Sensory overloadyelled at kidsfeel baaad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Oct 16, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Help! As fall is here, I start to feel worse, and with that comes the rediculous sensory overload. It makes me on the edge.

My son would not listen and did the opposite of what I asked him (not on purpose) and I snapped. He has problems paying attention (will have him tested for Lyme in November, as some might know, Lyme can cause consentration difficulties in children).

The combination of both our "imperfections" clashed, and I am of course the grown up and should hold my horses, but my brain is so shot when I flare that emotion rather than intellect takes over.

I feel baaad! Nobody is perfect, I know, but I want my son to feel good about himself when he goes to school.

I know the sensory overload get bad with me, sounds, and anything you can think of gets me if I don't turn off the distraction. Even my own voice drove me bonkers,,,,LOL!

How do you huys deal with those everyday things? If I put my mind to it and have a game plan how to deal with it ahead of time I usually do well. I think I have to do this.

Do you have a suggestion of medications (non psychiatric) that works on sensory overload that we often have with FM/CFS?

Thanks for listening to me.
  2. supergirl99

supergirl99 New Member

I have a three year old and sometimes I really loose my temper, most of the time I can think to myself 'she is only 3' but when things are bad (have CFS & SAD)I just snap. It upsets me too but my husband tells me that I am only human and he is right. Someone also told me once that children need to see people upset and even arguing sometimes as long as they can see things are ok after it is healthy for them to know that we have feelings too. Hope this helps, sorry but I don't know about meds or anything. I also beleive that it shows our children oh...can't think of the words. What i'm trying to say is that if you say sorry he will see that as a positive thing - am I making sence??? and I thought i was having a good day lol!!!

Chin up
    x
  3. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Just know you are not the only one that does this...I find myself appoligizing all the time as my kids are heading out the door...

Some nights I cry myself to sleep cuz I feel so bad for the way I have treated them.

I just try really hard to make up for it later.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for meds. But I do know the more junk food I eat the worse I am. The more salt intake affects me too...So maybe you need to consider your diet?? Also a change in your sons diet would help him concentrate too maybe?? Just a thought..

Good luck...I know how hard it is!

4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I feel so much better hearing this from all of you. I will call my doctor today and ask for Klonopin, I can give it a try. The season is just starting, and I don't want to cause more harm than nessecary. My son is a sensitive artist soul, poor thing!

When I think back (someone mention a child with fibro since early childhood), it is possible that my son has FM too, I recognise myself in him from when I was a child. I had problems early on. They didn't "blow up" until I had my first child, before that I had cognitive problems, nerve sensory problems in my arms, migraines from age 3, sick alot (fevers, flu's, gastro problems, etc).

I really hope I'm wrong, it was difficult growing up and having those problems, coupled with PTSD. I wish I could take it all away for him!

You guys are so wonderful when it comes to support, especially in family issues. We all know how this DD can damage relationships.

5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thank you, I will try. I will hug him extra hard when he comes back from school today!

As for Klonopin, I read that it can make you drowsy- fatigue is a major issue with me, will the drowsiness go away with use?

6. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I'm battling with the same problem,, and too seem to do better when I can tell myself how to react ahead of time. This usually happens after an outburst when I'm feeling badly about blowing up. It is VERY hard for me Every morning lately getting out of bed in pain, to answer to the requests of my four small children. I have four do-ers and FM did not appear in me until after the fourth. I just try very hard not to let ANYTHING get to me, including letting things go that you think have to get done. Most others in my life don't understand what I go through, and that was a stress in itself. Don't worry about what anyone thinks. Also as soon as you can, appaulogize to your child, and explain to them why you blew up! I'd love to go hide in a hole for a month...hibernate this winter, but know that instead I have to keep running the show! You do too, take care.
  7. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Hi sweetie....I responded to your other post on the WB. Please read it!

Lena...I take klonopin (clonazepam) and it makes a world of difference. When I was going through some of the worst stress of my life.. this med really helped me!

And.... for the drowsiness...well, I would begin with a very low dose until your body adjusts. I can't take anything or I get drowsy...but I adjusted to this med well. You might even start off at bedtime. I take one .05 mg at bedtime only...and it helps me rest. I don't feel groggy the next day. I hope it works!

Love....Mari

8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

abcanada, MamaR and Wake,

I am so happy to hear from you all! Thank you so much for responding. We love our children to death and want to keep them out of harms way, but sometimes we do the harm ourselves.

I have to prep myself with preventative planning on how to deal with this, the summer have given me a break as far as the sensory overload and bad pain is conserned. This seem to trigger me more than the relentless fatigue and the other stuff I have.

My Internist doesn't give me meds, he is not good with that. He is conserned about long term use, but what choice do we have? We have to find ways to make life as normal as possible!?

MamaR- so good to see you here, I will check on the other post. Thank you before hand.

Many hugs,

Lena

9. homesheba

homesheba New Member

this happens to me also and i feel like i will loose my mind!!!
    no one can understand when i cant tell them things cause i cant articulate them at time s and i sound like a nuu nuu head..
    . sigh
    i get so frustrated cause im not nuts - i just get so overwhelmed when so much is coming at me at once.

thank you for posting this, im sorry you all have this also.
  10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

homesheba- and the hardest thing is for a regular doc to understand our symptom is not a sign of mental illness,,LOL!

Suz- You are so right! It is good for children to see that grown- ups mess up too AND show them what they DO about it (apologizing, etc). They will learn to do the same, and that fault (in themselves) is not a sign of weakness, just humanly human!
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i can't hardly move w/o it.

it helps calms just the little creaky noises at night. that would make me jump out of my skin.

helps w/muscle spasms and pain.