SENSATIVITY TO SMELLS/PERFUME

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by puppymom, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. puppymom

    puppymom New Member

    Does anyone else have a sensativity to smells, such as perfume, scented hand lotion, hair spray, etc? I have talked to several people with fibro and have found that many of my friends also have the sensativity (almost allergic) reaction to these smells. How about you?
  2. sues1

    sues1 New Member

    LOL......I have been told that I am senstive to all...not allergic..

    Yet some will make my face itch, throat starts closing......headaches.....sinus and I can hardly keep my eyes open. I just close down and feel awful. Like I am dying.

    My DH has to be careful of shaving lotions and deodorants,etc. We do not us fragrance soaps, nor do we use dryer sheets or any fabric softners.

    We ask people not to wear such when they visit. He had to dig up and dispose of Lilac shrubs. They make me very ill.

    I no longer get magazines, because of the samples in them. You can tell when something is starting to make you ill and when you do a little detective work you can find the offender and get it out into the trash.

    Vinegar is a great germ killer and Swifters are great for dusting.

    You will fin that you are "allergic" to new things all the time.

    Love, Susan
  3. justjanelle

    justjanelle New Member

    Anything perfumed, cleaning products, etc. The detergent aisle in the grocery store is a big problem, and I have to hold my breath if I actually have to enter a department store -- I just do not understand why they have to put the perfume department right inside the doors! I also have problems with smoke and other strong smells like coffee.

    These smells cause me to start coughing uncontrollably and then I go into an asthma-type attack where I can't breathe in.

    Sometimes even walking past someone who has too much perfume on will be enough to cause this reaction.

    And it definitely started when I first began showing symptoms of what they years later finally diagnosed as FM.

    My primary care doctor, by the way, did no tests or exam for any of this but says that I'm really not allergic to these smells and that the coughing/can't breathe episodes are NOT asthma (even though using an asthma inhaler makes it so I can breathe again.) The doctor's conclusion based on no exam at all was that these episodes were "panic attacks" -- (?)

    Best wishes,
    Janelle
  4. Michelle_NZ

    Michelle_NZ New Member

    Yes, this was one of the first symptoms to kick in for me before the other serious fibro symptoms started.

    In fact, I had to ask my bf to throw away the cologne that I had bought him because it made me feel like I was going to throw up.

    I've also had to stop wearing perfumes, and hairspray.

    And I cant stand those stinky air freshner things that people put in the cars and around the home - they are revolting!

    Michelle
  5. 1sweetie

    1sweetie New Member

    Yes. See my thread sensory overload I just started. Mine started with the smells you are describing and lights and escalated to unbelievable problems now.
  6. TaniaF

    TaniaF Member

    I hate being so sensitive to smells--it's tough having to tell my friends not to wear perfumes when visiting me. I even have problems in hotels, from either their cleaning products or air freshners.

    Speaking of air freshners--some of my doctors have the automatic ones in their waiting rooms--Are they nuts? Especially when they treat people with asthma and respiratory ailments.

    So I live in a bubble of non-fragrance products--I have to or else I get really ill.

    T
  7. doxielover70

    doxielover70 New Member

    Thankfully we live in a state that has smoke free buildings and restaurants. Some cleaning products bother me and some perfumes bother me. But cigarette is the worst for me. My mom is a smoker and I can't even go into her house. I actually go into a panic when I smell smoke.
  8. CockatooMom

    CockatooMom New Member

    OOoooohhhhhh Yessssssss! And it's horrible.
    Almost everything makes me nauseated and sick.
  9. IEMom

    IEMom New Member

    Definitely. I'm a teacher and I had to ask a student to sit in the back corner of the room. I felt terrible having to do that but felt like I could actually vomit or pass out. I had to ask the student not to wear her fragrance to my class. Lucky for me the student was not offended and was understanding.
  10. doxygirl

    doxygirl New Member

    People give me the wierdest looks when I tell them certain lotions and perfumes make me throw up!

    It does not have to be something that even smells bad........it is with many things including ........shampoos.........beverages in plastic ( even water )soaps, scented candles, air freshners, perfumes, colognes, certain foods, etc etc!

    It almost reminds me of "morning sickness"! "YUK"!!!!!!!!

    XO
    Doxy
  11. kirschbaum26

    kirschbaum26 New Member

    I have had this sensitivity for a long time. I had asthma attack when a woman in an neighboring office had a glade plug in...had to get her to stop using it.

    My daughter's half sister simply opened her purse the other day in the car, and she had somekind of perfume spray, and I could not breathe. Not much fun.

    I seem to be getting more sensitive...and feel that I am going to have to leave LA county...cannot handle the asthma problems and bronchitis and pneumonia. I currently have a case of pneumonia and I am on my second treatment of antibiotics...and I am already immune suppresed due to the Humira I have been taking for 3 months for bad RA flare.

    Ingrid
  12. baanders

    baanders New Member

    I would smell my dad wearing cologne and almost puke. I can smell smells that other people can't unless they get right up to them. :) BTW, Lysol has been known to cause serious cell damage. Please stay away from that. It should be a warning for us all.
  13. rachel432

    rachel432 New Member

    i'm also sensitive to certain smells. for me they don't cause a normal allergy typr reaction, but they cause severe nausea and can actually cause me to vomit. the strange thing is the smells that cause this. i don't have any problems with the usaul suspects of smoke, perfume, or chemicals. the ones that set me off right away are old coffee and microwave popcorn.
    rachel
  14. kirschbaum26

    kirschbaum26 New Member

    Rachel:

    I just read somewhere that some workers were exposed to the chemical used to make microwave popcorn and they all got serious, permanent lung damage. It was supposed to be investigated, and this incident is leading to further investigation into any hidden dangers to the public while making the popcorn in the micro. I hate the chemical smell when I open the bag.

    I have always hated the stuff, and cannot stand to eat it. My daughter loves it, so I try to get the better brands for her, as they are not as bad. She especially likes Newmans...and I can usually find coupons, and the profits go to the Hole in the Wall camps that Newman runs for kids with cancer.

    Ingrid
  15. piebear

    piebear New Member

    Oh yea definitely, although not as bad as most. My body wash and lotion and such doesn't bother me. And the cleaning supplies I use never give me any problems. Go figure. But thank God!

    The biggest things that bother me are perfume, cigarette smoke and things like Bengay which my husband just used the other night. The smell made me lightheaded and dizzy, sick to my stomach (I thought I was going to puke) and gave me a horrible headache. I was in bed for awhile trying to recover. Needless to say he won't be using that anymore.

    I just can't get over how sensitive to smells I am. I can smell so many things that my husband can't. And I hate that so many smells made me feel so sick.

    Seems like anything goes when you have fibro. Whatever can go wrong will go wrong!
  16. iteach

    iteach New Member

    I've had fibro for about 5 years and just developed this sensitivity to smells this summer--dread school starting as chemistry is one of the subjects I teach, not to mention that my room is directly over the HomeEc kitchen! lol