Service dog Ruby and I kicked out of 7/11

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dee50, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

We got kicked out of 7/11 (the store) they said since I'm not BLIND I don't need a service dog! Ruby had her vest on and was acting right. The gal that tossed we said she would rather pay the fine than have us in the store:( I'm going to report them as soon as I figure out who to report them too. They were very rude about it-shouting at us to get out. So not cool.
    Dee50
  2. 1horse

1horse New Member

look in the phone book to see if they have a head office and report them there.. if you know of anyother people that use service dogs picket that dumb store..I have never picketed but people are so stupid sometimes..they are suspose to even let service dogs in training in the stores..this makes me mad.. good luck peggy
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Thanks, I'm, planning on going there daily with Ruby.lol Ruby is the first service dog in the southern Idaho town that I live in. Folks only know about the dogs in the green vests that are in training for the blind. Well now they know about a boxer in a purple vest with SERVICE DOG written all over it and DO NOT PET writen on the top of the vest ban. She is the first as I said and I pick my battles carefully I'm going to get them fined. It's a big fine. Most folks are great they just want tons of information about service dogs. Ruby and I go in many stores with no problems. But they were something else! So rude about it.
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2006]
  4. maripat

maripat New Member

Next time this happens just call the police and you can let them explain the law to the owner.

Or you may consider calling a local TV station, especially if they have a consumer consernc reporter.

Good luck.
    Maripat

ps. you may come into my place of business anytime.
  5. Jane_Canuck

Jane_Canuck New Member

Dee on the front door of EVERY 7/11 and on their napkins too it has a 1 800 # for head office. Call and DEMAND to have their head person to talk to and then also ask for the District Manager so that you know there is follow up.

ALSO CALL THE LOCAL TV and ask to be interviewed they love that stuff!

Ask for the girl to be fired this is wrong! Still follow up with the disabled whatever it is to get them fined. Call your congressman office and they can also tell you who else to call to get you on the right tract.

I worked for these guys in Canada and used the 1 800 # all the time to report our store. Make sure you make note of the day and time and who you talk to each time. Also remember the name of the girl that threw you out and that date and time too.

GL! Brenda
  6. kbak

kbak Member

Dee,
    Honestly, people are just barbaric anymore! Weather it's at a pharmacy, or store or out in public, people just behave badly.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that! I sure would make waves and not let this go. I don't think anyone should be treated like that.

Take care,
    K.
  7. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I agree with the other post's.

Call the TV News in your area.

And call your local newspaper.

Your right this is So not cool.

Cindy
  8. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Thanks for the post I will follow up:) I'm mailing them copies of the laws ect or I may hand it to them to start. I'm going back there with support people on Monday or Tuesday. If them call the PD thats ok too. But for this weekend I'm going to go to Nevada with my husband. Ruby is very welcome where we are going and we stay in one of their nicest suites $165.00 a night and they just love Ruby. Folks here really do not know what a service dog is if you are not blind I'm not kidding.
    Thanks again Stormy.
    Dee50
  9. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I just thought I'd share that little happening with you all cause I know you all understand what it's like to be different from other folks. Different from the "norm" so to speak. Thanks again. Ruby and I will make it easier for the next person with a service dog walking into there! You all have given me many good ideas. I'll let you know what happens in the future.
    Dee50
  10. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

BUT i must tell you this first.

a blind guy went to the opera taking his guide dog with him. the band struck up and to the mans horror his dog started howling.

the next song started and there wsa shuffling but nothing else then the next song and a guy sat behind the blind man leans forward and says in his ear 'does you dog know this one too?'

true story, makes me laugh everytime :) OH and that man wasnt thrown out!!!!!!!!
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

This is a blatant breach of the law. We used to take our dog into everywhere with us and I kept a copy of the law on me for jerks like you dealt with. Besides whicuh, people who are training service dogs are supposed to take them all over. I would get a copy of the Servise Animal Law and take it back to the store.

We once had a visiting dog called Ruby Tuesday-at least we called her that as she was like the song, she would show up then disappear. Turned out every time her owner was away he would leave her alone so she would come round to us and go check if he was back each day. He got mad with us for taking her in when this happned. Jerk!

Lkve Anne C
  12. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

Call you local congressman!!!!!!!!!

YOur state representaive ALL of them.Democrates and
    Republicans!!!!!!

thanks my 2 cents good luck....

13. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Smiffy79-thanks for the funny story. It made me laugh.lol

Samantha55-Thank you for the corporate contact information I'm calling them this morning. Thanks to you I don't have to go back to 7/11 before calling the corporate office! Thanks for the positive story, I think this will have a postive ending too!

Ouch- Thanks for taking the time to look up Chapter 7 in the Idaho law books. I do carry a note book with this information in it. It was very nice of you to take the time to post it for me and everyone that lives in Idaho and donesn't know the law.

Cromwell-thanks for your post.

Wildflower2- I'm calling the corpate office and see what they say don't think I'll need my congressman at this point but thanks for the idea to involve them if needed.

You have all been a great help thank you so much.
    Dee50 and Miss Ruby
  14. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I believe I would call a local news paper or news station. I would ask that the reporter come along to the store, and enter the store ahead of me, so that the reporter can witness (and record??) the interaction between yourself and your dog and the offending employee. Set them up to be caught by the media throwing you out. Then you have proof. No more your word against theirs. I think I would let them throw you out again... then just let the reporter take over. Hidden camera, or hidden voice recorder... what ever.

Then, possibly involve the police too... the reporter could have that in the story to. Show businesses what happens when you do this to people with service dogs.

Don't those type of places have cameras behind the counter for robberies? That tape could be taken by police for evidence.

What is wrong with people these days???? Geez! Talk about discrimination against disabilities.
  15. lolee

lolee New Member

I know there are certain rules and hope the mod's turn a blind eye for me this one time . . .tee hee . . . .

[edited as per rules]

I will pray for you, I think we are ALL gonna have fun watching this unfold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of God's blessing on you and the boxer in the purple vest!

love,

Lolee
  16. jake123

jake123 New Member

When you get the 7/11 girl to eat crow, you are very polite and extremely graceful so as to make her ashamed of her gross and disgusting manners.
  17. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I didn't want to post anything that would start a debate, that's really not my intention.

I'm just wondering if there's a fine line when it comes to service animals of any kind.

I definately agree that service animals are very beneficial for people with any need/imparement. My cousin has a service dog for a physical disability, as well as a friend also had a service pig at one time. However, I do sometimes have to question their use, and what sometimes seems like an abuse of their services.

I'm really only asking if there's a fine line in where a service animal is appropriate because of a recent situation.

I was in the pharmacy of a Costco store, and there was a couple with a service dog. I had seen them walking around the store, but at the same time that I was in the pharmacy section, they ended up there too.

I couldn't leave, as I was speaking to the pharmacist - and this couple was just browsing. I have chronic asthma & allergies - and dog dander is an anaphylactic risk for me. Within a few minutes, I was having to use to inhaler; Over, and over again. Employees around noticed this, I think at the pharmacist's concern, and approached the couple with the dog.

It was the man who was actually with the dog - and when the employee approached them it was very clear that the man was not blind or deaf. He was walking very briskly, and seemed to have no limitations while walking through the store earlier. Same with his wife. The man was told that because he had the assistance of his wife if needed, that they felt the dog was not required - and they asked him to take the dog outside of the store and explained why.

This man got very irate, and refused to take the dog outside. He felt because it was his service dog - it could go with him anywhere at anytime. He very clearly said he did not care what other peoples reactions were "medical or not".

I was allowed to sit in the back area to try and regulate my breathing, and store management/security ended up removing the man and his dog from the store but allowed his wife to check out what was in their cart.

I left about the same time as the woman, and was able to see for myself the man open the door of his truck to let his dog in, and then proceed to help his wife unload the cart into the back of the truck. When they were done, he took the cart back to the front of the store.. and then ran back to his truck!!!!

The service dog was his (had the license & papers) but what did he need it for at that point in time that was more important then the health of someone else?

I don't have a problem with service animals, but am I wrong to think that sometimes there ARE places that they may not be all that appropriate?

I hope I'm not stiring up any problems with this.

~Amanda
  18. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

If someone came up to me and said, "I can't breath because of your dog" I would leave! But if that person doesn't talk to me well then I don't know whats going on , do I.I have had to leave many public places because of the smells of the people (purfume), loud noises and to much action it makes me very ill. I do not wish to make anyone ill because I have a service dog.

What is not exceptable is when someone judges that I don't need a service dog.(and I'm not saying that you are doing that Alyndra) Does that make since to you? Folks have service dogs for many reasons not just because they are blind or so crippled they can not walk without their service dogs.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006]
  19. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

First off, thank you for answering!

I completely understand the many reasons for having a service dog; or animal of any kind.

I think the only part that I don't understand is if whether or not there are certain times that it's "alright" to ask someone to leave with the animal.

Most specifically when the guy with the dog is literally running around, and has a fully capable wife there to help him as well! lol

In any situation though, no one should be rude about it. That, I agree, is definately not appropriate for any reason.

In my Allergic Living magazine I get, they had an article a little while ago that was about genetically engineered cats and dogs that were "hypo allergenic" in the way of fur and dander. Maybe if they were used as service animals in the future, me or anyone with the same problem wouldn't have to worry whenever we see one! lol

Again, thank you for answering. I think in the end it's really more along the lines that it was this mans attitude in regards to the dog was more of a problem then the dog itself.

~Amanda
  20. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

they can warn of an oncoming seizure so the person can sit down before dropping and get assistance during a seizure. I do agree though, that if the man understood it was an asthma issue for you, he should have politely gone to another area of the store until you completed your transaction.