Serious dizziness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi everyone,

I am having a serious problem with dizziness, sometimes i feel faint.

Ive always had problem with this when ive got very tired but just lately it never leaves me and is so much stronger.

Since starting prothidan it has got worse. When i look at all the drugs i take it has this as a side effect.

I wonder if all these drugs make me worse not better.

I need drugs to help me relax and sleep more than anything.

Anybody got any idea what drugs help with this without giving you tiredness and dizziness as a side effect.

Thank you

Shazzy

[This Message was Edited on 04/23/2003]
  2. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Possible Side Effects

Symptom Frequency Consult a Doctor if
    Severe, All or Stop*.

Drowsiness Common Severe
    Sweating Common Severe
    Flushing Common Severe
    Dry mouth Common Severe
    Blurred vision Common All
    Dizziness Common All
    Fainting Common All
    Difficulty passing urine Rare Stop
    Palpitations Rare Call

* If Stop is shown next to your symptom consult your doctor before you are due to take the next dose.

Possible Interactions With Other Drugs

Sedatives: All drugs that have sedative effects intensify those of amitriptyline. Barbiturates: These reduce the antidepressant effect of amitriptyline and may increase its toxic effect in overdose. Heavy smoking: This may reduce the antidepressant effect of amitriptyline. Antihypertensive drugs: Amitriptyline may reduce the effectiveness of some of these drugs. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors: In the rare cases where these drugs are given with amitriptyline serious interactions may occur such as fever, seizures and delirium.

Consult your Doctor If You Are Taking This Drug and...

You have heart problems
    You have had epileptic fits
    You have long-term liver or kidney problems
    You have had glaucoma
    You have had prostate trouble

Points To Be Aware Of

Pregnancy: This drug's safety in pregnancy has not been established. You should discuss this with your doctor. Nursing: This drug will pass into breast milk and may affect the baby so you should discuss this with your doctor. Driving: Because this drug can lead to blurred vision and reduced alertness you should avoid activities such as driving or hazardous work until you have learned how the drug affects you. Alcohol: This must be avoided as alcohol may increase the sedative effects of this drug. Surgery & general anaesthetics: Amitriptyline treatment may need to be stopped before having a general anaesthetic. Discuss this with your doctor or dentist.

Effects Of Prolonged Use

No problems related to prolonged use are likely.

Looks as if you need to see your doctor about this side effect.

Love Pat.
  3. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the info.

I did talk to my GP about it last night but it never got me anywhere. He is putting it down to too much bed rest. I am trying to walk about as much as possible without making myself to over fatigued. Not sure what else to do but it is a big problem.

Shazzy
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Call or visit your pharmacist, bring all your meds with you. Let him/her tell you what is causing these problems.

Most doctors have not a clue what drugs can and cannot do. They are not required to take pharmacology in med school, and they should be made to do so as they are the ones that are handing them out.

Find out what is wrong, don't wait, do it as soon as possible.

Take care hon, and get to the bottom of what is wrong with you.

Shalom, Shirl