sense of smell amplified?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by englishteacher, Aug 2, 2008.

1. englishteacher

englishteacher New Member

I've been on Lyrica for about a month but just last week my sense of smell has been amplified tremendously. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know if it's related to the Lyrica or just some new odd thing.

Please let me know if this has occurred to you!
    Thank you,
    michelle
  2. rjsbow

rjsbow New Member

allthough im on cymbalta. even the slightist smells can make me sick.
  3. englishteacher

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

my sense of smell is a lot sharper and I mean a lot, since I became ill.

I dont take Lyrica and dont equate it with meds.

Rosie
  5. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

i am on lyrica but my sense of smell hearing lights all have been amplified before i started taking lyrica

i too have some smell that will send me running to the bathroom.
  6. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

since I started having ME/CFS and FMS symptoms. I've heard many, many people with these illnesses say the same.

God bless!

Debbie
  7. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Hi,

No Lyrica or Cymbalta here, can't handle the effects, but the weird part is that I seem to be smelling things that aren't here.

Woke a couple mornings ago and would have sworn there were fresh strawberries in the house.

Sometimes I think I'm losin' it...

Lea.
  8. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

Part of why my nickname is Mad Dog. My sense of smell is truly enhanced, always has been.

What I'm watching for is smelling bad smells when they are none. This is often a precursor to certain types of dementia. Specifically noxious smells only you detect.

Hopefully others will post about what they'd do if this began happening, and who'd they try to see about it.

I'm not sure what specialty this falls under.

Gentle hugs,
    RsW
  9. footballmom

footballmom New Member

I've always had a sensitivity to smell, vanilla is the one thing that actually makes me sick to my stomach. If I'm baking and need to use it in a recipe I have to hold my breath. Everyone in my family knows it makes me sick. I bet you can't guess what scent of candle my MIL gets me every year. :)

Tess
  10. englishteacher

Wow! Thanks so much for everyone's experiences... it sounds like it isn't a side effect of the meds but of the our lovely condition.

I was just amazed driving down the road and picking out cut hay smell 2 fields away, corrosive smells, fabric softener from 5 feet, etc.
    Odd.

Ah well. Thanks again.
    ~michelle
  11. CKater

CKater New Member

It's seems as though my sensitivity to everything has been enhanced since being ill especially smell. It drives my poor husband nuts since I'm constantly trying to find the source of the "bad odor" here or there in the house and get rid of it. But also I never used to wear sunglasses, now I can leave the house without them..also, if there is too much noise or activity I have to move away from it it just makes me jumpy. This was all before I was on any meds or even diagnosed. I have gotten used to it and it's not as acute as it was in the beginning, I suppose you just learn to live with it, but it's about sensory overload I think.
  12. kitteejo

kitteejo New Member

I have been very sensitive with smells but never knew it was part of our illness. When I used to go to the mall and they were selling Maple nuts, I'd have to cover my nose and nausea would hit me over the head. A lot of strong perfumes do the same. I can smell the litter box from the basement too.

Thanks for enlightening me. Will add this to my list of symptoms.

kitteejo
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2008]