Sensitive topic selfharming behaviours

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swiss, Oct 6, 2006.

1. swiss

swiss New Member

This is difficult to share but I have wondered about this for a long time. When I was 12 years old really awful things were happening to me. As a way to cope I started pulling out my hair (called trichotillomania) and I still do. I wonder if this caused or contributrd to my fibro/CFS and it causes A LOT of neck pain and migraines- the things we do to cope!!!!

I would love to hear your reaponses,
    Michele
  2. suz45

suz45 New Member

Swiss:

Firts off just talking about this online is a tough thing to do. I admire your strength. My understanding is that trauma whether physical or emotional is often seen in FMS ppeople.

Hopefully, you are under medical care, there are meds out there that help with what know has become a "coping" skill for you. If not talk therapy may be helpful.

Have you seen a professional about this, and to resolve the underlying issues, it may be a very good thing to do.

Hope this was helpful,

Suz45
  3. swiss

swiss New Member

b for more responses please
  4. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

My daughter who is 11yrs. has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and she takes meds to help her obsessions and compulsions. I also have a friend whose daughter has the exact same thing (trichotillomania) meds can help control it but counselling (therapy) is also needed to go along with, one really doesn't work as well without the other, from my experience. Hope this does help some. Also it is something in the brain that triggers these types of symptoms.

Thanks,
    Angie

P.S. Also my daughter sees (who is O.C.D) a therapist every week. A psychiatrist once a month. Also my dauther hasn't experienced any kind of trauma. If this helps.[This Message was Edited on 10/07/2006]
  5. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I've often wondered if things that happened as a child had anything to do with my adult health.. maybe accumulated years of stress..

I would think, maybe undealt with emotional pain and stress might lead to physical problems over the years. I know there have been links made with stress and these syndromes.

I think the trichotillomania is probably a coping devise and I doubt that it would cause fibro or cfs but the girls are right.

If you haven't looked for help I would. You know, I had anxiety attacks for over 20 years because of some of my childhood issues. I finally found a great pshyc who took me back into my childhood through hypnosis.. We did inner-child work for about 2 years. I was finally able to pretty much put it behind me. But I had to learn alot of techniques to help myself.. breathing methods, meditation, self affirmations, etc.

I would think once you can get over these bad memories of your childhood and learn some safer coping skills maybe you can get past this.

I've dealt with self-harming behavior with one of my teens a few years back. I had her with a counselor for several years and on Prozac for over a year and she has got past it.

It's hard Michele, but don't let your past hold you hostage. It did me for too many years.

I'm here if you need me..

Hugs and love,
    Dona
  6. swiss

swiss New Member

Thank you so very much for your kind words and acceptance. It is valued greatly! I have dealt with a lot of the trauma from the past. In fact, I now feel quite free and emotionally healthy (except for dealing with CFS) but it amazing just how the behaviour has stuck. I am living in Switzerland and think that I need to tackle this when I return to Canada in a few months.

With many thanks,
    Michele
  7. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

The Trichotillomania Learning Center is an excellent online resource. Just do a Google search for the link to the website. You can sign up for their free e-newsletter. It's a caring, supportive community of people who know how hard it is to live with this disorder.

Best wishes,
    wordbyrd