Services for my son...

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by TRosen, Jan 21, 2010.

1. TRosen

TRosen New Member

Hello, my youngest son turned ten last month and was just diagnosed with autism. My wife and I need to find a good service in NJ and I was wondering if some of you know of a couple. Thanks.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

As your son was just diagnosed, you may want to ask the diagnosing doctor as that doctor may be a good resource. I don't know anything about Autism, and there is an Autism Board here.

If it were me, I would be looking to contact an Autism group or chapter to get the most info. Below is The Autism Society of America and it has community chapters. The web address below goes directly into finding out about their community chapters. Good luck and hugs.

http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=community_chapters
    [This Message was Edited on 01/22/2010]
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm sorry that you are facing this - I have a nephew who has autism, so I am quite familiar.
    I'm surprised your son was just now diagnosed. Does he have a mild case, meaning is he somewhere on the spectrum, with Asperberger's or something?

Your son should if he doesn't already, have an IEP at his school (Individualized Education Plan)
    His team should be able to give you some resources and hopefully some referrals.
    Asking his Pediatrician is a great resource as well.

My nephew is doing quite well. He attends a public school, is incredibly smart, has remarkably improved language skills as each year has gone by and is quite the lover!

Hoping you get some referrals and you can have some different options to choose from!
    Wishing you the best for you and your son.