Sensitive and reactive tendons and ligaments in feet...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karenanne, Sep 2, 2002.

1. karenanne

karenanne New Member

For some while now I have had really crippling pains in my feet, along the outer side mostly, when I may have had my foot in an unbalanced position for a few seconds or even minutes.

This then results in agonizing pain for hours, sometimes days.

Yesterday i saw my osteopath and he examined it and said it was 'incredibly sensitive ligaments and tendons over-reacting to normal tension' This also involves the ankles and all over the foot.

He sdaid there didn't seem to be any actual disorder, just that for some reason they had become acutely sensitive. Nor was he able to make much in the way of suggestion. massage hurts and does more damage and brings on the pain. he suggested a padded foot roller for very brief sessions.....

What I am wondering is has anyone else had this and if so, what helps, what heals and does it go? This seems to be getting worse very rapidly, which is frightening.
    Many thanks
    Karenanne
  2. karenanne

karenanne New Member

For some while now I have had really crippling pains in my feet, along the outer side mostly, when I may have had my foot in an unbalanced position for a few seconds or even minutes.

This then results in agonizing pain for hours, sometimes days.

Yesterday i saw my osteopath and he examined it and said it was 'incredibly sensitive ligaments and tendons over-reacting to normal tension' This also involves the ankles and all over the foot.

He sdaid there didn't seem to be any actual disorder, just that for some reason they had become acutely sensitive. Nor was he able to make much in the way of suggestion. massage hurts and does more damage and brings on the pain. he suggested a padded foot roller for very brief sessions.....

What I am wondering is has anyone else had this and if so, what helps, what heals and does it go? This seems to be getting worse very rapidly, which is frightening.
    Many thanks
    Karenanne
  3. ruthiepie

ruthiepie New Member

and burning.....when I walk 20 mins. or more......very sensitive feet....and yes I got one of those wooden foot roller thingies from one of those mail order cat. (has knobbed roller bars, about $14)keep it at the computer....feels good when I'm using it, but feet still hurt when I walk awhile.....I use the elect. carts in the stores that have them....also have handicap placard for parking...(I also have BPPV and walk with a cane because of it)......God Bless
  4. karenanne

karenanne New Member

I'll take heed of those suggestions.

What is BPPV? Has anyone given you a name or cause for this hypersensitivity of ligaments and tendons thing? I get burning (acutely) and also nerve tingling. Not sure they are of the same origin though.
    Karenanne
  5. Menolisongster

Menolisongster New Member

My physio therapist has me massage my foot starting at the baby toe. And working up along the tendons that hurt. She suggests Rub A535 or aspercreme something to numb the pain of the massage. She told me it would hurt for the first 2 or three times and she was right. But after a bit it stops hurting. I get this rather frequently as I have a callous on the ball of my foot so I tend to walk along the side of my foot.
    You might try rolling a tennis ball with your foot while sitting at the computer. Or put a hand towel over a rolling pin and roll that. Cheaper than the rolling thingy.
    Hope this helps.
    menoli
    abahabic to you.
  6. karenanne

karenanne New Member

The osteopath massaged my feet yesterday trying to determine what was going on and it was excruciatingly painful and still hasn't stopped.

I have a foot roller thing from years ago so don't need to buy one but the tennis ball (once retrieved from the cats) sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
    KA
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Dear Karenanne,
    Six weeks ago my MD put my left foot in a cast for a possible fracture, stress-type, but I have NO clue HOW I did this. I was working (I'm a nurse) and I walk a lot, very quickly, and I am a "heavy stepper". That's all I know until I was standing at the kitchen sink and I just raised my toes up to stretch them a little. All of a sudden I was in the floor crying with SHARP pain. I found an ace wrap and kept it immobilized and got an orthopedic boot at work. I finally had it x-rayed in a week, and my doctor thought he saw a fracture in one of the bones on the top of my foot and he took me out of work for five weeks. He took the cast off and put me back in the orthopedic boot last week and I'm back at work, but there is still dull pain in this foot and I've tried to refrain from bending my toes much. Who knows? Stress-fracture, fracture,or overeactive tendons and ligaments? I'd bet on YOUR diagnosis, myself, no matter what he MAY or MAY not have seen on the x-ray!
    Be well when you can,
    K
  8. fibolady

fibolady New Member

is it old age of fms? i contributed the foot problem with fms (45), it seems to be getting a little worse each year. i find myself stretching my feet all the time. the rollar gaget sounds like a good idea at the computer. yes! the outside edges hurt and the tops. when i am in a flare my ankles kill me.

now, what has helped is the gel insoles you can buy for your walking shoes. also, i only wear VERY comfortable shoes (no fashion shoe queen here) and massage my feet every night after my bath.

also, i heat up the rice socks and wrap it around my ankles while watching tv. i'm sure lots do this!

weird, last night the bottoms of both feet turned engine red and were hot as coals. i hadn't been doing anything but walking in the house. my daughter got a good laugh, she told me i was "really weird mom"
    now we kind of laugh at some of my weird symptons.

i treat myself to a pedicure once a month and the lady is wonderful. my feet always feel better that day, just wish it lasted longer. she dips them in the hot wax and massages all the way up to my knees. i think it is the best $18 i spend in a month.

warm regards, fibolady
    [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2002]
  9. SAS

SAS New Member

I have had acutely painful feet for some years now. For many years in my youth I worked as a bank teller, constantly on my feet in high heels. I believe it took it's toll on my tootsies! I have had a joint replaced in my large toe, and had orthotics made especially for my feet (expensive). I still have bad pain whenever I stand or walk, and think I will forever. Some days worse than others. I also have severe pain most nights and must massage my feet before going to sleep.

I wear flat shoes with good insoles plus my orthotics.

Best of luck
    Shirley
  10. BonnieQ

BonnieQ Member

Good morning! Nothing worse than painful feet, I know that for a fact! I don't know if the pain I have in my feet is what you have but a couple suggestions. My podiatrist knows fibro all too well, as he used to be a physical therapist before becoming a foot dr. He said that us fibro patients are the worst ones to help. The dr. told me to stretch my feet out before even getting out of bed, bending them up and down slowly. Then I do the exercise that stretches the calve muscles, where you lean your hands on the wall and stretch one leg out behind you, one at a time repeating several times with each leg, pressing the foot down against the floor. Its hard to explain, let me know if you don't know this one. Then the tennis ball also is a great thing to do, start slowly though, don't overdue. The birkenstocks really are wonderful, thanks to Ms. Dee and Nonie I have purchased two pair within months of each other. They are wide at the toe area, shaped to conform to your foot the way it should be. Very well made, and well worth the money. Good luck!
    BonnieQ
  11. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I just started having trouble with my feet a few months ago..Mine also burn & also the majority of the pain is along the outside of the foot..My husband will often massage them, but yes it hurts, but yet it feels good in a way, anybody understand that one..I always wear good shoes with good insoles, even my rheumy complimented me on the fact that I wear good shoes..But I still have the pain..
    Will have to try some of your suggestions....
    Take Care..........Donna
  12. karenanne

karenanne New Member

It's so wonderful to know I am not some sort of freak and alone in having these symptoms. I have some questions here.

Fibolady: where would I get the sort of gel insoles you describe?

SAS: what are 'orthotics'?

BonnieQ: I do know the excercise you mentioned and have been doing that to stretch my achilles tendons which went silly after the transplant. I also did some hydrotherapy for a bit then because all the tendons and ligaments then went so weak I was unable to take my own weight.

Donna: does anything specific trigger your pain along the outsides of the foot?

My understanding, which might well be wrong, is that almost anything will or can trigger it but i have found several things that do, mainly postural and usually leaning to one side, or tucking one foot under the chair or with the other hooked around it. D'you know what I mean? And doing that for even a few minutes really sets the pain going.

Painkillers don't seem to touch the pain but a few hours with some 'strapping' on the foot does seem to help. I will take you advice though and try heat.
    Bless you all, and thank you,
    Karenanne
  13. herblady

herblady New Member

i've had contant pain in the soft tissue of my feet because of a couple of accidents 10 years ago where i hurt each foot. since then i have had constant pain in them. i never told my dr. though, i'm so used to it. i'm glad you read this, i'm going to tell her. i'll let you know what remedy she comes up with. cindi
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

This maybe a little good news for you. My feet were hurting so bad, and would also be swollen, burning in the mornings that I would hold on to the walls to get from the bed to the bathroom.

This went on for about 4 months, I stretched them, wore the pads in my shoes, soaked them in Epson Salts once a day, used a rub (like Aspercream), and all of a sudden they stopped hurting and burning, they are still a little swollen in the morning, but no more pain.

I have no idea what caused this, unless it was the Fibro. I even bought one of those foot exercisers or vibrator things, which did not help, but hurt (I just gave it away).

Hope yours feel better soon.

Shalom, Shirl

15. karenanne

karenanne New Member

I'm just wondering...if this is a Fibro or CFS symptom, what triggers it?

This just seemed to begin manifesting quite suddenly and has increased in both frequency and severity. Been undergoing a huge amount of stress and trauma lately, I'm wondering if that could posibly have triggered this happening???? In which case, might this also suggest that it could go away as suddenly?

Does anyone else know if their symptoms began following a particularly traumatic or stressful (or both) time?

I've asked some questions earlier, for Fibolady, SAS, and BonnieQ...if you haven't seen them yet.
    many thanks,
    Karenanne
  16. ruthiepie

ruthiepie New Member

is Benign Paroxyomal Positional Vertigo, fancy!!...huh!!....it means when you move your head it throws you off balance (my explaination of how I feel)and they don't know why.....had many, many test....lots of docs...and spent lots of money....one day I ask the neuro....just how long does one keep testing before they just learn to live with it and he said.....well, that depends on how much money you want to spend...so I said....thank you very much doc....if you will just sign that little paper for me to get a handicap placard....I will buy a cane and if it gets worse I'll come back to see you....he did, I did, it hasn't gotten worse, but it hasn't gotten better either....that was in '95.....now when ppl ask me what is wrong with me....I just smile and say...."It's all in my head"......God Bless

P.S. I think I know now why my grandmother and my mother-in-law always kept a hoe by the door and always walked with it when outside....and it wasn't to just kill snakes with!!!!!