Serotonin supplement for weight loss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Achy-shaky, May 24, 2003.

1. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Has anyone tried a supplement called Serotab? I just came across it on another website & it claims to help you lose weight plus increase your serotonin levels to help with insomnia, chronic fatigue, mood & eating disorders, especially craving carbs (something I really have). What caught my attention was that is said "There are a number of prescription medications and over-the-counter dietary supplements that indirectly raise serotonin levels. Serotab is the first direct serotonin supplement." It also has fat burning effects of green tea extract resulting in weight loss benefits & it contains NO ephedra.

Sounds good but just wanted to see if anyone has had any good results from it.

BTW: I have FM/CFS and am taking Celexa antidepressant but with all the hipe over taking for long periods of time I'd love to find a supplement that would work the same without the side effects.

Thanks!
    Shaky
    [This Message was Edited on 05/24/2003]
  2. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Nink - thanks & yes, alarms did go off; however, since this website sells something similiar called 5-HTP without the green tea for weight loss, I thought maybe there may be something to it & would be better than frying your brain with Celexa, an SSRI, which also is not a cure-all but certainly helps symptoms of depression, anxiety and even pain, but for some reason can make you gain weight.

Just hoping someone has used it. If anyone has used 5-HTP with good results, please also let me know.
  3. OmShanti

OmShanti New Member

I've never heard of Serotab, but I've been taking 5HTP for a while and I've found it helpful for depression. In the past, I've been on Celexa, Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, and some others that I can't recall at the moment, to treat my anxiety/depression, and I've found that 5HTP is just as effective for me...as long as I take it. (I notice if I miss more than one day, the depression creeps right back.) I mean I certainly don't think it's a "cure" for depression/anxiety, but it helps me get through the day currently.
    Hope this helps
    ~tara
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Serotonin does make a big difference in our feeling of well being---

Do not combine products, herbs, or medicines that affect serotonin levels, though.

If you are taking a SSRI, and throw in something like St. Johns Wort, or a supplement as the one you mention above there can be serious consequences.

You might want to read and research on Serotonin Syndrome, which is the result of this.

It is important that you stick to one product, not combining, to manage Serotonin levels.

Best wishes, LL