Seriously, Diet Coke and Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by myaeggi, Jun 11, 2004.

1. myaeggi

myaeggi New Member

I have a question that was actually triggered by a different post: Does anyone get a negative effect (fibro) by drinking diet drinks? I've been drinking Diet Coke so long, I don't know if it should make any difference on how I feel if I drink it or not. I've gone through times where I've not had it a while, but haven't noticed much of a difference. Maybe it's already in my bloodstream. LOL!

Any feedback would be great. I'll even take a lecture!

Love,
    Michelle
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Michelle:

Diet Coke contains many of the ingredients that are supposed to make FMS worse. Caffeine is probably the worst. When you have tried to stay off the diet coke, did you replace it with a caffeinated beverage? Just curious.

Good luck.

Ingrid

3. ajijaak

ajijaak New Member

It's not the Diet Coke per se, it's the aspartame (the active ingredient in Nutrasweet). Aspartame has been implicated, at least anecdotally, as a flare trigger in virtually every autoimmune illness out there - MS, RA, lupus, Guillain-Barre, FMS, you name it. Personally, I don't drink much soda anymore - I'm now a coffee addict - but when I do, I drink only moderate amounts, and then only the full-sugar version. Tastes much better, anyway (chuckle).
  4. maris

maris New Member

The artifical ingredient asparteme is what causes increased pain in many fibro patients. It is the ingredient in nutrasweet.

Diet Rite Cola uses Splenda in all of their diet sodas. Splenda is made from sucralose and is not supposed to cause pain.

I am completely off diet sodas and drink iced tea with splenda. I was out at a restaurant and all they had was nutrasweet, so I used it. I was in the worst pain that night. Since that experience I will never use anything that contains asparteme.
  5. Sharon1226

Sharon1226 New Member

to stop drinking Diet Coke because of the caffiene. So I switched to Caffiene Free Diet Coke :)

I miss out on so much with this DD, I'm NOT giving up my Diet Coke :) I'm addicted...drink it everyday. Is there a support group for this? j/k
    Sharon
  6. Juleast37

Juleast37 New Member

I was really wondering if aspartame had anything ot do with the increase in fibro pain I was experiencing and I saw a website that said if you have fibro-like symptoms to try a 60 day no aspartame trial period. So, I figured what have I got to loose? I am on day 9 of no diet drinks and I can tell you that for me, the difference is HUGE!!!!! I started taking Magnesium at the same time, so I do not know which is contributing to the decrease in pain (probably both I've decided) but geez, I feel so much better!

I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 30 years and have drank Diet Coke since it came out. My only choices with diabetes are water and diet soda (on a daily basis) and I was drinking way more soda than water. I mean years and years of diet Coke! Then I saw this website that said if you were diagnosed with FM and have these symptoms, try the 60 day trial period. So I did. People are beginning to suffer from aspartame poisoning and its really bad. I tried one diet soda in the past 9 days (had really high blood sugar and was sick of drinking water) and whamo, intense FM pain. Won't do it again.

FYI aspartame that gets over 86 degrees turns into formaldahyde (sp?). I personally don't want to be embalmed until after I am dead.

No lecture intended, only my own opinion and personal experience! My opinion is for all that suffer from FM to give it a trial period and see what happens especially if it is your preferred drink of choice. When cravings come up, I just drink a little regular soda. Make the blood sugar a little more difficult ot deal with but hey, pain is tolerable and I'd do anything for that!!

7. Lendi

Lendi New Member

There is "conclusive" evidence both ways as to whether aspartame is bad for you or not. I suspect it is an answer that is as individual as the person. Some it bothers, some it does not. I have, personally, given up my diet pepsi because of aspartame. I drink water instead. I heard it takes 3-6 months for aspartame to get out of your body. I've been off for probably 4 months and can not tell any difference at all. Actually, I'm taking muscle relaxants and anti-inflammitory's now that I wasn't before. hmmm, just now thought of that.
  8. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I was told to give up Diet Coke by a health practitioner (accupressurist) in 1995. She convinced me that some of my symptoms were being triggered by the aspartame. I gave up the Diet Coke for SIX FULL YEARS and noticed NO improvement whatsoever in my condition, so I went back to drinking a little of it. I agree with the poster who said that we have lost so much due to our illnesses, I don't smoke, drink or even drink coffee. Give me a break!

Hippo
  9. stagename

stagename New Member

that causes symptoms that mimic fibro, MS, etc.

you can search it on the part of this site that has articles.
  10. vbjess

vbjess New Member

I like coke with lime and all the grocery store had was DIET... I've been drinking that, but I can only drink about half a can before I start feeling sick. Really, really sick.
  11. myaeggi

myaeggi New Member

You really gave me some food for thought. I'm going to do the 60-day no diet thing. I feel a little torn though. I agree with those of you that said that we've already had enough taken away from us with this DD, but if there's a chance that it'll do some good to get off the stuff, BRING IT ON!

Thanks again, and have a pleasant nite,
    Michelle
  12. tilla

tilla New Member

I drink a lot of diet cokes and heard that it might cause the pain of FM, I bought diet rite as it has Spenda and it immediately makes me feel like throwing up. Sweet and Low used to do the same thing. I think they all must be bad for us. I also tried the mag and stopped diet cokes the same time and I have felt so much better.

Tilla
  13. jasontz

jasontz New Member

Most Dr's I know say get off nutrasweet. If you research it you will find it has really gotten some bad press.
    I do agree diet rite cola with splenda would at least be
    a step in the right direction to getting away from Diet Coke. Of course as one member posted splenda bothers them so everyone is different.
  14. Hippo

Hippo New Member

As has been mentioned, everyone is different. I definitely think it's worth trying for a few months to see what happens. As I stated previously, I went back to Diet Coke after six years with no benefit, but I am not suggesting that others won't benefit from giving it up.

Hippo
  15. myaeggi

myaeggi New Member

without Diet Coke. Hey guys, I have it in the morning instead of coffee. By now I'd already have had at least 2. So for me, this is major. I'm just going to do water and herb iced tea. Don't care for the other colas. Will keep you posted.

Michelle
  16. susabar

susabar New Member

I was a huge diet coke addict, BUT still have FM symptoms after not drinking it anymore !!!

Susabar
  17. RedB

RedB New Member

From the American Diabetes Association: "The American Diabetes Association accepts the FDA's conclusion that these sweeteners are safe."

From the Food and Drug Administration (FDA): " The FDA has continued to review complaints alleging adverse reactions to products containing aspartame. To date, FDA has not determined any consistent pattern of symptoms that can be attributed to the use of aspartame, nor is the agency aware of any recent studies that clearly show safety problems."

18. stagename

stagename New Member

will not cure fibro.

but eating/drinking it will make you worse.

overexposure (such as daily ingestion) can cause food sensitivities. These aren't true allergies, but when your body says- too much! this is why you may have been able to eat msg before, but now get a headache from it.

aspertame is a neurotoxin. it will damage your brain every time you use it. it will build up in you until you reach toxic levels. then you will experience physical symtoms. this is not a food sensitivity. this is poison.

MSG has been shown to create brain lesions visible under MRI. These brain lesions are similiar to what an MS patient would have. Migraine sufferers are often found to have brain lesions. Connected???

Don't eat/drink/smoke/chew stuff that rots your brain. we have enough trouble without poisoning ourselves.
  19. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I have CFS. One of my worst symptoms was dizziness, weakness, difficulty walking. Drinking soft drinks with aspartamine exacerbated my symptoms. I stopped drinking diet coke 9 months ago and noticed a huge difference. I now drink only water and 1/2 cup of coffee in the morning. My CFS symptoms were all caused by a dysfunction of my neurotransmitters. I have seen recently that aspartamine disrupts the function of these neurotransmitters. I have been amazed--I do not miss diet drinks at all. However, for a change of taste, I will drink club soda with fresh lime. Amy
  20. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Okay, so it's been a few months- have any of you who stopped using aspertame noticed a difference?

For me, I have been off of it for about 4 weeks and have had noticable improvment with my fibro pain. It's certainly not gone, but it is improving..

I'm still skeptical though, knowing how my fibro pain waxes and wains- it could just be a "good month" for me. I do intend to give it up for good- just in case it IS what's helping me.

I'm curious if any of you have had similar experiences.

Sharon