Sent my tempurpedic back

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by livin4him, May 4, 2006.

1. livin4him

livin4him New Member

Just to let everyone know my experience with tempurpedic. I had gotten the Supreme Tempurpedic from Brookstone with the 90 day trial. I kept it for less than 60 days. I had hoped that I had finally found a bed I was going to be able to use, but this was not the one. I have severe back pain and it did not help that. Also the heat from the bed would wake me up, it was like whatever body part was touching the mattress would feel like it was on fire. And there was no relief in my back pain unfortunately.

I did like how it did not press back on me like typical springcoil mattresses. I liked the way I felt like you sunk into the mattress.

Most of the time I had it I went back and forth in between my recliner and the bed. The only relief I get in my back pain is in my recliner. The recliner I have pretty much lays all the way flat and I am able to elevate my legs above to take the pressure off my hips.

I think what I need is an adjustable bed and I am going to look at part foam and part polyester. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

2. Slangx

Slangx New Member

I tried the bed for about 2 weeks, then sent that sucker back!! I hated it for the same reasons: too hot, and for me, I didn't "sink in" as much as I wanted to, to take the pressure off my shoulder pain (I'm a side-sleeper).

Instead, I bought a regualar spring bed, but a high-end one (Kingsdown, I think it's called?) and it's got a huge fluffy foam pillow top. I got the biggest & best one they made.

So, you can sink into the pillow top but still be supported by the mattress itself. I like it.

A friend of mine (but not a fibromite) has a featherbed & loves it. I don't know about that, I've never tried one.

C.
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I slept on our couch for 10+ years. It was the most confortable. In our camper, I sleep on an air mattress on top of the regular mattress. I recently got an adjustable bed (given to me) so I bought an air mattress and put it on top. It is the best, let me tell ya. You can raise you head or legs to any height.

The only other thing I would like to try it a latex foam (not memory) mattress. I have slept on foam before and it is truely grand. So, foam on an adjustable bed, maybe as close to heaven as I'm gonna get for a long time. I'll let you know.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/04/2006]
  4. taniazcatz

taniazcatz New Member

We were going to get a tempurpedic but we decided on a similar mattress made by a company called bergad. Its a lot like tempurpedic but there are 2 big differences, one is the smell from the new mattress, it gave me a headache when I slept on the tempurpedic bed. The other difference is the heat it holds. The bergad bed holds some heat but nothing like the tempurpedic. And the good news is that the bergad is a lot cheaper. I love our mattress I do rest better on it than a regular mattress.

Good Luck

Tania
  5. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Glad to read this, as I have considered getting one. I have tried so many mattresses, still in agony. I have awful back pain too.

Tempur-pedic seems to very much be a love it or hate it thing. Glad you could get your money back, huh? :) I hope you find something soon you can use. It is SO frustrating. I just got my Cuddle Ewe last night, and it felt heavenly to lay on, but I still woke up in agony. :( Don't know if anything will alleviate that or not.

Glad you can at least get some relief in your recliner. I have tried that too, and don't do too well sitting up to sleep. Maybe it's mental.

I hope the adjustable bed will work for you. I'm sure you know this by now, since you've been through the same thing as me, but be sure to buy something with a trial period again, because you never know. :) I, too, have yet ANOTHER mattress coming to my house Saturday. It does have a 30 trial. Maybe between that and the Cuddle Ewe, I can put something together.....?

Julie
  6. srh

srh New Member

We sent ours back also. But all of you talk about the heat, you should try one in the north. If it is cold, it is almost rock solid. Takes quite awhile to warm up.

Neither my hubby or I could roll or get out of bed hardly.

We purchased a top of the line pillow top mattress, but that wasn't enough, so we got a tempurpedic like mattress topper and it works pretty well.
    M
  7. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

good for you!

We hate this bed! Hubby and I are both plus sized people and the only people that seem to be able to use this bed is skinny people that weigh on the bed less then 250 combined.

Hubby would sink in and assume the offical taco position. He said felt like his butt sank and his head and feet were too high and he could never roll over.

I got to try it at his sleep study and it SUCKED! I needed help out of the bed I could not move and in 4 mins I was sweating like a pig. Ewwwwwwwwwwww

We are also looking at new a new mattress and box spring. We are looking at the Original Matress Factory. THey have a heavy guage wire they use in the top of the line bed.

SO maybe look then up on line see if you have one near you.

HAGD all Brenda
  8. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

My sleep number bed has now been under me for 2 full years and if your tried to take it away there would be a fight.

This was one of the best things I did to help relieve the nighttime trigger point pain I was dealing with.

The first month or so I would adjust it 6+ times a night...now I go for weeks and never touch the adjustment button.

I do have a different setting for tummy sleeping then for side sleeping but since I no longer toss and turn all night I simple fall asleep on my tummy...and wake up on my tummy (which is my prefered sleeping position!)

Sleep number has a return guarantee for a certain period...so if you are still looking for sleeping comfort I would highly recommend this bed.
  9. 6cats

6cats New Member

I was wondering about the sleep number...I want to see if insurance will cover any of the cost because my husband will NOT pay for a new bed. I did purchase a body pillow and this sucker makes a complete "U" shape and I have used it 3 nights and I LOVE it...from Hamm and Shelmmer...or someplace like that lol.
  10. livin4him

livin4him New Member

just now been able to get back on and saw all the replies. Thanks to everyone. Another thing I forgot to mention besides the heat and no relief on back pain was that my head always felt like I was leaning back and down. Almost like the bed was tilted downwards at my head. And it made no difference about the pillows that I used either, which happened to be the tempurpedic one. It was weird.

Anway thanks to all who replied. It is a huge struggle for all of us.

Take care.
  11. starmom

starmom New Member

We bought the WalMart version of the sleep number bed. I LOVE it. I just wish my kitten would stop playing with the remote, she changes the setting!! Cracks me up, but can be very uncomfortable, LOL!

This is NOT an expensive bed, have had it over a year and LOVE it. Works great, even with kids coming kin and out of bed at night. Heas held up well.

ssorry bout hte spelling, can't type tonite.

Susie
  12. sept

sept New Member

We have had our tempurpedic for over a year and love it. Live in central Florida and do not run air 24/7....never hot from mattress. My husband has arthritus....he's improved vastly.