Serious Ulcerative Colitis-can't leave the bathroom..

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by 8violet, Nov 7, 2004.

1. 8violet

8violet New Member

very sick to my stomach ( I wish I could just vomit and get it over with)afraid to eat any food and going out of my mind. Can't leave the bathroom to go out. I have lost a lot of water, how can my body eject so much stuff out of my colon? I have had this before, this is worst bout and can't leave the house to see my Doctor tomorrow because of the chronic runs. Going to emergency as soon as I can stop going to the bathroom. I WILL NOT go on Predisone again. EVER! Does anyone know of some other medication I can take to stop the Colitis?
    Any one have "experience" with this?
    PS Taking a ton of probiotics and Primal Defense
  2. maripat

maripat New Member

Soounds like you were having a horrible time. I truly know how your feeling. Please post again, hope your feeling better

peace, maripat
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Have you been on antibiotics lately? Just asking as you can inadvertenely kill all of the "good bacteria" inyour intestines. This can set up for a condition called Coli Difficile (I think it may also be called C. Dif. . There is a test that they can do for it using a fresh stool sample.

I've had this condition several times. It is nothing to mess with. The Drs. will first prescribe Flagyl (a different antibiotic) to try to kill the out-of-control "bad " bacteria that has taken over. They may also add Questran (the c. difficile sticks to the Questran as it goes through your intestine.) If that doesn't work, they bring out the expensive guns with a different antibiotic called Vancomyacin. Some people get this over and over and over.

You have to stay on the antibiotic for weeks or even months to get over this stuff. If you go off of the antibiotic too soon, it can relapse. I've had it so badly that I've had to live on nothing but diluted Gatoraid for 31 days with Vancomyacin to get the C. Dif. under control. Most people can continue to eat while taking the meds. One of the times that I've had it, the C. Dif. was so bad that I had to eliminate all foods except Gatoraid and water to get it under control.

So I don't know if this is what you have, but if your present meds aren't working-----I'd see if this could be the cause. Joyfully

4. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Ask your Dr for Asacol--that's what I took for UC. I also took Azulfadine (if your not allergic to Sulfa) The Asacol is what worked for me.
    PS try taking Enteric Coated Peppermint Oil Casules,it stops the spasms and you don't need a prescription. Can get them on the internet or Herb shop. They work for me.
    Hugs Shirley
    [This Message was Edited on 12/24/2004]
  5. bluegranny

bluegranny New Member

I have proctitis whic is related to ulcerative colitis with bleeding. I take Asacol and it has really helped keep all the bad stuff away. good luck.
  6. survivor3

survivor3 New Member

Maybe you are taking too much of the wrong probiotics. I suffered from severe IBS and about 4 years ago I had chronic bronchitis and I was on 12 doses of antibiotics in less than a year. As sick as I was I did research on the computer and found the best probiotic ever known to me. This is in live liquid form and tastes like plain vanilla yogurt, maybe even a little worse than that. I have been taking it for about 3 years and I have no more IBS and I am no more lactose intolerant. This has almost 100 Billion live active friendly bacteria in it and it comes from Canada. It comes in a 3.5 oz. bottle. I started slowly with 1 teaspoon and gradually worked up to a full bottle a day. Most people may only need 1/2 bottle. My kids even take it. The best one to take would be the original dairy which has no sweetener in it. The name of the product is call Bio-K plus. Your local health food store would be able to order it for you. It comes in a 6-pack or 15-pack. They also have a website you might want to check out. You will probably wind up paying about $52.00 per 15 pack, but it is completely worth it.
    Good luck with it.
  7. cgoodhue

cgoodhue New Member

Hello,

Please research glyconutrients and add coconut oil to your diet.

Best,

CG
  8. Sbilek

Sbilek New Member

Violet, my husband has ulcerative colitis, his colon was in pretty bad shape a few years back. I did some research on the web and seems as if ulcerative colitis, and Vitamin K deficiency run hand in hand.

I had him start taking Alfalfa drops in his water and aloe vera juice every day.

Also, a lot of people are very sensitive to wheat gluten. It destroys the very important villi in your intestines which allows IBS and ulcerative colitis to run rampant.

I've always felt stress plays a very big role as well, although my husband's doctor disagreed.

My husband could take the sulfasalazine, but, lo and behold, as is true with most pharmaceuticals, what does the sulfasalazine do, depletes more Vitamin K out of your body.

My husband was taking 4 sulfasalazine a day after his first diagnosis, I put him on the regimen of aloe vera, alfalfa drops, and cutting out the wheat gluten, all his colonoscopies since the first one have been fine. HIs doctor is amazed, and he is down to one sulfasolazine a dy.

Imperative that you nip this thing in the bud pretty soon though. Ulcerative colitis is very serious and can destroy your colon.

I'd cut out the wheat gluten immediately. It's in a lot of stuff I'm sure you are eating, just about every bread, processed foods, pasta, a lot of sauces, you just have to check labels.

L-Glutamine helps to restore the villi in the intestines, but cutting out the wheat gluten is imperative. Get started on some Vitamin K supplement. The alfala drops are loaded with Vitamin K, you can get them at most health food stores.

Good luck.

Sbilek
  9. Lindaanne

Lindaanne New Member

I would recommend metamucil 3x a day. The psypillium( bad spelling) husk fiber works wonders. The orange tastes just like tang. Sounds simple but it works. Avoid fatty foods too.
  10. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The original post was from 2004, so I hope she's okay by now.
  11. JoyDVision

JoyDVision New Member

Hi, I know exactly what you're going through because I had Ulcerative Colitis too. I decided to go through surgery and had a J Pouch made for me. But I just heard of some very interesting news here in Chicago that might be able to help you heeps. I heard a about a doctor at Rush University in Chicago who has just developed a diet for people suffering from Crohn's Disease. I know Crohn's is not exactly Ulcerative Colitis but there's not much difference between the 2 diseases. That's why I really think this doctor by the name of Ece Mutlu could be of great help to you. Believe me I only wish this diet and doctor existed when I had Ulcerative Colitis. If you have any questions about what it's like living with a J Pouch too, I'd be happy to answer your questions. I more than understand what it was like taking Predisone too. That was some very powerful stuff. Out of all the meds I've ever tried in my life, nothing had more serious side effects than Predisone. Although in pill form it wasn't bad, the injections though were very powerful. If it can help you though, it's worth the risk.