Sever musical scramps , is this Fibro ? Need advise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMsaddenedspirit, Feb 20, 2009.

1. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

ok I normally don't post much myself .. but do a lot of reading and research , and reply to a post sometimes. when I can give some input.

for the past three days my calves are in a sever musical cramp.. you know like when you wake up in the middle of the night with a leg cramp that brings tears . and you stretch it and walk it off...

you can see and feel its in a big ball.... Hurts like crazy ..

this has happen before and I just pass it off as Fibro.. I have tried walking , heat. rubbing it.. ( just makes it feel like its bussed . )

if this Fibro ?

Thanks for any input ... and for being my support group. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 02/20/2009]
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I get calf cramps all the time...but i dont get anything that you can see or feel unless ive done something physical. I go to a personal trainer off and on and I over did it on my calf exercises and I had exactly what you are describing,...the only thing I could do was to take a towel and wrap it around the tips of my toes and stretch or you can put your toes at the end of a stair facing toward the top of the staircase and let your heels drop below the stair (but be careful not to fall!! ...but it doesnt work immediately...I was in pain for over a week atleast! My trainer also told me to use heat as much as possible but that i wasnt going to get instant would take time. He had this happen and he couldnt get rid of the cramps for 3 weeks! It actually helped to walk on my toes for some reason because it was the stretching in my case that was causing the pain. But by chance did you wear anything like high heels before this happened, because they work your calves and if you arent used to them they can cause really bad pain in your legs or just your calves because you are basically flexing your calves when you are walking in heels.

I hope this helps a little...I figured id try! Good Luck!
    Take Care and Feel Better!
  3. I was getting the same thing, then my stomach muscles started too, dr checked and my potassium was REAL low, I had to take potassium pills for quite awhile. Pls have it checked, its miserable.
  4. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Thank you all that reply to me.. I will be seeing my family Doc next week.. I'm sure he will want to do some blood test. I'm due anyway .

I saw my Fibro Doc yesterday .. she is thinking its Fibro related. ...

we had also tried some triger injections on my back again .. worked until the numbing stuff went away .. I felt no pain for about 20 min .. and am back to the sholder pain as well.. felt good to not feel all that pain for even just a min or two..

so tired of pain

Thanks again for all the support .. prayers for beter days .
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I don't know if your cramps are because of Fibro or if we're more prone to them or what.
    I've had those horrible calf cramps - WOW. I've been woken up with them and you can do nothing but scream and I mean outloud scream. It can take days for them to relax enough for them not to happen again - so it doesn't surprise me if you're having them for days in a row. Just moving wrong can trigger them.

I haven't been able to tie mine to any activity. I haven't had them for a while but I've always had them (maybe at least once a year) for a long time. I never thought of them as Fibro related but who knows. =)
    They sure hurt though!!
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I know my post probably didnt help much but I figured id share just incase you had done something similar to what i did...but i do get horrible cramps in my legs legs is where the pain resides the worst...i just had never had anything where i could feel or see anything there except in those instances.

Hopefully youll find out that it something that can easily be managed, like some of the posters were saying, low potassium, and you could possibly manage these cramps with potassium supplements. I have to see my rheumy and I feel like today with my dizziness and other arising problems that have recently presented themselves that I have more questions that answers...I feel like my life is an episode of Lost. (im not sure if your familiar with that show but all it does is raise questions and never seems to answer them although i heard the last season will answer them)..and all we can do is hope that we will get our answers, our own "cure" for the pain, or just days with less pain. I pray for everyone on this board and I will pray for you, as I know I have others praying for me to get me through this pain everyday.

Here's to hoping there are somewhat better days ahead, and having our questions answered!
    Good Luck with the dock...i know im haing anxiety this morning because I have to see my rheumy at 12:30 today :(

Take care!

7. charlenef

charlenef New Member

I have been getting out of bed for 6 yrs at night to walk for 10 mins if im really bad I need to do it 2x if i try to ingnore the cramps and pain it only becomes worse and effects me the next day so I just get up and do it so I can go back to sleep