Selective memory anyone??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Debgene56, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

My memory used to excellent. 20 years ago I said goodbye to somebody I loved dearly, because it was the right thing to do. I can picture everything about him vividly, except for his last name. I blocked it out or something, and there is no way it is coming back.

When family or friends say hey remember when we did this or that? They know every detail, and my mind is like what are they talking about? I will remember very little of it, and it is hazzy as best. On the other hand I am excellant at numbers, I remember my childhood phone # and the neighbors from almost 40 years ago. I remember doc numbers and my SS number and birthdays.

This drives me nuts, and I wonder if I should be concerned about it. This has been going on for many years.I remember what I need to, like day to day stuff.

Any ideas?
    Love, Deb
  2. tiredmum3

tiredmum3 New Member

I was recently "officially" diagnosed but have had fibro fog for many years, most of the time we just all struck it up to I was absent minded or dizzy....but now that there is a term to it, how do I explain to my family, friends and co-workers that I really can't help it and I really do know what I am talking about, I just can't remember what they said half an hour ago or what we did a week ago, I feel lost sometimes because I honestly can't remember, my kids have gotten used to me going into a room and not knowing why I'm there or asking them the same thing I did 5 minutes before and they have been very patient with me but others are growing less patient with me because it has gotten progressively worse. Any suggestions? P.S. I am brand new to this site and hope I have entered into the message boards correctly. THANKS
  3. spazmonkey

spazmonkey New Member

It's funny because i cant remember anything but i can definitely remember numbers! That is soo wierd!

It is soooo frustrating when your telling a story but get the brain fog and can't remember the rest of the story. I know in the past i have "told lies" because i can't remember what i was going to say so i just make up anything that comes to mind out of embarrassment and anxiety-i've stopped doing that now and have learned to laugh at myself more. I get anxious when i start to forget as well, because i dont want to look "stupid". This just aggravates the situation even more.
  4. bejo

bejo New Member

I think we all have it,it's fibrofog.Sometimes it's not as bad as other times.But I don't remember numbers,actually numbers are the hardest thing for me to remember.It's not just forgetting though,it makes it really hard to concentrate.It takes time, but you will learn of ways to remind yourself of things.Some days it makes you feel really dumb.LOL Then there are the days when it makes you feel even dumber. LOLOL I guess we have to laugh at it or it would drive you nuts. bejo
  5. srollins

srollins New Member

This is bad.

I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I can remember every mean thing anyone has done to me and when they did it. Now that is BAD! Actually It is sick. do any of you tend to be that way? Do you think that is from
    dealing w/FM/CFS for so long. I go back as far as at least 1977 with this DD.

Shirley