Serious Diet Pop addiction Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by texangal81, Jun 29, 2008.

1. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

About a year ago I posted the blog below on a weight loss site that I was writing on at the time. It was humorous and I was deadly serious. I was NOT giving up my Diet Dr. Pepper (DDP) so get over it. However, my life is now very different than it was last year ago. I now know I have a disability, one that I plan on fighting as much as a I can. I don't need to give it a hand along the way. I need to give it up now. No recriminations or lectures, I understand I need to get this monkey off my back ASAP. Help!

Last week I made the decision to quit the soft drinks cold turkey, I won't quit the caffeine that way, the headaches are too bad, and I have headaches as it is! So I went with caffeinated tea and Stevia. The Stevia wasn't sweet enough, so I tossed in a bit of Splenda. Aspartame will be a thing of the past. Or so I thought. I was "jonesin" so bad for a DDP I got in the car and ran up to buy a few 20 ouncers. I got home, they were old. You know what I mean? The aspartame had "gone over" as my mom would say. So I got BACK in the car to pick up a few that were a bit better. I knew then this wasn't going to be easy. What am I hooked on? The aspartame?

To make it even more imperative that I kick this stuff, I plan on having lapband surgery soon, and then I HAVE to give it up. I know, I know cold turkey is best and that would be easy if I was a normal, healthy person. But I'm not. With pain and fatigue to deal with, I can't deal with anything else. So this is my idea. Quit the aspartame sweetened soft drinks immediately. Substitute Splenda sweetened drinks (and I will kick this next). Drink one in the morning instead of two. Take my OWN stash to work. Instead of upwards to 6, I will take only 3. I will drink water in between. I will continue to cut back. I will then substitute ice tea with Stevia in the morning, etc. This isn't going to be easy. It might take a month. Do you think this is doable? Or am I just kidding myself. Has anyone else kicked a really bad soft drink addiction and how did you do it?

Feel free to comment or continue to read the aforementioned blog:

Ok, the truth is out and trust me I have tried so hard to hide it. I'm tired of the whispering and disapproving stares, the clucking about brain tumors and depression and cross-dressing(cross-dressing?).....where was I, oh the well meaning 'friends' who can quote chapter and verse of the latest medical study about the dangers. So ok, its out......... I love Diet Dr. Pepper. I love Diet Big Red - 10 pts if you know what that is. I'll drink Diet Coke in a pinch, I will crawl for any store named brand caffeinated diet soft drink if I haven't had any for a few hours. I have given up food, I have given up alcohol, I have given up a few other wonderful, but unhealthy dalliances along the way. I AM NOT GIVING UP MY DIET POP.

I know, I know. The caffeine will increase my appetite. The artificial sweetener will mess with my blood sugar and weight loss. The carbonation will rot my teeth and stomach. I will have headaches, mood swings, and brain tumors. And if I'm a Phenylketonuric, it will most likely kill me. Nothing is perfect.....

Oh, you nod knowingly, except for water. Yes, water is the perfect drink for our bodies, since we are pretty much made of water to begin with. It is clean, clear, crisp, cool with no additives, no caffeine, no carbonation, no sweetener, no flavor......... I cannot tolerate water. It is so, so watery! I've tried designer water, bottled water, tap water, rain water (yeah, I looked kind of funny doing that) and it just doesn't get the job done.

My diet soft drinks are like Linus' blanket, my one area of comfort in this big bad world. Even when I was pregnant with my son, I allowed myself one DDP in the morning when I went down to school (I had returned to college and decided I wasn't busy enough earning my degree and raising a 7 year old so I figured another baby was in order). Just one tiny 16oz bottle of DDP a day and it didn't hurt him one bit. He was perfect when he was born. And the doctor amputated that third foot without any problems.

So now that is it out in the open, I know you will try to shame me into giving it up. I will be happy to recount the painful scene where I was dragged kicking and screaming from the office because my helpful colleagues tried to pry a diet big red from the death clutch I had on it (I won, btw). They washed their hands of me. Told me that 'sure you LOOK great', but that stuff will kill you. I look at it this way, if it does, I'll have a great body to bury........
  2. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

No shaming into giving it up from me....I think you know what is best for you...if weaning or switching is what you need to do...Go for it!

Additions are nasty believe me I was a smoker and tried many different ways to quit......finally (Know you do not want to hear this)cold turkey was the only way I could quit for good...but that is ME and you are YOU! Good luck to can do it!
  3. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

Your blog was really well written - humorous, yet clearly from the heart.

Well, no recrimination here. Diet coke has been my own nemesis, and one of the last things I've been able to give up. But over the past years, I've come to the conclusion that with CFS, we just cannot tolerate toxins. Your liver and digestive system are not eliminating toxins the way they should, so the toxins just keep recirculating in your bloodstream, tainting every system in your body. They take up residence in your fat cells, which creates that horrible weight that just won't come off.

Some people think CFS is caused by toxins, I have a tendency to think they certainly contribute.

Aspertame is evil and I get that you know that already. There's not much I can tell you that you probably don't already know. Pizza was another Big Thing for me, until one day I was so sick that I got a pizza out of the box and hated on it for about 15 minutes. I just sat there staring at it and hating on it with passion because of what it has helped do to my body. It became a symbol of hate and that enabled me to stop eating it cold turkey. Sounds stupid I guess, but visualization has a tendency to work well for me.

Being critically ill for extended periods of time has a tendency to create some anger within us about our situations. Try to redirect that anger. Don't be angry at your body. It's suffering, not causing the problem. Be angry at the DDP. Hate on it for a while and see if it helps.

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2008]
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I certainly didn't give up gluten without making a few promises I never intend to keep.

The thing is, once you get it completely out of your body, you're body will tell you it's bad for you. Either, you'll no longer like the taste or it will give you an immediate headache or stomache or ...

I'd just take it slow. Maybe 1/4 less today than yesterday. Eventually, you'll get down to one sip from a can and decide that spending $1.00 on a sip of soda is a little ridiculous.

This reminds me of when I was taking myself off Klonopin. I'd been on it for 16 years so I was so addicted it that it called my name from the medicine cabinet. It took me 4 months to withdraw from 1 mg and I did it a tiny bite at a time. Then it took me another 2 months of valerian root tea after completely eliminating it to convince myself I could sleep without drugs ...

Ya gotta start somewhere ... Marcia

5. Catseye

Catseye Member

I haven't been there, so I can't really suggest too much, I always hated aspartame and its nasty aftertaste.

But it sounds like you're probably low in minerals. There are the things I seem to notice right away (like getting irritable) when I'm low on them. And the nutrasweet must have a way of satisfying something in your body. Get a good mineral supplement with a form of magnesium other than magnesium oxide. That's one way you know it's a good supplement.

And start drinking the water with an electrolyte powder in

it. Electrolyte Stamina is an excellent product, with B and C vitamins and electrolytes. I like the orange flavor the best. I was drinking about 3 packets a day for months and it really helped. I don't really need it anymore. But you can probably just get anyone from the health food store. The stamina is really low in sugar, like 2.5 g per serving. Just make sure you don't get one with an aritificial sweetener in it!!!

If you do electrolyte solutions, you may want to add salt if you have adrenal fatigue since potassium is hard on the adrenals. Most of them have about twice as much potassium as sodium but you would want twice as much sodium as potassium. You could just throw in a pinch of salt.

And I wouldn't resort to gatorade if you can help it because of the sugar. The Electrolyte Stamina comes in convenient packets that you can stick in your purse and take with you anywhere. Then you just buy a bottle of cold water, pour in your packet and shake it up. It won't be as boring as water plus you'll be giving your body something it needs.

Anybody know if pedialite would work? It's for kids, right, so maybe it has less sugar and no sweetener chemicals?

good luck

6. 2_TiReD

2_TiReD New Member

I know what diet big red is....unfortunately!!!

Hmmmmm......I don't think I can add much (suggestion wise) that the previous posters have added. BUT.....I have seriously cut down on my diet code red/diet dr. pepper addiction. First I tried just drinking "regular" versions of the sodas - that just caused me to acquire 30 extra pounds of fat. Then I started buying pomegranite/cherry juice to which I added canada dry lemon sparkly water AND a pinch of pepper. Guess what? It kinda tastes like dr. pepper.

I haven't totally quit drinking pop - don't know if I will ever be able to not drink pop at all. Who knows. All I can say is that I am down to half a pop a month. I can live with that right now.....

Good luck!

7. Catseye

Catseye Member

that 2 tired said about the pop. That reminded me of a drink at the health food store I used to love. It was a raspberry soda. They didn't have it very often, I think it sold out as soon as it hit the shelves, but why don't you try checking out your health food store's line of pops? You may be able to find some with stevia as a sweetener and at least they're not full of chemicals - some of them are pretty yummy.
  8. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Do whatever works for you...but don't get down on yourself.

How about keeping a log and giving yourself a reward for every day or every other day you succeed. It takes at least one month to break a habit and form a new one.

Have you tried Chai Tea with Stevia...check out your local health food store, maybe they have some product help.

Keep us updated how you are doing!
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Texasgal,

I am certain that you have had others tell you how funny and what a great writer you are before. Well, I will tell you again but I also know that you are dead serious of what you are a trying to do.

So many have given you great ideas to try. I think one of the greatest ideas are just drinking less and less of it each day and keep a log.

Also, I know a friend of mine used to drink these bottles of flavored waters and I think they had some sparkle to them. Not sure where she got them from though.You might want to check,and see if you find them and if they have other artificial sweeteners in them. I did taste them sometime ago and they tasted good I thoughtbut find carbonation gives me alot of gass so try to stay away from alot of carbonated drinks. Occasionally I have a Sprite and usually do not drink the whole can.

Right now I am trying to wean mself down or off the Clonezapan and have been only able to get it down 1/4 tab 0.5mg with Flexeril to help me sleep at night. I do not think it makes me hurt more but I just sleep less.

I am so sorry you have this problem with the Diet Dr. Pepper. That is almost like my son except it is not diet and he could lose some weight !! Please do keep us up to date on your progress You do sound very determined and Iknow you can do it. As they say, Rome was not built in a day" so keep working at it sweetie, I know you can do it.

Sorry I can't be that much help on that. I used to smoke but I was more of social smoker and so gave it up easily when I realized I was spending so much money on them and letting them go stale. That did taste bad!! Plus, I was wasting money and they kept getting more and more expensive !

Msrcia - Is that Valerian Root tea decaff and can anyone drink it? When do you drink it, right before bed or what? Did you get it at the health food store??

Hugs and blessings,

10. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I bought the valerian root in bulk from my HFS. I know some supplements for sleep have it in them though. I saw it listed on a bottle of sleep aid the other day, but decided to stick with my tea ...

I got this idea from an all natural calming solution I paid $12 an oz for that was for my dogs. The first ingredient was valerian root. I give it to them too ...

HTH ... Marcia

Ps. I'm sure it's caffeine free or else it wouldn't have worked on me. I drank it right before bed. It worked immediately.

Good luck with withdrawals from Klonopin. I ended up biting a tiny bit off the last 1/4 of the pill. Don't pressure yourself to get off of it though. It's an anti anxiety med so the more you stress over it the harder it will be.

I actually went back up on the dose if the withdrawals were too much. That's why it took me 4 months ... [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2008]
  11. Granniluvsu

Do you know if they have the tea in bags or just loose??

If I can find something to help me sleep longer I could probably get off the clono.

Thanks !

Texasgal - Please excuse me for temporarily steeling your thread. That's all! Good luck in your weaning off the DDP.

12. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Sorry, I never looked for tea bags. Please be careful getting off the Klonopin if you're using it for seizures. You need to remove what's causing your seizures before doing this.

Benadryl might help you sleep through the night better than valerian root. I just needed VR to relieve my anxiety about not sleeping if I didn't take meds. I'd been on sleep meds for 16 years by then. Now that was a tough addiction to break.

13. Granniluvsu

Thanks no I am taking it for sleep along with flexeril.

14. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I am hoping to get off of ALL of it, but very slowly. Once I've kicked the aspartame I will kick the splenda, etc. I've tried doing stuff cold turkey and the withdrawal is he!!. Thanks but no thanks *L*!
  15. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I don't have any suggestions other than those already made, but know where you are coming from. I drank a 6 pack of Tab (gross) daily for many years (I actually used to drink a 6 pack on the ride to college - a mere 4 hours - so I frequently drank more than 6 daily). Then I switched to Diet Coke or Pepsi (no preference) and drank that for many years. Then I switched to water.

I had no luck with Stevia. I use it, but in order for me to get my coffee even mildly sweetened, I need about 30 drops instead of the couple that are recommended.
  16. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

My other favorite pop is DDP. It's ironic I ran across this post this morning of all mornings.

I told my bf that I need to stop drinking the coffee in the morning because I put too much crap in it and if I stop drinking it, maybe I could lose a few pounds. See, in my 32 oz. of coffee I use almost a 1/4 cup of "sugar in the raw" (haven't invested in stevia yet), 3 lg tablespoons of Folgers mocha cappuccino, and half and half (sometimes fat free).

So, I tried no coffee today. But what did I do instead? Drank 2 cans of cherry coke zero. I know I'm addicted to it as well. It used to be that I would drink water all day and allow myself ONE 12 oz. diet drink per day. But, that flew out the window.

I just wanted you to know I understand how you feel.

17. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I know you have been reading my posts about nutrition and such and I saw that you replied too...

Just wanted to send you some *Angel Hugs* in hopes that they increase your strength and courage to perservere over this 'addiction'...The alternatives are frightening...

PLease sit and think awhile about what could happen next if you don't find a way out...It needs to be eraicated from your life before doing more damage...Just look at all the control soada has over you...Cigarettes were the same for me and I quit cold turkey, didn't miss them at all, in fact today I can't even smell them...Can't believe I did that to myself, bad girl :)

Wante you to now I was reading your posts and sending you Peace, Love & Light to help you fight this beast...

I have faith that YOU can do this!!!

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2008]
  18. maryl

maryl New Member

I was a pepsi-aholic for years. I switched to Green Tea
    with Splenda in it. I alternate that with water, and I
    treat myself to one cup of coffee a day. It's a challenge
    to make a change like that, but you sound motivated, as I
    was, and I too believe you can do it. Green tea has many
    good benefits so it made it easier to think I was going to
    reap them. I will be rooting for you too. maryl
  19. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

Yesterday was tough and I was craving my DDP and did have a few, but less than usual. Today, so far, so good - only Diet Big Red (a regional brand, I've learned) - it sweetened by sucralose. I'm switching to Splenda sweetened drinks. This is only for the weaning process. My goal is to get off of all of it. I will need to get of the carbonation for my lapband surgery. So I hope doing it this way will be tolerable. I plan on switching to tea and lemonade (with no artifical sweetners or sugar, I'm hoping the Stevia will cut the mustard for me).

My softdrink habit is just that. It is my oral fixation. I never smoked so I didn't have to kick that (thank the Lord) but I did quit drinking and prescription drugs, so I know I can do this too. One day at a time really works for me. Today I won't drink DDP. I can't promise you what I'll do tomorrow, or the next day or next year. But for TODAY, I can do it. If you do that every day, you begin to string together a week, a month, then a year.

Thanks for everyones suggestions AND understanding!

20. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Best of luck! Any addiction is difficult to quit. I was a pack a day smoker for a very long time and quit a year ago. I still love the smell and would kill for a cigarette. I have friends who have not smoked in many years who would also kill for a cigarette and love the smell still. I have a friend who smoked 3 packs a day, could not wake up without first smoking, took nicotine gum on long plane rides....yet she quit and hates the smell.

So, I guess each addiction is unique to the person - best of luck with yours!! And I like your ODAT approach!