Sensitive to sounds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JennO, Jun 17, 2008.

1. JennO

JennO New Member

Does anyone have issues with hearing??? I have FM and I always seem to be bothered by loud noises...everyone looks at me like I am nuts, always telling the kids to quiet down. Sometimes they just look at me like I am some old looney! I think it's hard for them to adjust to my FM because I am always complaining about something!!!!
  2. teller7

teller7 New Member

Sometimes I can't even have the tv on because the sounds just drives me crazy. Just another symptom for FM CFS.
  3. dollinitup

dollinitup New Member

I love quiet.
    I have actually walked out of stores because of the music.

I also can't stand the evening sun coming into the house. When it is time to cook or do dishes in the evening my kitchen gets closed up.
  4. vmiller

vmiller New Member

Too much noise drives me nuts! I cannot STAND more than one source of sound at a time. When the kids are watching TV and talking at the same time it makes me crazy. Too much audio input makes for a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad attitude in Mama! I wish it wasn't this way. I have been this way for the past few years, and only uncovered the reason as to why when I began to visit this board.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes!! I have always been affected by sound, bright lights, etc. I think I must have had a predisposition for sensory overload.

However, with the FM/CFS, this has increased significantly.

Sometimes, I have turned the sound to mute on my TV and turn on the closed captioning!!

Sometimes, it feels like people are talking too fast and I have a hard time processing what they are saying. Yet I passed with flying colors when I saw an audiologist.

The worse I feel, the more this symptom bothers me.

Take care.

6. terrisews

terrisews New Member

Yes, I am also sensitive to specific sounds. I can't handle that everyone talking at once thing and I really have trouble with the tv and another conversation. But what I really have trouble with is my 2 year old grand daughter who loves to squeal! OUCH!!!

Terri in TN
  7. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Sound sensitivity is one of my worst symptoms. I can't take any noise at all. There are many days when just the ticking of the clocks in here drives me crazy. A ringing phone nearly kills me. I can't take any of it. Alot of the time, I don't have the tv on, or I make it very low. And music I can rarely listen to anymore, and it must be made very low. It's a nasty symptom. People just don't get it that the sounds hurt.
  8. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

I have this too. I even mentioned it in my profile because it is such a MAJOR thing with me. People around me don't quite get it, but that is ok. I know what I am hearing, and I am not making it up.

I can't even dream of going to a movie or even going to a mall gives me major sensory overload. If I do have to go I rush in as quickly as possible, get what I need, and leave, and this is coming from someone who used to be a shopaholic!

I almost jump out of my skin every time the phone rings. I rarely turn on the TV. Everyday sounds are simply deafening to me.

I'm sorry you have this too. In my case, I have just gotten used to it, but I don't like it!

Take care and God bless!
  9. luvtusew

luvtusew New Member

I am new to message board. I have had FM for 15 years!! I too hve this prob. I use tissues in my ears. This seems to filter out enough of those pitches that seem to bother me, but I can still hear what people say! It works for movie theaters and stores also. Do you notice it being worse around that time of mo? I do 10 fold.
  10. AnnieLeu

AnnieLeu New Member

I sit with the TV remote close to hand because I can't stand the loud commercials...have to turn them off or mute. Why are they SO much louder than the show you're watching? I also have a problem with the way movies are recorded the background noise is way too loud for me that I can't hear the actors talking but if I turn it up the background noise overwhelms me & actually makes my ears ache.
    Also find it hard around children because of all the screaming they do! Just HATE it! Does no one tell their kids to be quiet anymore?
    I am also sensitive to light & wear a visor & dark glasses when I go out....otherwise it's like a knife in the eye!
    I've also noticed that smells seem much stronger to me & trigger headaches & nausea.
    The other thing that has changed is that fruit taste sour to me. My Mom will tell me it's nice & sweet but when I try it, it is so sour that I make a face.
    No I know why I hide in the house!
  11. LindaH

LindaH New Member

From all I've read on this board and others many have this problem. Sounds, lights, odors(even good ones), and even air blowing on my skin or seams in clothes and tags in them can irritate me.

I guess people are right when they say we are too sensitive. Sounds and lights seem to be the worst culprits for me but I do get the others thrown in sometimes. I am thankful it isn't constant with all of them.

12. momof471

momof471 New Member

I am also. Which is hard because I have four kids. They are used to me telling them to quiet down, or zoning out on them. I tend to do this when I am overwhelmed by the noise.

I don't absorb anything of what is being said.

God Bless
  13. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

and I jump out of my skin if I do not hear someone approach me. Such as when you have the water running and someone walks up behind you. I have done that all my life, but I am even more sensitive now.
  14. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Yes, yes, yes, etc.!!

And here all this time I was wondering if it was just me; never thought about SuperHearing being part of the d'd.

I've had to ask people with voices I perceived as TOO LOUD to please turn down their volume. One woman, when I told her that just because I'm 60 it doesn't mean I'm deaf, snapped back at me that she wasn't loud, she was "just boisterous."
    Don't suppose she liked it much when I asked her if she knew the meaning of the word "boisterous" and went on to say that what she was, was loud and obnoxious. Well heck, she caught me on a bad day, :-(.

Ever since I was a LOT shorter the family joke was that I could hear a mouse P-ing on cotton.
    Decades later a housemate said if anyone in the house wanted to tell a secret and I was around, they had to go into the attic and whisper.

To the poster (I'm sorry, brainfaded your name already) who said that a fan blowing on her was bothersome, ditto here. Now that the hot weather is here I have to turn on the cooler for just a little while, turn it off when I can't stand the breeze any more, turn it back on when I'm sweltering. Bah!!

But back to noise: I've tried earplugs which didn't help at all, headphones (once. Can't sleep with them on). Every bone in my bony skull conducts sound.
    Weirdly enough, I turn the tv on low when I'm trying for sleep. The tv sound seems to distract my hearing outside noises.

But, lol, if a phone rings in some program, I'm awake right NOW, like the old fire station dogs we used to see.

I'm sorry the people who have answered so far are dealing with this on top of the d'd...but please forgive me for being thankful I'm not the only one.

15. lsaxton65

lsaxton65 New Member

sounds can put me in a sensory overload and i won't be able to focus on anything. sounds are also a trigger to a flare up, i have noticed. i can pick up on sounds no one notices...they think i'm crazy

i also have ringing in my is worse at night when i'm trying to sleep

16. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

My family has always claimed i was too sensitive. Even people crunching on food or ice drives me crazy .

Then there are those stupid flouresent (sp) lights in stores that buzz too loud and are too bright.

I keep it kind of dark in my apartment and when I go outside , my eyes hurt in the sun.
  17. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Even the idea of going to Walmart or Target makes me cringe, the yelling kids, people yakking on cell phones, not to mention the chemical odors and glaring lights. Arrrggghhhhh - sensory overload!!!

Unfortunately the Super Walmart is the closest (and cheapest) grocery. I try to go when I know it won't be crowded, like early Sunday mornings.

Lea - re having the TV on to get to sleep - I do that too, but have found that REALLY BORING documentaries are perfect for drifting off. There's rarely any sudden startling noise.

Layla/Lee Ann

[This Message was Edited on 06/20/2008]
  18. AlexC

AlexC New Member

Too much noise and also strong odors, particularly perfume and cigarette smoke, make me physically sick. Any kind of sensory overload puts me in a nosedive.
  19. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

but may be unrelated as I have always had hearing like a bat or something and my husband lost some of his in Nam and he is SO loud at times I have to tell him to use his inside voice (and do not even get me started on tv volume)