Sensory Input Problems and the Anxiety They Cause

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Jun 30, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I remembered something long forgotten from my childhood. Back when I was in kindergarten and first grade, I used to get SEVERE problems with sensory input in the school lunchroom to such a point that I'd have panic attacks from it in the lunchroom and actually vomit. I remember that there were two other kids who had the same problems as me. And the principal decided we would all eat lunch in his office for the entire year because he didn't know what else to do with us. This went on for two years, I think. I can't remember if it went on for a third year. And I don't know what made it stop, but at some point, it did stop. However, it would happen to me at my friend's houses, too. Except, I didn't vomit, I'd just get panic attacks from it. And being that young, I didn't know what was wrong, I just knew the sensory input was too much and it was making me sick.

I know by the time I was about eight or nine, that seemed to stop. But then I got the official tick bites. But I remember having the Lyme rash alot earlier, around age six. So I'd have to say, I must have had Lyme for a very long time.

I'm still not convinced that Lyme and CFIDS/ME are the same entity. I believe I have both. But that I was Lyme before CFIDS/ME got me. So I'm a combo. Actually, I have Fibro, too. So, it's more like a triple hit. I had Lyme, then I got hit with something at about age 16 that gave me Fibro symptoms. Then I got the next hit at age 21 that gave me full on CFIDS/ME.

The sensory overload definitely does give me panic feelings. But the sensory overload comes first. So to me, this isn't a panic attack. This is a freakout caused by the sensory overload being so bad.

It just makes me wonder how many people who get panic attacks are actually having a sensory overload problem and they don't realize it and get diagnosed as it having been a mental/anxiety disorder, when it's really a physical cause that's happening.

Does anyone else remember having anything like that when they were young? I have heard of a few other people who had it that young.