sensitive to anything touching my skin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by outofsorts, Nov 19, 2006.

1. outofsorts

outofsorts New Member

this is a new one for me. Just started a few days ago, I am really bothered by the feeling of my clothes touching my skin. It is mostly on my back neck & arms. Wondeering if anyone has had this little devil on their back as well and what if anything helped?
  2. Linzey

Linzey New Member

Is your feeling all over your entire body or just parts? What does it feel like? I have occasional times where a spot on my skin will feel "bruised" or feel like a burn when you touch it. It has happened over diferent spots on my body, arms,hands,legs. lasts a day or so,then is gone.
    ???????????
  3. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Yes, it's usually later in the day and the underclothing that cuts into the skin is the post irritating. My skin also gets prickly feelings as if I'm wearing wool, which I can never tolerate.

It seems to be part of the sensory overload problem.

The only thing that helps for me is changing into something more comfortable then sleeping. By morning it us usually gone.

Don't know if this is what you are talking about, but I do hope it goes away for you.
    Nanna
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I've had that devil for years. It used to be alot worse, and I'd get intense episodes where I'd have to go to bed naked w/ just a sheet on me and i could barely take the weight of that. I had several years where I couldn't wear bra or underwear, the elastic might as well have been steel wire digging into me.

It has slooooowwwwwly eased up, so I can wear normal clothes when I go out now, but I only wear nighties at home and I have to pick them carefully too for looseness and where the seams sit.

I hope this goes away, because it gets demoralizing day in and day out.

Jeanne
  5. saddlebred

saddlebred New Member

YES! I have that feeling sometimes, but not all the time. I don't have it has often or as bad as I once did. This was years ago.I thought I was going nuts and so did my dc and family. I hadn't heard of fibro yet, but my grandmother had Lopus. I didn't have the money for the test then. I just tried to find combo's that worked for me. I couldn't stand to be touched by anything, including my family gving me hugs.
  6. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I like to wear oversized pajamas. I'm housebound, so I get away with it. lol

Taking a shower feels like being pelted with buckshot.
  7. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

you might check this out. Most doctors do not know what RSD/CRPS is.

http://www.rsdhope.org/ShowPage.asp?PAGE_ID=4

or,

http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/index.html

burning pain, with skin sensitivity are hallmark signs of RSD.

I'll try to be back to see if you had questions, but since my RSD is in my shoulders, I don't get online very often any more, it is just to painful. I have terrible time sleeping at all now - I remembered seeing the magnesium combo on this site, and came here tonight to find this info, and happened to see this post, which reminds me of symptoms of RSD.

If you search for my user name, I have written a bit about RSD in the past, before my RSD spread, and typing was easier.

J.

8. b~kay~b

b~kay~b New Member

my skin burns like a sunburn without the burn it hurt but what gets me besides the only thing i can wear is cotton tshirts real big and loooose sweat pants, is no one can touch me i have to brace myself for hugs from the boys and my husband well it took him a bit to understand but its just ticking me off! beside physical pain taking a shower and moving arms about, the water kills me and then drying off omg i have to dab and even that hurts but it irritates me to just not dry off-man i sound high maintenance lol B~Kay
  9. i too have very sensitive skin.and i was in agony after just touching my back and shoulders with a bath brush,while in the shower.the pain is so intense isnt it.and its the same when i comb my hair,the skin on my scalp hurts severly.its a weird illness thats for sure.it feels like being scolded with hot water.

i suffer from fibromyalgia and ME/chronic fatigue syndrome.

kind regards
    fran
  10. Suzan

Suzan New Member

It comes and goes with me. There are times where the only things I can wear and be comfortable are soft fabrics and loose fitting things. At other times, I can dress more normally, at least for parts of a day. If I am going out and about..I can put on a bra, and wear NORMAL clothes, but almost every time I do that, when I get back home, I CHANGE almost immediately into my jammies...or yoga pants and a t-shirt...just to take the pressure off my skin.

The biggest inconvenience with this I am having lately is SHOES! It is almost impossible for me to wear my shoes for any length of time. I had an event to attend..and went shoe shopping..and tried on many pairs..and couldn't find ONE that I could tolerate!UGH

Luckily I don't work anymore outside my home, so usually I can find a way to be comfortable, but with the holidays quickly approaching, I am scrambling to find a couple outfits that I can manage to wear and look appropriate and somewhat festive...not sure how successful I am going to be!

Sue, FMS
  11. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I thought it was just me!! I can't handle anything or anyone touching me...My hubby started thinking it was a phobia or something like that guy on that tv show Monk...I have two step twins that are 7 and I can't tell you how horrible I feel when I tell them they can't touch me cause it hurts!! They have learned to do "soft" hugs and it makes me so sad cause I just want to hug them so much!!
    Cindy
  12. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I can't understand the wiring of my brain for the hypersensitivity.

How is it that I can hug someone or touch their hand, but if they did that to me I'd go crazy???

The worst if if someone comes up behind me & touches my back or shoulder. It's any wonder I don't scream out so loud I break their ear drums.

Sometimes the pain is like a quick moving fire, other times like a javelin being thrown through my body, & even other times like a potato peeler scraping my skin.

I doubt medieval torture was worse than FM pain.
  13. matthewson

matthewson New Member

It can help with your problem of skin sensitivity. Ask your Dr. if you can try a low dose and see if that may help. It also helps with any kind of neuropathy type pain.

Take care, Sally
  14. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I still to this day cannot wear underwears or bras and even sometimes socks are just as bad, this statred about 4 months ago now and has not let up!

love to all, Ann
  15. nvstella

nvstella New Member

What a relief it is to finally hear that I am not alone. Wearing a bra no matter how unstructured it is can be tortureous. Needless to say this limits the kind of clothing I can wear. I even tried going up in back size using extenders and most of the time even that is uncomfortable. I have had some luck with very soft unstructured camisoles but they can be hot especially living in Florida. You can also forget about pantyhose unless they are non support which can also be bad on certain days.

It is easier now that I have had to stop working.

It amazes me when I think that this disease even dictates the way we dress.