for reading

2. msnova74

msnova74 New Member

I have at times, but I am not currently on any. I tend to have really weird side effects. LOL

Here are the ones I have tried

Trileptol Low dose- this worked amazingly well on the pain. however it made me so sleepy that I could not function.

Topamax- This worked so so on the pain. However it gave me energy, and I lost weight. The bad was that I developed kidney stones and high eye pressures.

Neurontin- was a happy middle between the two. It also helped with sleep. The bad side was it triggered migranes, and the 50 lbs I gained.

Hope this helps.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It has been a God send to me. Others take Neurontin, an antiseizure med in a different family of drugs. I take mine at bedtime so I can sleep. Without it, my neurons won't stop overfiring to allow me to get the good quality sleep I need. The longer I've taken it, 11 years now, the better it works. It helps with pain and sensory overload too.

The downside--if one ever wants to stop taking these meds, one must wean VERY slowly off of them to minimize withdrawal symptoms. These drugs produce a physical dependence on them, which is not the same thing as addiction.

Love, Mikie
  4. Toga

Toga Member

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea what any seizure meds were. I now realize that I was on one for a short time several years ago.

A doc started me on Neurontin, a small dose to start with the goal of increasing the dosage gradually. I remember that all I wanted to do was sleep. I would sometimes wake up and not remember laying down.

I went off of it then. I have since been told (I don't know who told me) that Lyrica is a very similar drug. Needless to say, I have no desire to try that one.

I also was on Cymbalta for several months. It seemed to work for a while and then it didn't. I was also involved in a drug study several years ago for Milnacipran. It helped but I gained 40 lbs that I still can't lose. I am told that it is now called Savella since the FDA has approved it.

I guess I need to just keep on doing what I am doing now. I take 40 mg generic Prozac each morning. I take generic Ambien for sleep. I take Tylonol once a day, usually late afternoon when I start serious aching. I used to take Tylonol every six hours. I decided I didn't need that much and why stress my liver?

I am allergic to any pain meds I have tried. Vicodin, Ibuprophen, Asperin, Tramadol, Nsaids, and any others. No doctor has suggested any stronger meds. I would probably be allergic to any of them also. I would love to be able to take Aleve. OH well.

I also take High BP meds and a powder that I dissolve in water for Cholesterol. I also take vitamins and several supplements

Anyway, I guess I'm not going to try any seizure drugs. If any of you have any other ideas I would appreciate knowing. Thanks so mouch

5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have taken Neurotin--geniric to gapatentin. I know it makes me sleepy, but it definately helps with the cramps in my hands and feet and I guess one would say it calms my brain down. Yes, I gained weight on it---I'm not exactly sure how much. --as I have taken other meds for different things too, so it is hard to pin the weight on just one drug.
  6. luigi21

luigi21 Member

yes i have fibro, was on gabapentin (neurotin) for 3 and a half years, i found them helpful, but had to keep upping them and the jerking limb movements a side effect i began to suffer at a high dose, made taking them unbearable after that, but for a while they were great. theres also a newer one called pregablin i never got on with that one. but yes the idea, same as why they prescribe anti depressants and other drugs is to dampen down excited nerves, so i'd say give them a go

all the best