Severe Bloating..dr. doesn't believe in FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rgonza2, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Rgonza2

Rgonza2 New Member

I've never posted on a mssge board before, but found out about this site through a book about women living with fibromyalgia. I have suffered from severe bloating in my stomach (along with all of the other ailments) and wondered if there is anyone out there that is going through the same thing?? My stomach will go clear up to 43" and I am asked all time when is my baby due!! It's very hurtful!! I have been to every kind of dr. you can think of and my gasternologist said it is just part of having fm. My stomach seems to only go down when I take my pain medicine and lay down on my recliner chair with heat on my lower back and neck. When my stomach goes way up, my lower back just kills me and I feel miserable!! Any one have any suggestions that have helped them? P.S. I am a 48 yr. old female that had a partial hyst. 8 years ago, so I do still have my ovaries.
    Thank you so much and blessings to all that are suffering as I am on a daily basis with fm

[This Message was Edited on 04/01/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2009]
  2. Robbie44

Robbie44 New Member

Hi Rgonza2,
    I understand how frustrating the bloating can be along with FM. I too have FM and have had it forever, I think. My stomach bloating, belching and burping has been my biggest issue. I finally eliminated gluten and all grains from my diet and made major progress. Then I found out I have Candida and am taking nystantin, an antifungal. As the antifungal kills the beasy yeasties, my stomach tends to swell and do its thing. The difference is now I know I"m getting better.

There's some information on this forum that suggests that the gut is the main culprit in FM. If we can heal the gut, then other systems may follow. Check out Catseye postings on Dr. Farr. There's also a good book called "Why We Hurt" written by a doctor who's daughter had FM. He devotes a portion of his book to the gut. You can check it out on Amazon. Good luck.

Robbie
  3. Rgonza2

Rgonza2 New Member

Thank you so much for the helpful info! I will definitely check out the book. When you eliminated all of the gluten did it help at all with joint/muscle pain? I'm on so many meds and would like to think of a day when I could start living without them.
    thanks again,
    Rgonza2
  4. Rgonza2

Rgonza2 New Member

Hi Robbie44,
    I took your advice and went to amazon to look for the book you talked about titled "Why we hurt". Do you happen to know who the author is? I found several books with that title in it and wanted to make sure I am getting the right one.
    Thanks again for the info, I am so appreciative!!
    Hope you are feeling well today,
    Rgonza2
  5. Robbie44

Robbie44 New Member

Hey Rgonza2,
    "Why we Hurt" is by Greg Fors. And yes when I eliminated all grains and (sigh) sugar, my pain was significantly less. However, the main thing that helped was magnesium. I noticed when I skipped on extra magnesium along with my regular calcium/magnesium it was a lot worse.

If you're new to this and the diagnosis of FM, you will find that many of us tackle the disease from several fronts at once. Supplements are very important!!! Vitamin d especially. People who live in the northern states tend to have low vitamin d and it can wreck havoc on many different systems. Check out the Vitamin D Council's website.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

I live in Montana and take 2000 IU a day. My 17 year old daughter was just tested and she is low as well.

This forum has a TON of info on it. Just keep posting and asking questions. Good health to you.

Robbie

6. Rgonza2

Rgonza2 New Member

Thank you Robbie again for all of this info...I did have a chriopractor that had me taking 23 pills a day of supplements (this on top of all my pain meds, etc.). I think it was just too much...I got really, really ill. He would also push really hard on some areas of my body and hold it until I was sweating alot and in tears. He said that was supposed to release all of the knots in my muscles. Needless to say...I quit going to him!
    thanks again,
    Rgonza2
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I use Gas X and it works pretty well. I have always felt the bloating is diet related with me. If I eat vegetables like zucchini it will cause me to be bloated. You might look at the foods you are eating and do a elimination diet and see if it gets better. When I had gallstones I really had bloating all the time. After having the gallbladder removed it is very rare now and seems diet related.

8. Rgonza2

Rgonza2 New Member

Wanted to let you know that at my dr. visit, she said that if I keep on this path I am on, I am going to die! She was outraged at all of the medications I have been on for years, and all of the dr.'s giving them to me. She said I had to immediately go on gluten free diet, no dairy, no coffee, etc. She also stopped two of my medications (Ambien CR and Protonix) and said I needed to start eating 5 cloves of raw garlic every day, 4-5 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar at every meal, take fish oil liquid every day, vit. C every day and give myself injections of B12 (1000 mg ) every 15 days. She said I was in worse shape than an 86 year old woman she had just seen. She said I was full of yeast (have to take some medicine for that), but oddly enough, I don't have any discharge. She also said she doesn't believe in FM or IBS and said my body is just full of acid and inflammation. I started all of this regimen on Sunday and boy has it been rough!!! I have been so sick, and my stomach is still really bloated! She said to give her a month and if I didn't see dramatic results I could fire her. I am so upset and depressed!! It's hard to take someone telling you that FM doesn't exist (after you have been to several dr's who put you on all kinds of medicine for it!), and that if you keep doing what you are doing you will die!! I hope all of these measures work, I am exhausted and afraid to get my hopes up that it will make me feel better.
    Best Wishes,
    Rgonza2

[This Message was Edited on 04/21/2009]
  9. let me know how the raw garlic is! OMG! I can't imagine eating that.

they say sodas make it worse along with veggies.

Now how could she tell you were full of yeast? I swear that is my problem but drs poo poo it. I have been so bloated for yrs, NOTHING works. Once a dr told me to take Fibercon and I said MORE BLOATING, but it did work actually but now my stomach cant handle it.

good luck...
  10. Rgonza2

Rgonza2 New Member

Hi fibrobutterfly,
    So sorry to hear you are also going through the bloating thing...believe me I know how painful and uncomfortable it is!!
    I had such a hard time handling the garlic!! It burns!!! I finally found a site on the net that said someone had tried chopping it up and mixing it with applesauce..it works!! It's the only way I can get it down. I'll keep you posted on how it is working for me. She did an internal exam and after she was finished, she had me get off the table and look in the microscope at all of the yeast! She was shocked..said I was just full and all she could get was such a small sample.
    Best wishes to you and hope you feel better!
    Rgonza2
  11. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

All I can really say is that many people will offer you their opinions on what is Fibro, what causes it etc.
    There are those that don't believe Fibro is an illness unto itself - some people here. I wouldn't particularly like a Dr. telling me she doesn't believe in it. It's okay to have her treat you the way she wants but to me it would seem better if she said, this might help your fibro. I dont know it's just me, I guess. So tired of hearing about all the people here who struggle with finding others to believe. If it helps all of your other symptoms then I guess that will be the true test.

I've had bloating for most of my life. I sometimes look 5 months pregnant. It is very uncomfortable, but it goes down for me.
    I definitely have to watch what I eat - soda is bad, gassy foods, even baked goods do it to me.
    I hope that regimen she has you on helps you!!
  12. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

What kind of doctor takes away someone's reflux med (Protonix was the only med that ever worked for me when my reflux was bad) and tells them to eat raw garlic and fish oil...does an internal exam showing someone yeast? Seriously, what kind of doctor is she? Call me a skeptic, but if her new diet for you works, I'll, I dunno, eat my hat or something. I wish you luck. If it works, good for you. If it doesn't, make that doctor give you your money back and re-prescribe the meds that you were taking.
  13. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

"Wanted to let you know that at my dr. visit, she said that if I keep on this path I am on, I am going to die! She was outraged at all of the medications I have been on for years, and all of the dr.'s giving them to me. She said I had to immediately go on gluten free diet, no dairy, no coffee, etc. She also stopped two of my medications (Ambien CR and Protonix) and said I needed to start eating 5 cloves of raw garlic every day, 4-5 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar at every meal, take fish oil liquid every day, vit. C every day and give myself injections of B12 (1000 mg ) every 5 weeks. She said I was in worse shape than an 86 year old woman she had just seen. She said I was full of yeast (have to take some medicine for that), but oddly enough, I don't have any discharge. She also said she doesn't believe in FM or IBS and said my body is just full of acid and inflammation. I started all of this regimen on Sunday and boy has it been rough!!! I have been so sick, and my stomach is still really bloated! She said to give her a month and if I didn't see dramatic results I could fire her. I am so upset and depressed!! It's hard to take someone telling you that FM doesn't exist (after you have been to several dr's who put you on all kinds of medicine for it!), and that if you keep doing what you are doing you will die!! I hope all of these measures work, I am exhausted and afraid to get my hopes up that it will make me feel better.
    Best Wishes,
    Rgonza2 "

Rgonza2,

I can't believe your doctor had you start all of this at once. Her ideas are solid but to have you doing this all at once is dangerous. I've been working on healing my gut since 2005 and if I tried all of that at one time even now, I'd be so sick.

Eliminating gluten alone can cause withdrawal symptoms and should be done slowly. Dairy is known to be addictive too so you need to back off that one slowly. The peptides in gluten and dairy are what's causing a lot of the symptoms in autistic kids.

If I were you, I'd back off some of what she has you doing and allow your body to slowly adjust to each of the treatments she recommended ... Having said that, 5 cloves of garlic is more than I take. 3 maybe but that's all ... I make a salad dressing with raw ground pumpkin seeds, EVOO, raw garlic, fresh lemon juice and salt ...

Many of us have had success with treating yeast by using Candidase, Candex, Threelac, etc.

hth ... Marcia
  14. clerty1

clerty1 New Member

Yes I get this a lot I do have a few problems with my gut G E R D ACID REFLUX DISEASE AND DIVERTICULITIS so I know what you mean medication make it worse!!! have you has a colonoscopy and endoscopy ?I have had both !!!
    I agree about diet wheat sugar and dairy drain our immune system it is really hard to cut these all out of your diet !!! how about keeping a food diary and you could look back and see what foods might effect you !! another thing is live culture yogurts they are good for you however I can't take them .
    good luck ginger is good to.

[This Message was Edited on 04/02/2009]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/02/2009]
  15. Rgonza2

Rgonza2 New Member

I know what you mean...I am seriously thinking about going back on my Protonix medicine...I can't get my stomach to go down at all since I stopped taking it! It used to go down to 35 inches (sort of normal) and then bloat up to 43 inches sometimes. Ever since I started all of this, I can't get my stomach to go down below 40 inches!! Tomorrow I have a CT scan for my abdomen and pelvis area.
    Thanks for wishing me luck, I appreciate it!
    Rgonza2
  16. Rgonza2

Rgonza2 New Member

Thanks for all of the info Marcia! You are right...I think all of this is just too much at once for my body to deal with! My stomach won't go down at all since I started all of this...tomorrow I go for CT scan, so we'll see.
    Thanks again and best wishes,
    Rgonza2
  17. daboysone

daboysone New Member

Get rid of this Dr. who doesn't believe in FM!!! Now! Nothing is as bad as going to a Dr. for help with FM and having that Dr. tell you that...if she/he doesn't believe in FM then how can she/he help you?
  18. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I'm saying this because my Mom had a hysterectomy and she suffered like this. Once the doc got her dosage of HRT right, it has been better but not perfect.

It might also be worth getting your liver and guts checked out by a good gastroenterlogist.

You might want to rule these causes out as your bloating does sound quite bad.

Good luck,

Love Bunchy x
  19. hopabout

hopabout New Member

Hi,
    First things first. I see Severe Bloating, Dr. Doesn't believe in FM.

You will never get any better unless you fire the doc. History..... find a new one or no doc at all. He will drain every dollar from you, evidentially does not know a darn thing about this illness and needs to be removed from your list of accquaintences. After you fire him, send him a letter with the Sarah Myhill mitochondria testing and findings you can find on this site or on the net. He needs further education.

Now, about your bloating. This works for me. I take Magnesium Malate all the time... some use a product called SuperMalate.... look on PH for this. Additionally, I make a "tea" using vinegar (2 Tab.) in a cup of hot water 3 times a day. If you can't deal with that, start with 1/2 teaspoon, and move up. I sometimes put a little honey or splenda to cut the smell and taste a little. You will get use to it.

In an emergency when you can't deal with the bloat and pain any more. Look at the drugstore for a little green bottle of magnesium .... like a coke bottle. Drink it but don't plan to go anywhere else that day.... your insides will come out.... the bloating will stop and your muscles will feel better.

I find this happens when we have cold fronts. The ions in the air, and the ions in our cells just don't like each other. Some blame it on barometric pressure. If you read about Santa Ana wind sickness you can find how weather affects our cells with positive ions. Most fibro/cfids survivors hurt all over and bloat just before any weather.

Last but not least. I eat nothing white. We can't metabolise sugar well. Anything white almost is sugar to the body. So, if you want to really be as well as you can be, no breads, no rice, no potatoes, no milk, nothing white. I am allergic to eggs and bloat with eggs too.

So, weather you can't help, front coming, you'll flare up, stay home do the green bottle of magnesium and blow your cells away and everything inside you. Try not to eat anything white for at least 2 weeks while drinking hot water with two tab. vinegar (I use whitehouse apple cider, health food store has better grade) 3 times a day, I do it after a meal.

I guarantee you, you will feel better. Not a cure, but sure is a relief !

Don't forget to fire the doc and send him Dr. Myhill's paper!

hopabout

20. Rgonza2

Rgonza2 New Member

Hi hopabout,
    Thank you so much for all of the info. I'm going to look at the Myhill paper you wrote about. I'm currently doing the gluten free diet, no dairy and have cut my coffee intake from 3-5 cups a day to barely a half of cup a day. I've also been really really diligent about eating the 5 cloves of raw garlic every day and taking 4 Tablespoons of organic ACV three times a day. Basically I'm eating nothing but raw vegetables and some fruites, and I still can't get relief!I had my CT scan yesterday and the dr.'s office already called back and said the results were negative!!! I was so upset...not that I want a bad report, but I just can't understand how I can go through all of this (diet, etc), subject myself to all of that radiation (by the way, my stomach was so big when I went for the CT scan that I couldn't even button my top button on my pants and I looked like I was about 8 mths pregnant), and they can't find anything that explains this!! I'm exhausted and sick and tired of trying all of this stuff. I am going to take your advice and try the magnesium one day, although I definitely don't have a problem going to the bathroom. I probably going 6-8 times in the morning before I can even start thinking about getting ready for work. Sorry this is so long..today I stayed home from work because I just didn't have the energy (physical and mental) to make it. I'm just tired of going from dr. to dr. and it is so expensive. I miss the old me!!
    Best wishes,
    Rgonza2