service dogs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by srs6278, Oct 7, 2006.

1. srs6278

srs6278 New Member

I was just curious if anyone has ever heard of people with fibromyalgia having service dogs. Please let me know if you have any idea if this is something that is done.
  2. Amslave

Amslave New Member

This is interesting becauase people need to watch my dog if they have have a problem in beleiving in FM. My husband always wanted a lab (he is a waterfowl hunter) I did NOT want this dog, we had a 12 year old beagle and one was bad enough. Well, he finally wore me down and he got this little black puppy (about $200.00, he had grown up with the breeder). Now, this was before my condition was out of control, so I would pat this dog before I went to work, when I got home, never paying alot of attention to him, I had plenty to do other than deal with a puppy! Well, as everyones story goes I came to the end and could not handle the sym. anymore and fell apart. And all of a sudden I had a Lab devoted to me. On bad days he will not leave my side, he becomes my foot stool or just my best freind. When I fall( I have balance and leg issues) he will stand next to me so I can use him to help get back up. i fell down my stairs 3 mths. ago and he stood gaurd till my husband got home (wouldn't even let EMS near me). If you have some one to help housebreak a dog he could be a long time freind to you. I love my Quacker Jack. Jen
  3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I know you can't post the address of the yahoo website but can you tell me a good keyword to search for?
  4. srs6278

srs6278 New Member

If you go to yahoo, the word "groups" is on the menu bar on the side of the page. Click that and then scroll down and click "health and wellness." I then went into the search box and typed "service dogs for people with fibromyalgia." Sure enough, I found the group. Hope this helps.
  5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I would love to have a service dog. I have even done some searches on this subject so I was interested to see that others were too.

I have 2 labs that are wonderful, great company and loving. They have never been trained very well as I am always too tired to spend a lot of time on training.

Even so they are always there, sitting by me, keeping me company, giving me sloppy kisses when I need cheering up.

I would love my next dog to be trained to be a helper to me. Pick things up, pull me up off the floor etc.

hugs Redwillow