Sensitivity in teeth???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Summit, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Summit

Summit New Member

I have Fibro. At times, when i'm flaring up, I also will have a weird thing happen with my teeth. It is like little bolts of pain flash through my tooth, then zooms to another tooth, then another, in no particular order, can to side to side, bottom to top, back to front etc. and go on for anywhere from mins. to hours. My dentist (and one on the web) had Never heard of such a thing. My doctor looked at me like I was crazy. has anyone else had this? I am also very sensitive to pain at these times (and if going to the dentist load up on pain killers an hour before I go, just to make it through a teeth cleaning ) thanks for any input
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I know exactly how you feel...I have it happening it now. And I have in the past. All my teeth ache and are sensitive to hot and cold. It lasts about a few weeks or less then stops.

hugs..
  3. Summit

Summit New Member

Oh, so I"m not the only crazy one! Yeah! Thanks for telling me that. You have fibro also????
  4. Summit

Summit New Member

thank you jullstarr. I use a prescription toothpaste that is for sensitive teeth (although they really are only sensitive during my Flare ups of fibro) My dentist thought I was crazy when I mentioned it to him. My doc did too. My chiropractor said, yep, that's fibromyalgia alright. It does seem to be a nerve impulse thing though!
  5. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I have Fibro, cfs and I feel like a mess all over.i am in a very bad flare right now and can barely type. I have been sleeping 24/7 since thurs nite literally. Although I was awake a little sunday, this evening. so so tired...sorry.

take care
  6. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

and the oral surgeon made a splint for me for nighttime because he says it is the grinding and clenching that is causing the teeth pain, sensitivity and pain in my jaw. I have been using it for two weeks and I already notice a difference. My insurance covered it so you should check on it. It should be made of hard plastic-- STAY AWAY FROM THE SOFT or FELXIBLE ones, they made my problem worse.

Good luck to all!
  7. my mom too, she also has fibro, but we've always had sensitive teeth. My sister did as well, she had to get dentures at age 26, she's 30 now...My sister & I were always told by our dentists that we also had soft enamel (YAY cavities!)

My mom & I were just talking about this, and she says Sensodyne tooth paste really does help...

Regarding shooting pain, though, my neurologist (and this is not* a diagnosis, nor a suggestion that you have this, at ALL, you mention no shooting pain in your *face*, but, I will tell you what my neuro said..)

When I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia, I'd already had bouts of it for 6 months, it's excrutiating facial nerve pain. People usually have it on one side of the face, but CAN have it bi-laterally---some DOCTORS are still ignorant to this. NEURO's even--and they normally diagnose it.!

My neurologist (I have TN now, in all 3 branches of the nerve on the left, and 2 branches on the right. and also in the vertex of the skull) one of the first things he told me, was that he has seen patients, who have had every single tooth in their head pulled out, from pain...and then found out later, that it was not the *teeth* it was trigeminal neuralgia, causing pain, making them think it was a dental problem.

Trigeminal neuralgia can be caused by (traumatic) dental procedures (whatever that means! As if I wasn't scared of dentists enough!

But can also occur from many other things, most commonly in young* women, it can be linked to MS. I'm told that is why I have it, even with no lesion present pressing on the nerve (tumors can press on the nerve & also cause it, etc)

It's also believed it MAY be somewhat hereditary, etc etc..

Just a *passing* thought...I doubt that this is it, but when I see "shooting pains" and how long it can last for you, etc I just wanted to bring it up.

Very few dentists (around here at least) are educated at all on TN, though THEY SHOULD BE! I haven't been to the dentist in over 2 yrs, since a surgery for TN went very very wrong.

My last dentist visit took: Pain pills, steroids, Halcion (sedative) the night before & morning of appt, & Nitrous Oxide,----just to have a permanent filling on the very front tooth, after having had a root canal a month before..

I would try toothpaste for sensitive teeth (I'm going to again) and then.....pursue this until you find the cause..as you can see, others have sensitive teeth, but, not really shooting pain...

We ARE all different..

Regarding the night guard, I'm supposed to have one made too, glad insurance may pay for it..

Take care, Laura
  8. sues1

sues1 New Member

I've had several, yes several......root canals. Only one sentist does not treat me as if I am whacko on my problem.
    But is probably thinks so.....LOL....

It is not all the time, but often....that I go to bed and

I can lay on the right side and my back bottom teeth hurt so bad, I then turn on my left amd honestly it is as if the pain then rolls along to the back teeth on my left side.

I think it is sinus related. I am seeing a Neuro soon. I will bring this up.

Good Luck to all..........Hugs.....Susan
  9. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

my teeth seem to be hyper sensitive, even my dentist coments on it. when i brush my teeth i have to make sure that not only the water i rinse with isn't to cold but also my husband used to keep the toothpaste on our bathroom windowsill and it go cold and was hurting my teeth when i brushed. when i need to go to the dentist i've found that the only way to make it tolerable is nitous-oxide, without it evrything is just to painful, even with novicaine. i won't go to a dentist that doesn't use it. i would recommed to anyone who is having trouble with dental procedures that they pay the extra $30 or so for that miracle gas.
    rachel
  10. maedaze

maedaze New Member

Yep I have sensitive and painfull teeth too. Can only brush them with warm water, and trips to the dentist now are Urgent only......

Am lucky my dentist knows about fibro and has another patient who is worse than me and needs to be knocked out to have any thing done on her teeth. I am not at that point yet, but feel it won't be too far away before I'll need to be fully sedated too.
  11. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

It's looks like there's a bunch of us here. It never ceases to amaze me how so many of us have these similar symptoms.

I've been having problems with tooth pain since my FM flared two years ago. I don't have the best teeth but they are taken care of and cavity free.

I do think that some pain is coming from teeth grinding. I know that I do that more at night due to pain. I find myself clenching more during the day as well.

Oh....I've used the sensidine toothpaste and it's made no difference for me.

Regards,

Eileen
  12. SherylD

SherylD Guest

HI There...

You need to do a search on here...THere has been alot of talk about sensitive gums..teeth and jaw pain..

Do your gums swell??? Is is painful to floss?? THen you might be sensitive to silica (mica), which is in salt. It is in alot of tooth pastes, cleaning stuff at the dentist, teeth whitening stuff.

If you have a lot of neck and jaw pain with this then you might be having a problem with sulfites (preseveratives)...But some foods have natural sulfites. LIke onions, garlic, coliflower, brocolli.

I have to stay clear of salt or I am in pain everywhere. The more I get...the more pain I am in.

I have a splint for my mouth, a rubber one, and it does help in the night to cushion my clenching.

I don't think you are crazy at all...but there is something causing this pain....I feel most of our stuff is diet related.

Hope it gets better!
    SherylD

13. blonderescue

blonderescue New Member

Hi there,

I too have had tooth sensitivity - random teeth - which has gone away.

Not sure if it went away because I started taking calcium/magnesium suppment or just because I am managing better now I get enough sleep (got the right sleep meds) which has gotten rid of a lot of my nasty symptoms (sleeping longer that is).

All the best

Kaz

14. Summit

Summit New Member

Thank you all for your replies. I have always taken very good care of my teeth. No swelling of gums. Just this weird almost electrical zapping/pain irradically going from tooth to tooth. This doesn't happen alot, just sometimes, and at no particular time. Thanks guys for your input

Ps. I just realized if I go to my profile, I can see posts, I always wondered how to get notified of replies etc. Now I just need to learn how to reply to a specific person.
  15. dr32164

dr32164 New Member

I have exactly what you describe. I too have FM for many years. I am unable to use any tooth whitening products as a result. My dentist thought I was nuts. He prescribed a perscription tooth desensitizing toothpaste, but it did not stop the pain. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen every time I try to use Crest Whitestrips.

I never made the connection to the FM until I read your post. I wish you all the best!!
  16. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I've had 4 teeth pulled this year! Ouch! Feel like I'm going to lose them all. They seem to be going bad all at the same time. Have no dental insurance, can't afford root canals, crowns.
    Thank God I found a dentist that runs a free clinic each week. She is great.
    I've always had sensitivity, use sensidine toothpaste.