Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kensie, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Kensie

Kensie New Member

Has anyone experienced extreme sensitivies to almost all medications? Certain cold medications almost knock me out and recently I had to make a trip to the ER for myclonic jerking. I believe this may have been caused by taking a nyquil tablet combined with my daily dose of effexor.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

My sensitivies have become so severe Im afraid to take anything!
    Went to the store to get guaifnissen(?) and left without it because I was worried about additives.

Not sure but I dont think your supposed to take cold flu meds with antidepressants. I cant take any of the cold remedies,. Also dosages can be a problem with lots of folks less is better.

Be careful as you learn what your body will tolerate.
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

I never used to be sensitive to ANYTHING, but since fibro and CFS, I am very afraid to take ANYTHING!!!
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

I had that problem and finally traced it to liver congestion. I would feel like I was dying whenever I took drugs that had to be detoxified in my body - even seemingly benign stuff like aspirin. I couldn't tolerate tylenol at all without wanting to die. I also felt bad if I ate a lot of fat or protein.

The best thing I found was Chinese bitters. It cleared it up in just a few days. Not totally, I still had problems and should have been taking betaine hcl with fats and proteins, but I didn't know that until later.

Chinese bitters taste like hell, but they will clear up my liver pretty quick, just a couple of days. It is a mixture of bupleurum root and gentian root. I used tincture form of each - one dropperful of each in a small amount of water and then have juice or something handy to chase it with since it's really bitter.
  5. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I,m very sensitive to medications OTC and Rx but I have always been this way even before I got the DD.

[This Message was Edited on 09/01/2008]
  6. Ponysue

Ponysue New Member

I too have extreme sensitivities. I have found that cutting the dosage down to half or even a quarter helps. I take Ultram for pain as well as percocet. Depending on how bad I feel I find most of the time the smaller dose still works fairly well. I have found that with Percocet I take a quarter pill every couple of hrs instead of in one shot. I do get a lot less side effects this way. Even my Lexapro is a quarter tab. Ask your Doc if any of your meds can be broken up over the day. It may work for you.