Seroquel anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nightngale, Mar 14, 2007.

1. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I just got prescribed for sleep issues and my mood has been awful. My psych doc thinks I may have a mood disorder. She said it would help with sleep, anxiety, and depression. Starting at a tiny dose of 25 mgs. My daughter who is Bipolar takes it. She can take anything it seems, I have tried every antidep. known so far with no luck.
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

My sister takes it and does quite well on it, except for some weight gain--she takes a much higher dose though. All meds have potentially serious side effects and Seroquel is no different.

If anyone saw tonite's NBC's evening news, the opening report was about sleep medications and their potentially dangerous side effects that are affecting a very small population that take them. The meds they specifically talked about were Ambien and Lunesta, which caused folks to sleep walk, talk, drive and cook. They want much stronger labels and brocuhures put on these meds and for good reason.

At any rate, Seroquel is no more dangerous than these meds, and your doc is doing the right thing by starting you off at a small dosage and monitoring how you do. I wish you well with it. I know how frustrating it can be to find the right medicine that works for you. Let us know how it goes.

Warm hugs, Erika
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Can be an amazing drug for those with schizophrenia or symptoms of it.

I'm not sure why any doc would prescribe it for sleep problems, anxiety and depression. Both of the previous posters are correct.

Finding the right drug or combination of drugs to help your individual symptoms can be a very difficult road. But if you're not having issues with hallucinations either auditory or visual, I personally wouldn't want to be on this drug.

I'd ask for the drugs used specifically to treat the individual symptoms. This drug is designed to lower functioning of those who are hallucinating and it works.

Many here including myself take Trazadone for sleep and it works wonders. It's an anti depressant but it really just makes you sleepy so it doesn't really do anything for depression. Works wonders for sleep issues though.

Best of luck to you...

Hugs,

Nancy B

4. singingirl

singingirl New Member

My 17 year old daughter is bipolar, and is on Seroquel for the mood stabalizing effect for the bipolar. She is also on Lexapro. She takes 100 mg at bedtime. The only side effect I have noticed, and she has been on it for over a year, is her hands shake a little. I will take the hands shaking over the cutting her body any day of the week. It has been good for her. Who ever posted earlier about trial and error is correct though. It may not have the same effect on everyone.
  5. nightngale

nightngale New Member

for all the extremely good info. Now I'm afraid to try it! It is so hard for me try anything that says may cause rapid heartrate. Cause of dysautonomia problems. OH, well, maybe I can try the one little dose with hubs nearby for support. Thank you so much!
  6. HRgirl

HRgirl New Member

Some doofus doc in Cincy gave it to me because he thought I went Bi-Polar after my son was born. It made me a Zombie and I totalled my car on it.
  7. connieaag

connieaag New Member

She wanted her to start 25mg for sleep as well. After reading about it, we decided not to. Her regular doctor agreed. We are not returning to that psychiatrist.
  8. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

For the first time in my life and in the 14 months I have come down with this immune system collapse, I allowed myself to be committed to a mental health ward of our local hospital.

The interviewing nurse said it would be a chance for me to actually get in the hospital to be seen for my physical complaints as well.

The first day was fine. They gave me some kolonopin and that day I was completely relaxed and feeling almost great. It was a very relaxed setting and I read magazines on my bed most of the day.

I was given a dexterity test which I passed easily. And given a list of questions which after answering them said I was suffering from extreme anxiety and in the 32 to 58 range of sever depression, I rated a 33.

Last interview was with head psych doc.

Talked about 10 to 15 minutes. Another lady was present.

At the end of ths interview this doc said he thought I was in the very beginning or lowest range of bi-polar. He said there were 15 levels of this and I could be at the very first one.

He said he deduced this because I talked too fast and was pretty overt in trying to get my most concerned points out in my talk. ( I'm serious, this is what he said)

I said I've never heard a voice or had any hallucinations in my entire life. Response - blank stare.

And he never asked about the fact that the psychiatrist I had been seeing for the last 10 months never mentioned bi- polar and felt I wasn't psychotic at all. He felt I had post traumatic stress syndrom and I have been seeing a psycho-therapist for 7 months weekly for this. Never heard any mention of bi-polar from her either. But I just kept quiet. Always that fear of being categorized as a difficult patient. Then your treatment changes after that.

So he said he wanted to try a new drug on me called "Seroquel."

That night at 9:30 PM a nurse came in with a cup and water. In the cup were 3 100 milligrams of this Seroquel as well as a valium pill.

I took these and went out.

At 7:30 in the morning I was being shaken by the arm. A nurse wanted to draw my blood. I was so groggy I didn't know where I was. Also my lips were swollen and my tongue kind of twisted and my throat so dry I was rasping. And my kidney areas on both sides felt like I had been kicked by a horse. Ohhhh did that back hurt. I couldn't even turn over. So the nurse just laid my arm out on the bed and took the blood and left.

I tried to talk but all that came out was Tthhhwwaaa, ddwwwooo thwddddoooin, maaaa baaaacc huths, whaaaths wronnngth with me?

I then went out and was again awakened this time by the main doc around 11 AM. He said I had to leave the hospital.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2007]
  9. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Sorry, my computerhas been shutting down three times a day so I stop and post half my message versus listng all of it.

So this head doc says I have to leave and go to a hospital 75 miles away in San Jose, California if I want further treatment.

My lips swelling and tounge weirdness had receded about 2/3rds as had the back pain, but I mentioned it and he could see it and hear it with my distorted speech.

But I was still so groggy, I slowly sat up and got my bearings and skidded over to the bathroom and did my duty and got my clothes on as best I could. But no time for grooming or shower and I was feeling so hung over and out of it. I shuffled out to the main desk to sign my release papers and was walking to get my locker stuff when the head doc ask me to step in his office next to where I was standing.

He then said " looks like you had a reaction to the Seroquel." " Well, we'll never give you that medicine again unlike the Levaquin we gave you months ago."

Thats his QUOTE!

So he shook my hand and wished me luck and off I shuffled.

I had walked into that mental ward two days earlier looking groomed and walking straight and firm. I left truly looking like someone out of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest."

My clothes were disheveled, my shirt hung out. My unwashed hair stood up, I was unshaven, my eyes were half closed, my lips hung down and all I could do was hang on to the wall railing as I went down hall after hall trying to find my way out of that 4 story hospital.

I have felt so sick since I left there. So sick last night I called that ward and asked them how much of this Seroquel they gave me for my first dose. They said 300 mg's

Plus the valium!

I called another hospital and the mental health person said they had seen doses from 25 to 50 mgs for beginners, maybe even 100, but they could give up to 800 mgs for people in distress. Well, let me tell you, before I got my 300 mgs I hadn't felt more relaxed in months. That klonopin was working just fine thank you.

I called two local pharmacies and asked them about dosage too and they both said they had heard 25 to 100 mgs for first time dose but that they weren't experts in this area. But when I mentioned 300 mgs they both said that sounded very high for a first time dose.

And again, I certainly wasn't in any severe mental state or panic or anything when they gave this too me. I had just finished watching a TV show in their living room and yawned and said good night to the staff and walk back to me room and got settled in to get another good night sleep like the one I had the night before.

10. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I just had a meeting with my regular psychiatrist. I told him about my first time experience with Seroquel last Monday night and Tuesday morning.

He said he would have started me off with 50 and no more than 100 mgs of Seroquel. He said 300 mgs with valium was awfully high.

Said maybe the doicor who gave this to me thought I was real mannic.

I said to my regular doctor. Doctor, I was as calm as I am here with you today. And I was.

Then he said, "oh, but that's a good psychiatrist. He was head of the california state mental health board.

Really? Well, what ever he was, he overdosed me big time.

And this doc and his staff refuse to list what happened to me as an adverse reaction.

I told them if they look up the drug manufacturers own description for adverse reactions they will see back pain ( kidneys) swollen lips and twisted tongue and dry throat.

If "the manufacturers" list these as adverse reactions, how can the doctor who prescribed this medicine say they weren't?

Talk about not wanting to report the truth. They said" Oh, we just gave you too much." Well yes, we see that, but the overdose caused an adverse reaction.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/15/2007]
  11. nightngale

nightngale New Member

Joe what an awful experience. 300 mgs! YOU have to wonder if the doc should still be practicing! I may try half of the 25 mg, Seroquel is used off label for anxiety, depression, and other things, my daughter is bi polar and she tells me it does pack a punch. Depends on how much you take. I took 1/4 of remeoron once, 1/4 of 25 mg and it knocked me out cold. I felt sedated till the next night!
    I found out later that taking less of that drug actually intensified the effect! Well maybe I will take a quarter of the Seroquel, that is allowed with this med. (Meaning taking less)
  12. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

It's easy to freak out when you read the side effects of any med. Docs prescribe Seroquel for schizophrenia and for bipolar b/c it has a lot of antimanic properties. It helps a person fall asleep as well as helps with anti manic and anti-hypomanic symptoms of bipolar. My sister has taken it for years, so I know a lot about it. She started off with a small dose and gradually went up.

I'm not one to push meds on anyone, but I just wanted to say that this med is no better or worse than any other---everyone will react differently to meds of course. 25mgs of this med is a very small dose. Good luck with whatever you decide.

All the best, Erika
  13. dutchieU

dutchieU New Member

I was taken off this medication as soon as I had reported to my Doctor that I was "acting" out at night. No matter what I did, I would find myself up and walking around,up and down literally all night! My Doctor said "that can happen so we will take you off of it".

I do know of some that take it with no problems in fast it helps them sleep when nothing else will do. In fast the highest dose I know of one person being on is 850mg and I couldn't take 25mg. It just goes to show you that we are all different and you can't start a panic over a medication because it acted adversely on one and not another. It is a good medicine for some and not for all. That is the case with any drug.

IN answer to the question that started this thread, I did start gaining weight right away on that medication also.
  14. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

So sorry that happened to you!!! Your doc should get his license revoked. Hope you are doing much better now. Warm hugs, Erika
  15. ask2266

ask2266 Member

25 mg at night to sleep-

Made me nauseous, spacy, fatigued.
    Then increased my appetite, gave me panic attacks
    helped me sleep, but then I couldn't get up until 1 o'clock.

It acts on more parts of your brain than other sleep aids, but it would help if you have schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

It does work for some people. Just get ready to EAT alot.
  16. Langenleiten

Langenleiten New Member

I took it for 2 days. Immediately gave me restless legs to the point that I couldn't drive. Also,incredibly sleepy.

Lydia