sensory overload

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Oct 30, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

How do you deal with it??? Any options besides deep breathing??

I know the Doc last wk mentioned licorice root and also yohimbe herb.....Does anyone know of any triggers for it or how to get relief once it starts??

I have a new tonic called Melisana Klosterfrau ( you can look it up on the net, not MLM) andyway, my new guy who does the infratonic therapy/release therapy/accupressure stuff gave it to me and it does seem to help, it is a natural sedative.

Any other tricks???

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

How do you deal with it??? Any options besides deep breathing??

I know the Doc last wk mentioned licorice root and also yohimbe herb.....Does anyone know of any triggers for it or how to get relief once it starts??

I have a new tonic called Melisana Klosterfrau ( you can look it up on the net, not MLM) andyway, my new guy who does the infratonic therapy/release therapy/accupressure stuff gave it to me and it does seem to help, it is a natural sedative.

Any other tricks???

Jaci
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

How the heck DO we deal with it. I have 4 children, and 4 grandchildren (ages 2-6). We all live on the same ranch, lol, I'm a texan. When they all descend upon my house, its louder that a Led Zepplin concert (that dates me). Not only does the noise level, become unbearable, but the motion is overwhelming, as the small children flit from place to place. There are too numerous conversations going on.....and add to that a tv or stereo, and I feel like I am in a war zone. Keep in mind, I raised four of my own children in this little house on the prairie, plus two more children (lost puppies that mine brought home--during their teens). This sensory overload has been a recent problem, and its blowing me away. I use to be the one who could single mindedly....accomplish a task, in spite of the chaos.
    I have this in crowded stores, restaurants, even driving on congested city streets.
    I haven't found anything as of yet, so I am interested in others findings.
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2002]
  4. sb439

sb439 New Member

klonopin (Clonazepam) is meant to help with sensory overload. Mikie has mentioned this several times. If one takes tiny doses at daytime (otherwise it makes one sleepy)it takes the edge of noise and light.

Another thing I try to do is to minimize noise (that's my main problem) whenever possible, so that I can bear it better when it's not possible.

For instance I have earphones (Bose, but there are also cheaper brands) that are designed to keep noise out by producing the opposite wavelength, and they really work for things like building noise, flight noise, train noise, loud music, and any kind of noise that is continuously on the same wavelength. They have helped me often.

Susanne

[This Message was Edited on 10/30/2002]
  5. lease79

lease79 New Member

A problem that I suffered from mildly in highschool, but June this year whilst shopping it picked up again after I had a very late night & has been unbearable since :(
    I have good days & bad, but I can't shop at all (bright lights, noise & tracking drive me insane) & I feel like I'm going to pass out :(
    Not much I can do about it at the moment as I am 4 months pregnant :(
    Any natural remedies would be muchly appreciated ;)

Lease
  6. dlizard

dlizard New Member

lots of times I simply feel overwhelmed. It's not nessarily noise or traffic or anything like that but like I can't possibly get everything done in the day! of course the noise traffic and lights etc all add to it but the feeling can come on alone! It's strange and just evidence in my book of our "inadequate wiring" LOL>>>> Good luck!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As mentioned above, I use 1/4 of a .5 mg tablet which I slip under my tongue and it mainlines right into my system. My doc and pharacist said this is a perfectly fine way to take it. It works very fast and at such a low dose does not make me sleepy.

I always wear sunglasses when the glare is bothering me. I do try to get some sunlight without sunglasses every day as it sets the internal clock and helps with sleep.

Noise is probably my worst offender. Places like Wal Mart where the idiots who use the PA systems think they have to scream when paging someone just about drive me up the wall. I will either leave or simply check out early. I've learned and now take the Klonopin before shopping in these kinds of stores. Grocery stores can be just as bad.

Love, Mikie
  8. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I just thought I was "unAmerican"! I do love apple pie, and mom--but I am with you...Walmart is a scary place. Lights that seem brighter than the sun's surface....blue light specials on aisle 14 broadcast in the one hundred-thousand decibel range...multitudes of people jabbering at once!
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

It's good to know that I'm not the only one either ;)

Lease
  10. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Well, now, I'd sooner visit my mother than go to Walmart...& it's been years since I've not be able to wiggle out of family holidays.

Sunglasses (even at night in the winter) are a necessity for grocery stores or anyplace that has flourescent lights. The humming or vibrating sounds give me headaches & nausea. Then there are the smells in the aisles with scented paper goods or the aisle with those awful Hallmark cards & candles. I try to be in & out very quickly, planning which aisles I can visit & which I can't. Though, I'm always tripped up by some holiday display that's just moved.

I've also had to use my sunglasses & earplugs while in the warm water therapy. I feel like voices & the lapping of water are all bouncing off the cement walls.

I hate to see summer end, but at least I can't hear the crickets anymore -- I used to hear them outside even over the airfilter & either the fan or the air conditioner. When I'm laying in bed I sometimes hear faint music, like from an old AM/FM radio. No, there isn't any source & I even checked with the elderly next-door-neighbors to see if by chance they play a radio between 2-4AM. Not a chance. Odd, no?

Bummer.

Best thoughts to all.
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

People with FM have hypersensitive nervous systems and this is why some of us are so bothered by bright lights and loud noises. That's also why so many of us suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. From my own personal experience, I do know that it fluctuates. I used to jump out of my skin when there was a loud noise. I had trouble sitting in restaurants and staying in the same room with all my kids and their kids. At home I could "take 10", and go to my room, shut the door and just chill for awhile until my nerves settled down....then I'd go back out for more. In public, I had to grin and bear it and FORCE myself to remain calm and endure it. This does often go in stages and will for awhile be really bad and then gradually get better. I'm almost back to normal now and am seldom bothered by lights and noise. I'm hoping everyone else will find improvement too!

Marilyn :)
  12. fibolady

fibolady New Member

tremedously. my sensory overload was worsening over the years. i could not enjoy running errands, couldn't stay in one store very long anyway (does every place in america have to play loud music, can't we have a little "peace" of quiet when we leave our homes, obviously not), going out to eat, etc. i had to wait in the orthodonist office for an hour this week and you wouldn't believe how loud they had the radio station tuned in, nothing but commercials, who cares!!

i have yet to find a pair of earplugs that are comfortable, but maybe i will just start going out with bose earphones on, ha, sunglasses and of course gloves for my cold hands. i will probably get arrested for impersonating a criminal.

warm regards, fibolady
  13. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Loud, bright....it is scary, Karen! And my husband always says he can feel his I-Q drop about 20 points every time he crosses the threshhold of a Wal-Mart. We prefer Target; okay, the red-orange bullseye is a little hard to take, but somehow it always seems a little quieter there....

To calmer & easier shopping,
    Pam
  14. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I've gotten to where I just hate to go anywhere that might have other people. The flourescent light buzzing has me in tears before I can finish my shopping, and the uncontrolled children have me ready to commit all sorts of attrocities. My dogs are all obedience trained - WHY can't people at least teach basic obedience to there children? The music that really bothers me is that which is turned so low that I can just barely hear it. My ears have gotten extremely sensitive to certain tones. I can hear the beeping of a video game from 3 rooms away. Drives me right up the wall. Wouldn't be so bad if I had a paint brush in my hand, as it would make it easier for me to reach the ceiling.
    Kathryn