Sensitive to Magnesium/Calcium

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeannedanna, Mar 1, 2003.

1. jeannedanna

jeannedanna New Member

Is anyone else sensitive to Magnesium or Calcium ???? I get heartburn...so bad it makes me short of breath...CJD
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I take both and have no problems, could it be the brand you are taking? That sometimes makes a difference. Also I take them separately, with the magnesium, I take; 'Pro Energy' (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), as for calcium, I do drink milk, eat yogurt and other dairy products, also Ensure with Calcium. I do not take a calcium supplement.

A lot of our members are having good results with Coral Calcium (both of the above products are sold here at Pro Health) and are doing quite well with them.

Also, some people can't take them on an empty stomach.

Hope you find what works for you, as both minerals are so important with CFS/FM.

Again, welcome to the board (I have been off the board for a while, so I doubt if I have welcomed you!).

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2003]
  3. mjrmunch

mjrmunch New Member

i have the same problem taking over the counter calcium. i do know that if you can take it in a couple of doses with a meal, it helps. also make sure you do not lay down after taking it for at least an hour or two. i take fosamax which is a prescription calcium supplement. you only have to take it once a week. this works out alot better for me because my stomach does not tolerate the otc supplements well. i really haven't had a problem with the fosamax.
    hope this helps!
    diana
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I too get Heartburn, and I also get the "Big D", so I don't add Supplements to my diet.
    I Know that a Lot of folks here do get Help from them, after all this is a SIte that Sells them.

But for me, I get what I need from Foods that I can eat.
    Even Tums will make me throw up, so I guess you could say I'm Sensitive to both.

So far all my Blood work comes back ok, I haven't a need for more, I guess is what that means.

Welcome to the Board. We all have different points of views and different Types of treatments , in other words, what works for one, may not work for another.
    We all share our Information tho, hope we can be of help to you and vise versa.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This will give you the added benefit of eliminating excess phosphate debris through the intestines. The inability to excrete excess phosphate debris is a major problem with FMS according to Dr. St. Amand. Never lie down after eating or taking meds.

Take the magnesium at bedtime without taking calcium. The ZMA sold here is an excellent product and gives one more than just the magnesium by itself.

Love, Mikie
  6. jeannedanna

jeannedanna New Member

thank you all for your helpful suggestions Jeanne