Sensory overload supplementwhat works? Gaba?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jane32, May 3, 2006.

1. jane32

jane32 New Member

One of my biggest complaints outside of the fevers is that I feel like I get overloaded after about 3-4 hrs. out which is a good day. I can't explain it but I start to get fatigued then my head will hurt a little and I just want to close my eyes. I can not even sit up I need to go rest. But I only get this when I do too much. I still run a business so I have to go to meetings sometimes. But it is like I can only do one thing a day which is so annoying. I look completely wiped.

The only thing that helps is to lay down in a dark room with complete quiet. After about an hr. I can get back up and have a little energy to cook or watch tv.

Does this happen to anyone else? I read the prohealth store here and they say GABA is food for calming the brain. there has to be something out there that is helpful.

I really think my central nervous system is out of whack and that is why I have fevers and such.

Any ideas?
  2. bluemoon1monday

bluemoon1monday New Member

Here's bumping to get some answers for Jane32.

Bluemoon
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I definitely struggle with this. All noises and lights - even touch - can be too much for me. I haven't found an answer yet.

I just started taking Neuontin (Gabapentin) for neurologic pain. I'm wondering if it might help relieve some of the sensory strain as well as it is all related to the CNS. I'll let you know. I've only been taking it one day so too soon to tell.

Hope someone else can help more.

Sofi
  4. jane32

jane32 New Member

It is just so weird. I go from thinking clearly to just not being able to talk because I am so drained. Like I said I can last for about 3-4 hrs. almost like clockwork. I don't have pain just can't think and need to lie down.
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

The hypersensitivity that we experience is similar to that in someone with autism. It just overwhelms us when it sets in.

I've struggled with it my whole life. I just never knew why I was so easily agitated. I thought I was just a brittle person and felt guilty for it.

Now that I understand what it happening, I'm much more forgiving of myself - as is my husband. He will see it set in and tell me to go to our room or put earplugs in, etc.

I also feel my emotions more intensly than I should. I have to remind myself that it may not be as bad as if feels so I need a cooling off period.

I'm with you - this is one of my biggest challenges. I think it goes 1. Pain, 2. Sensory disturbances, 3. fatigue, 4. All the other little misc irritations.

Blessings,

Sofi
  6. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

you are not alone with this feeling. i can't stand being where there are to many people and to much noise for more then a few hours. if i am all i can do is think about how i am going to leave. this makes it really hard to work, i still smoke and some of the reason i do it so that i can leave the floor i'm working on and go someplace silent for ten minutes at a time. i need that or else i start getting panic attacks. xanax has helped with these feelings and so has seroquel. if it wasn't for the support and understanding of my psych dr. i know i wouldn't be able to keep working. it's bad enough to have the pain and cramping from fm, but then to also get anxious any time i'm around people for to long is just too much. i'm lucky that i have some very good understanding dr's and a very understanding and supportive husband. ny husband con tell when we are out somewhere and i can't handle it anymore, he always makes a polite reason why we need to leave without me even having to say anything. i thank god for him everyday.
    rachel
  7. starmom

starmom New Member

My youngest child is dxed with Sensory Integration Disorder. I probably should have been as a child. One of the things that helps him the MOST is brushing.

It is taught by a traiend Occupational Therapist. You use a special soft surgical scrub brush and brush the arms, legs, back, hands, with this brush. You do it in a certain order. Then you use very gentle joint compressions at each major joint (again, in a certain order). This routine helps the brain regulate what input is coming in, and how to process it.

I do it on him, and also on me. I find it REALLY helps keep me from getting as overloaded as quickly or frequently.

Search SID, Brushing, and sensory integration. This is all NON-invasive, gentle, and many kids (and adults) love it.

Susei
  8. jane32

jane32 New Member

thanks...what type of brush? everyday?

It is weird my emotions are fine...I feel the same that way..just my mind goes blank and need to get away from everyone. I don't know what to describe it as. It is like My body had enough so if I work it is 3-4 hrs. and that is it.

dpowers---so do you think GABA would help or is that more an emotional product?

I am happy as can be the only thing that brings me down is when I feel really sick.
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Jane - l-theanine is an amino acid which helps the brain produce GABA. GABA helps your brain produce alpha waves, it's very calming. It is not an anti-depressant.

The Japanese spike many products with l-theanine because it produces a state of calm alertness. I take it at night to help with sleep but you can take it during the day too.

If I were you, I'd try it, see what happens. Do a google search on l-theanine and GABA and see what you find. I order my l-theanine from Swanson Vitamins. Also, this website's store has a product that has l-theanine, GABA and 5-htp altogether. I've never tried that product.

Mary
  10. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Sounds like you might get some help from L-Theanine and Tyrosine maybe GABA also. I take Tyrosine and L-theanine during the day to raise my dopamine and norepinephrin levels. Dopamine keeps you alert but calm during the day while the noepinephrin gives you a boost. Then in the evening I take GABA to prepare me for bed. GABA is also calming but tends to put me to sleep. I'm also going to experiment with Glycine, I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Glycine also is inhibitory like GABA but works to balance the excitor effects of Asparate, wheras GABA works to balance Glutamate. Anyway, good luck...it's worth a try.
  11. caroleye

caroleye New Member

First, your acetylcholine overwhelms you (our alpha waves that turn "on" everything); and the "turn off" switches are both GABA & Serotonin.

I've been in acetylcholine overload for a long time, and am working with a neurofeedback provider to boost both my GABA & Serotonin up.

Taking them orally hasn't really helped me that much. And I needed to take them daily. If you balance your brain chemistry right, and avoid overstimulation, studies show it can remain that way.

Its worked for ADD kids for many years, and they're just now catching on about how it affects everything. The brain is our motor.

LIGHT**********carole
  12. jane32

jane32 New Member

can you explain this more? SO you don't take a supplement you talk to someone? WHat do they recommend?
  13. starmom

starmom New Member

The brush you use is a the kind surgeons use when they prep for surgery. You can order them through medical supply places, but get one w/o soap. It hink the brand is EZ Scrub 160.

You do the brushing routine every 3 hours at first, then less and then less.

Googling Sensory Integration and brushing protocol will come up with qutie a few things. Most Occupational Therapists work primarily with kids on this, but I am sure you can find one to talk to you about it. Try for a referral from your doc to an OT who treats SID.

It is a whole different approach than adding another med/supplement. Teaches your brain how to handle things differently. BE SURE NEVER TO BRUSH YOUR STOMACH!!!! This can lead to severe stomach upset, illness, and really disrupted sensory integration.

There is a book called "The Out-ofSync Child" by Kranowitz that is AWESOME at explaining SID in kids. There is a companion called "the out of sync child has fun" that is filled iwth ideas for activities. I have found them to be helpful in managing my own SID, though the books are primarily geared toward kids. I encourage you to look for these in your library or bookstore.

I have been able to really help my older child and myself with these. And the activities are fun and inexpensive.

Susie
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Cheney wrote an excellent article on Klonopin and why he feels it works for us. According to him, we are in a state of constant low-level seizure activity in our brains. The Klonopin stops the overfiring of the neurons and prevents the neurons' early death. Seizure activity can cause anxiety/panic attacks, sensory overload, RLS, tinnitus, racing brain, and muscle spasms.

Love, Mikie
  15. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

That's very intersting info Mikie. That actually makes a lot of sense.

I have just recently started Neurontin - I think it's similar to Klonopin. I know it's primarily used for seizures or neurologic pain. It does seem to help me.

Yesterday, I forgot to take it in the morning and I was extremely agitated all day.

Sofi
  16. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Tons of info on the web. And providers listed as well.

Yes Mikey, I agree with you. I've taken Klonopin for several years, and it's addressed more than one symptom. I think I mentioned this before, but this is when neurofeedback sold me.

One week we hit a GABA & Serotonin point & I slept the best I have in years. Went cold turkey off my Klonopin, as I just didn't need it. But after 5 days, had to continue it, as wasn't able to continue my neurofeedback until provider returns from month vacation.

Studies have shown that if done correctly, people often reduce their meds and some get off them entirely. The trick is finding the right provider.

LIGHT************carole
  17. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Thank you for this post. Sensory overload is what causes me the most fatigue, as you mentioned, to the point of having to immediately get myself away from whatever is causing the overload. I find that even 10 minutes of sleep can seem to reset my brain enough that I have much less fatigue - until I get overloaded again.

Interesting that being around some people causes me to feel this way and being around others does not.....

As for smoking, I believe I read somewhere that it raises serotonin levels. Of course it's not good for you otherwise but I sure understand how some people feel they need it. I still have times I'd do almost anything for a cigarette.

The brushing is interesting as is the amino acid info. I'll follow up on both. I always wondered why taking an amino acid supplement was helpful. Now I know. Triptophan is also an amino acid and part of the comlex in the capsules I have. Now I just have to remember to take them regularly!

Marta
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sofi, the article is in the Library here. Do a search on Cheney and on about page 3 of the list of his articles is the full article on the Klonopin and seizure activity. It's a very good read.

Carole, I'm so impressed with the neurofeedback and how much it has helped you. That's an area I may get into later on. Unfortunately, in order to accommodate the Part D Medicare without charging a premium, my HMO has really increased co-pays, so I'm not as inclined to use it.

Love, Mikie
  19. jane32

jane32 New Member

I hope I am explaining my symptoms it is just hard to. I feel like every system is ready to shut down and I need to close my eyes. I thought Klonopian is an anti anxiety drug. I do not have panic attacks or race in any sort of panic attack way.

For instance today I went in the city with my hubby for 2 hrs. After we walked for two block and ate lunch I started to feel very fatigued and closed my eys. I got a slight headache and then my arms and finger got shakey. I begin to feel really weak and my mind just shuts off. I have like no short term memory. We got in the car and I just could not talk b/c I am so tired and can't think. I want to be up and energetic but just can't. The more I do the worse I feel. I just laid down for an hr. I do not fall asleep I just lay there and then I can think again.

Do you think this is just CFS and my body's way of crashing? I did have a brian MRI and it was completely normal.

Is this something Klonopian can do? I was hoping that by going to the FFC and being on a million vitamins I would be doing better. I was really thinking that instead of 3-4 hr.s I would last 6 -7 hrs. but there is no change in this area since I came down with CFS last year.

This part just has to get better. I mean I am thankful for the few good hrs. I have but there has to be something that works.

I guess do you all think this is sensory overload or would you call it something else?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/06/2006]
  20. Juloo

Juloo Member

He was mild to begin with, but his 'numbers' were definitely in the ADD category. They have been steadily coming down (he goes for treatment twice a week), and this past week was the first time all his ratios were all in the non-ADD category. They even put him in a room that has much more distraction, but it didn't bother him.

The technician said that the thing they've had to work on most is the muscle tension. We'll take him for another week before stopping for the summer. Then he'll pick it up again in July right before school starts again as a 'topper'.

Thanks for the recommendation about the Out-of-Sync Child books. I will definitely look into that. Both he and I fit this description.

[ advertisement ]