Seniors..........need some perspective.........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Oct 17, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've been having this horrible feeling every time I wake up; usually 2-3x/night & lst thing in the morning. Just pure "dread"; can't think of another word to describe it.

Just wondering if any of you have had this. It's been going on for about a year now, and I'm really wanting to get rid of it.

Anyone??

LIGHT************carole
  2. maedaze

maedaze New Member

this might be a side affect of a medication, or even from a combination of meds. you poor thing, things are bad enough, without the feelings of dread everymorning.

This is one symptom i don't have, mornings are hard enough on there own.

Hope you get this sorted or someone has a better idea out there on what this could be from.
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Carole,
    How terrible! I don't have any real knowledge about this, except my own experience.

I do know that anxiety is a symptom of our DD's. Sometimes the same thing happens to me. I usually take Rescue Remedy, and then it goes away for a while. I don't think it has anything to do with our age.

Another thing I do, is, when I notice the anxiety, I try to relax, and recognize it as anxiety, and as a symptoom of my illness, then try to think of other things. That relieves my mind, and I'm not worrying all day.

Good luck, and big hugs,
    Terry
  4. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

Google "impending doom". Lots and lots of info. Is this what you are feeling?

Dee
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I'm sure it could be any of the above, and I do have rescue bedside, so I'll try that.

The impending "doom" could be apart of it, but it's more like........oh, no I'm still here.

The last episode of this happened after my near death experience when I was in my late 20's (years ago). I couldn't believe I hadn't crossed over, as I had been in such peace.

Thanks for all your suggestions........

LIGHT***********carole
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Carole, I'd guess it's anxiety and you don't even have to have anything in particular to be anxious about. I find that if I "get into my head" and concentrate on thinking calm thoughts, I can interrupt this feeling.

I have a few affirmations I like that seem to do the trick for me most of the time. I concentrate on them and say them over and over, breathing slowly and deeply until I feel the dread lift. My favorites are:

Everything I need to know is revealed to me. "Everything I need comes to me. All is well in my life."

These are courtesty of Heal Your Body by Louise Hay. She wrote a nice little book full of affirmations for everything you can think of. Regardless of your faith, they are positive messages to send to our brain when our neurotransmitters aren't doing their job - as in the case of this type of anxiety. Some folks may prefer a Bible verse that comforts them.

On the other hand, there could be something specific you're feeling anxious about but dismissing. Getting fears out in the open and dealing with them helps them fade away too.

Good luck with this. Anxiety is the pits. I've dealt with it for most of my life until I found this way to handle it. This is better for me than meds.

Marta

PS. Except for possible hormonal implications, I don't think it's age-related.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2006]
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I discovered this a few years ago after a therapist told me to touch my stomach because I could not "get out of my head" - couldn't access feelings.

When you're lying there in bed, put your hands on your stomach and just lie there. You should notice after several minutes that you're starting to feel calmer and more centered.

I've done this many times, and it always calms me down. 20 minutes seems to be a good length of time to do it. So it would be perfect to do while you're lying there in the middle of the night. You don't have to do or think anything, just lie there with your hands on your stomach.

I remember the first time I did it on my own, I had woken up in a horrible mood, didn't want to get up or do anything, and somehow got the idea to put my hands on my stomach and some 40 minutes later my mood had totally changed, with no effort on my part.

Mary