Sensitive to smells

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ruby1523, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Ruby1523

Ruby1523 New Member

I know that with fibro many people are sensitive to chemicals, lights, food, smells, etc. For the past three weeks I can swear I smell cigarette smoke when there is no possible way for it to be in the air. I don't smoke,never have, and the office I work in is smoke-free as well as my home. I even smell it sometimes when I have my CPAP machine on. Anyone wlse with this problem?
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I can't believe you posted this. I do have a heightened sense of smell, but for the past few days I can swear I smell cigarette smoke in my den. Nobody smokes (we're an anti-smoking family!). Everyone in the house is telling me I'm nuts--I was even wondering if perhaps someone in our area is possibly using their fireplace already and that's what I'm smelling. But my windows are closed and I still smell it!!

I really can't figure this one out!

3. Ruby1523

Ruby1523 New Member

I have asked others to come into my office when it really seems bad but they don't smell a thing. They all look at me like I am nuts. At least I know that I'm not the only one!
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

just when I go to post a question Bingo someone else has!

Now I know its not just me smelling things that aren't there.

But does anyone have the problem have not being able to smell things?
  5. pasara

pasara New Member

this is a well-known symptom in neurology. people have phantom smells or they might sniff something and have it smell like something else. it is caused by disruptions in the olfactory pathway. this can be caused by a brain injury or tumor, chemical exposure, or infection. so it makes sense for some people with CFS/ME to experience this along with all the other neurological symptoms. I would mention it next time you are at the doctor so it is noted, but unless it gets worse or really upsetting, i wouldn't worry about it too much.
  6. Ruby1523

Ruby1523 New Member

Yes I have a doctors appt next week so I plan on mentioning it to him along with some other strange things going on. I'm not concerned about it, it isn't hurting anything, just a nuisance mainly. Thanks for the input.
  7. ChyC

ChyC New Member

This has been making so sick the last several months. Had all sorts of test done and everything is fine except for my sensitivities. This past Tuesday we went to our local GNC store and I spoke to one of the workers there. He is an encloypedia for everything in herbals and so much more. I remembered he said something in the recent past but at the time I couldn't take it in, so I asked him about my symptoms and he told me that it was possible that my ph levels were not balanced. I got the test strips and I already take greens+ so it's a matter of getting my ph levels balnced. I have increase my greens+ and I have noticed that I am not as sensitive to smells and the other things. But getting it to the correct amount I need to take can take me awhile before I find that magic amount.

I was surprised to find out that the oods we eat can cause our ph levels to change from one extreme to another. Those of us with fm will have this problem with our ph balancing out. Do your own research on the subject and find out if this could be your problem.

By the way I too smell smoke when it's not there and a long time ago my husband and I found out that I was actually smelling the perked coffee. Maybe that's what you may be smelling. We too are nonsmokers.

Hope this helps.
  8. jess

jess New Member

HI Ruby, yes I experience this too. I was at the movies with my son and husband and told them I smelled something burning. They said nothing is burning and there is no smell. It kind of smelled like a burning candle unfortunately not a scented one.(lol) Anyway, I get this from time to time. Lately, I have been having some visual hallucinations too. This is scary. I do recognize it though for what it is. Jess
  9. ChyC

ChyC New Member

about ph levels and balncing them. You may also be interested in it as well.

Acid-Alkaline Diet by Christopher Vasey M.D.

I am learning that foods are also importat in balancing your ph levels. Yesterday was something of an learning curb for me. Balancing these levels will help with your sensitivites to smells, wood and other things, this I am finding out. I am finding out that if I am between 6.0 to 6.2 I feel so much better but everyone is different and you need to find this out by learning and testing your levels to find out what is best for your ph level balance.

I will let you know how I do in the future but I look at it this way, if this will help my body function better then I will try it. There are some products at this website for helping to balance your ph by typing in the search at the store - ph levels balance. The book I just happened upon this morning but find that it may help me learn where foods can help balance my ph levels naturally.

Just trying to help.

10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am also very sensitive to smells/odors. I wonder if you are smelling mold somewhere? Does the CPAP machine have any water inside? If so, you might want to call the mfg and see if you can check inside for mold.
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Just curious, what is "BR" in your posts?
  12. ChyC

ChyC New Member

I went through most of my recent post and haven't come across those letters. I can't honestly tell you what BR is for it was never mentioned in my post that I went through just now. Maybe you can expain to me by what you mean, please.

[This Message was Edited on 10/01/2008]

DRAGONSGIRL New Member

I am also highly sensitive to smells.

Hubby says I have a nose like a bloodhound now! LOL

But I can no longer smell ME!

Even when I perspire.