Serious Question About Exercise and Walking

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gypsywomyn, Apr 14, 2006.

1. gypsywomyn

gypsywomyn New Member

Has anyone experienced this problem? I cannot walk far a few blocks, due to the pain/stiffness and muscle spams starting at my neck to my calfs. However, I can sit and drive with just some neck pain. Today, out of frustration, I took out my bike and rode for quite awhile. Again, the pain was only bothersome in my neck ares while I was riding. Can't figure out why there is such a difference when I try to stand and walk. Any feedback would be great. Thank you.
  2. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Kind of. My legs bother me all the time but they do get much worse when I try to walk too far. I think it may have to do with the stress on my legs of carrying my body but I'm not sure. Most of my leg pain is due to muscle tension so it might just be that in general. I also think it might have something to do with the motion of walking, I've had my legs get so tense and painful during walking somewhere that I almost didn't make it back home and when I did, I was in tears because of the emense pain.

I really don't have an answer or solution to this issue but I wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

Hugs,
    Shananegans
  3. gypsywomyn

gypsywomyn New Member

Thank you for the feedback. Your explanation makes sense. Do you take any meds?
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Walking is difficult for me too, no doubt about it. It's because walking is a weight-bearing exercise that it can be so strenuous and painful for those of us with severe fibromyalgia.

However, I believe in taking daily walks as a form of exercise, a way to combat isolation and a way to keep my spirits up. Walking, by far, is one of the best things I can do for myself, in spite of it's difficulty.

When I walk outside (more that 1/2 block) I use a walker. This helps make the walk more enjoyable, takes the pressure of my lower/mid back and reduces the muscle spasms. A walker also helps with my balance issues which is another constant for me. As a bonus it provides a basket to carry my purse and packages, and a seat that I may stop and rest whenever the need arises.

If walking is important to you, you may want consider using a walker, rather than give up on this activity. My walker has changed my life.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Read somewhere that with the same amount of energy you can go 4 times as far on a bike.
    I am currently riding because my back is collaspsing and i cant walk enough to tone up the muscles..The riding is doing the job according to the physio.
  6. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Walking is very demanding on your body. Every muscle in your body is used when you walk. I have the same problem with the pain when walking.

Do you do any stretching exercises before you go for a walk.? This may help get your muscles moving and warmed up for the walk.

I try to walk every day when the weather permits and do this first thing in the morning, that is when I'm at my best.

Before I went to PT I could only make it about 150 feet before having spasms in my legs. Since I started doing the stretches that the therapist gave me I have increased that distance by almost double.

Bike riding also uses all of your muscles but in a different way. They are not stressed by the weight of your body.

Hope this helps.

Jake
  7. gypsywomyn

gypsywomyn New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback. makes a great deal of sense.
  8. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

What great comments. I have a bike collecting dust in the garage. My back, too, is collapsing. I hadn't gotten on the bike because I thought it would make my back worse. I take my dog for a walk daily, but can't walk for any longer than 30 minutes. My hip joints are also grinding.

Guess I'll bring my bike in for a tune up next week!
  9. cardinal50

cardinal50 New Member

I wrote a post yesterday and it tells of the problems that I am having when I walk, there are a couple of respones. I think you would be interested in the info there.
    Take care
  10. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

anyone considering a bike purchase should check out the new folding bikes by dahon or downtube. i just got a downtube and i love it. the bike folds up and comes up with a carrying case so you can take it anywhere. i'm going to spend some time in new england and i'll be taking my bike with me!

eddie
  11. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm going to new england actually, in the states; maine, massachusetts, connecticut. the folding bikes are great for recreational use. not so much for racing. you just turn a couple screws on the handlebars and center bar and it folds in half. they're very sturdy though, with a build somewhere between a bmx and a mountain bike. i haven't been on a bike in way too long. i feel like a kid again. it's great!

cheers,
    eddie
  12. darude

darude New Member

I take my dog for a walk everyday but when I return home my legs start cramping and I get awful fatigue. But I continue to do it because when I'm out there I enjoy it.
  13. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

which will CERTAINLY not turn into summer walking unfortunately. i am just about useless sometimes in summer due to the heat & humidity w/fm.

so as soon as spring arrived and my flares subsided after winter, i'm back out again.

don't get me wrong: i go for about 1/2 hour almost every day. i do have aches and pains from it but am hoping that stops once i've been out there enough.

yesterday my hip bothered me (weird, unusual for me) and after today's walk my feet are now bothering me.

i'll just take ibuprofen 800, nothing narcotic, and see if it eases up. i just know how much we all need to exercise so even if it's baby steps.........it's still steps!

i haven't had a bike in about 5 years now. would love one to try out and see the difference vs walking.

i have a bad back as well.......:(