Severe Back Pain Floored Me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0909, Jun 11, 2010.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Two weeks ago my back just collapsed and I went down on the floor.I managed to crawl into the living room and have been there since!

The pain was horrendous and I thought I would never walk again.I was screaming and nearly vomited with it.

I have had two different doctors out to see me and they gave me a months supply of pain killers to take,Tramadol and Paracetamol x4 each day and Diazapam x 2 each day.They say it is severe muscle spasm which could take weeks to heal.My spine feels like glass.

My hubby has had to take care of me and it has been hard on him as he still works 3x 12 hour days per week.I sleep on a memory foam mattress topper doubled over and he leaves everything to hand.
    The drugs are knocking me out which is good as I think it is helping my recovery.I have had to pee in a potty and poop too(which is SO embarrasing)and hubby had to clean me up as the pain means I cannot reach!We did have a giggle over it though so it helped lol.

I slipped on the ice and went flat on my back when I was 29 years old and it has been weak ever since.I used to collapse just when I turned my head but I have been ok since I had to stop work cos of the fibro.I knew it was getting weak the past few weeks tho and I was actually wearing my support belt and using a walking stick on the day.

I am hoping to be able to get around soon before I go crazy!!The ceiling needs painting and I spotted a big cobweb lol.

Take care
    Rena UK

2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Ive so been where you are! I reached for a pot on the back burner and down i went. Spent 2 wks on the floor before i could even stand. It wasnt the 1st time either. But mines not muscular...i have 6 herniated discs, nerve root compression, spinal stenosis and now arthritis. Its awful. Thankfully my doc keeps me on my feet. Hope you get better very soon!
  3. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I am so sorry this happened to you! The very same thing happened to me a few years ago and now it happens about 1-3 times per year. Just not as bad as that first time.

All I did was bend over to pull up my pants while getting dressed one morning. I fell into the closet because I couldn't stand up. The pain was excruciating. My hubby helped my onto the bed and left for work. Kids were at school, one at preschool.

I tried to get up so I could try to get my son from preschool and found I couldn't put any weight on my feet because of the pain. The pain was like the peak of childbirth, where you scream and don't even realize it is you!

After no one showed up to get our son....and I couldn't call the school or anyone for help, because the phone was out of reach....the school started to call and call. Finally I rolled over the bed and fell onto to floor to crawl to the phone....each movement would cause the screaming....

hubby got son and unfortunately brought him here....hubby had to try to get me off the took two hours, a few percocet and one call to our doc....doc said don't try to call ambulance because they will lift you and jostle you and drive you across bumpy roads to hospital and they will probably send you back home....and in the car....

our 4 yr old was hiding in the living room behind the chair while I screamed every time we tried to get me off the floor and onto the bed....not cool...

i was flat in bed for about 5 days with a bed pan...and then a commode next to my bed with the use of embarrassing! i had to wash my long hair in this shampoo cap/kit for bedridden worked pretty good...

i now own crutches so that when this happens, I can walk bent over with the get me to the bathing when it happens...hurts too much....

thankfully, since i am mostly homebound, it hasn't happened out in public.....where my back suddenly goes "out"....i will die of embarrassment if it happens in a store or our children's school or would be the worst!!!!

when it happens, you go down...and stay down....there is no walking or standing....the pain is too awful!

i don't know why this happens.....i had a few mri's before this started happening but haven't gone to the doc for this .....what can they do, anyways? I am very clausterphobic and the only open scan MRi machine is 80 miles away and I don't travel anymore....i will do anything to avoid even the open takes my breath away to even think about it....

so, Rena, that is my experience....I hope you don't feel as alone after hearing that it happens to other people too....once you start to heal, it seems like the healing speeds up....the first days are so nothing is getting better.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
  4. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

Thanx for replies.Sorry you are all going through this horrendous back pain too!

I feel a lot better than I did 2 weeks ago because of the pain relief drugs the docs prescribed for me.I am getting around SLOWLY and being careful with everything.I used to push myself to do stuff before I was better.... but after this episode .....NO WAY.

I have to go out tomrrow so I have decided to use a wheelchair because if I attempted to walk and collapsed again in the street I would be stuck there.So hubby is going to push me.I hope I dont see people I know cos I will feel stupid saying.............its only my back!!

Cant wait to recover though....I am going stir crazy because I cant even get in my garden to see the world !!

Best wishes to all