serotonin levels and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Dec 27, 2005.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hello,
    I am new here. I have suffered FMS for quite some time now. I have read that there is a link between low serotonin levels and FMS. I recently have had mine checked and it was very low <50. I was on Effexor (SSNI)at the time. I wasn't surprised that my serotonin was low because I feel anxious and depressed alot.

I have tried many things to boost my serotonin but can't seem to do it. Does anyone know what could be going on with me? or what has helped for them with their serotonin and depression besides an SSRI or SSNI? Thanks so much.
  2. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

although I feel more anxious than depressed, I would like to know how they check serotonin levels. Please let us know. I would like to talk to my dr. about it!!!
  3. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hi,
    It is a simple blood test. A while back when my SSRI's were not working, I asked my primary doctor about serotonin testing and she said they cannot test that. I am currently going to a Reproductive Immunologist and it is standard procedure to check the serotonin level before trying to conceive. So it does exist for sure because I had it done! You can ask your doctors.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

5-htp (hydroxytryptophan) is an amino acid which helps your brain produce serotonin. It works quite well. But you should NOT take it if you are taking an SSRI as you may develop serotonin syndrome (too much serotonin, which can be dangerous). 5-htp is available at any health food store. I found it worked best for me to take it in the morning on an empty stomach (50 mg. when I first get up and 50 mg. before lunch). Some people need more. It gave me a mild headache for a week when I first started it, but it was helping me with sleep so much that I stuck it out and the headache stopped, and I have no side effects from it now.

the amino acid l-tryptophan is also very good, but this was banned back in the late 1980's or early 1990's because of a few bad batches. But you can still get it by prescription and a few other places, but it's more expensive than 5-htp.

Mary