Serex?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrea4, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

I had my first visit with a psychiatrist and she gave me a script for Serex to help with anxiety.

Anyone else take this? what do you like and not like about it?

thanks!
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Haven't heard about it, but will send this up to the top to see if it catches someone's attention.

(-:
    Sue
  3. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hi -
    Serax (generic name oxazepam) is a 3-hydroxybenzodiazepinone, but is chemically somewhat similar to Valium (diazepam), but with a better safety profile. It is an anti-convulsant (anti-seizure) that has tranquilizing properties, which is why it is used in controlling anxiety. It is also used as a sleep-inducer, to help with alcohol withdrawal and for irritable bowel syndrome.

I was treated with clonazepam (Klonopin) the second year after I got sober because I was crippled with severe panic attacks.

Anxiety disorder is a vicious cycle - you go through an anxiety attack and it freaks you out so much that you start to anticipate having an anxiety attach, which makes the next attack worse, and so on and so on.

An anxiolytic drug basically breaks the cycle. Mostly I've heard of people being co-treated with an antidepressant that has been shown to have long-term success with anxiety as well. This way, the tranquilizer breaks the chain for the short term, giving the anti-depressant time to kick into the blood stream in a steady state for to provide long term treatment. Because they can be addictive and long-term use may increase the body's tolerance for the drug (meaning the longer you take it the more you have to take to get the same effect) - in general docs tend to be conservative regarding prescribing it long term.

Hope this helps!