Severe finger pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckzim, Oct 15, 2006.

1. ckzim

ckzim New Member

Hi everyone,
    It's been quite awhile since I've posted,but I need some help with this new found pain in my fingers.

It's 4am now,and I've just been through such a horrible pain in the pointer, middle and ring fingers, that it woke me up, and Im in tears from the pain.

This pain is beyond the norm of the numbness and tingling, it's difficult to explain. Like the fingers are dead? Trobbing, pounding,
    swollen. It lasts about 30 minutes, and then it sort of eases out. But the swelling remains.

Kind of like when your hand or feet go to sleep,or you have slept on it wrong, only this is so much so, that you feel the like the fingers are dead. Can't move them, can't do anything but cry and wait for it to ease.

I told my rhemy about the constant tingling feeling I have, and she put me on Lycria. But this pain is something different. The Lycria doesn't even touch it.

Does anyone have any clue of what this might be?
    It really scares me, when this happens.

When I asked the Rhemy,why all the tingling, she told me it's a pinched nerve, and there was nothing else that could be done for me, since Ive already had the cervial fusion.

I know all too well the tingling thing, but this???? Is a totally new kind of pain.
    It's more than just sleeping on it wrong, I've had that, this goes way beyong that.

Has anyone ever experience this deading kind of pain before?
    What did you do, and what in the world is it?

2. 143alan

143alan New Member

I personally don't have the pain in my fingers that you describe but my son does. He has reflex neurovascular dystrophy which is in the family of FM and neuralgia. I've been trying to look up if his symptoms are from the RND or something else. I keep checking mayoclinic.com looking through there lists of information but I havent' found anything yet.

In his case I think his may be from a pinched nerve in his cervical spine, but I'm not sure. If I find anything else I'll let you know and you do the same.

I would say maybe check to see if it's carpal tunnel syndrome but it usually affects the middle and ring fingers. I've had that surgery on both wrists now and it was a tremendous relief in my pain. The pain is very much like what you describe though.

Take Care and I'll keep checking
    Nancy
  3. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

I had this really bad last year, only mine was an intense burning, like someone was putting a blow torch on my fingers. It would last around 30 minutes, & come back several x a day. I FINALLY found a rheumy that diagnosed it. Basically, my fingers were swelling bad from osteoarthritis, & I had lots of fluid. He told me that I had synovitis, which is where the finger is so inflamed, that if not caught in time, the fluid that it is suppossed to be between the joints of your finger starts disappearing. If not caught in time, basically you will have bone on bone, which is not good. Think you hurt now....
    The rheumy put steroid shots directly into the joint space (this is NOT fun), he told me I wouldn't like him very much afterward..& that I could cuss if I needed to..LOL. All I said was "Wowzers", & he laughs & says wowzers, I haven't heard that word in a while...It hurt VERY bad, but it was worth it!! I was pain free for the rest of winter. They can only do 3 fingers @ a time though. Now, they are burning & swelling again, so I have to get in again SOON. I hope this isn't what you have, but it took me a LONG time (and 2 rheumys) , plus an MRI on my hands (which didn't even show up anything), to figure out what it was. Winter/fall is the only time it bothers me. So, I would see your rheumy & ask about synovitis, or inflammation in the JOINT SPACE. The finger may actually feel spongy to you too. Good luck, I hope I may have answered your question......Hope you feel better soon :)
  4. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

I have arthritis in my fingers and sometimes they cramp really bad. Other times the joints get inflamed and they just plain hurt"bad'. I have had to have shots in my thumbs several ties. Hurts like the dickens when he is doing it but relief soon comes and the shots are worth it.

Sometimes while sitting at the computer , my right hand gets cold and the pain is awful. I have to get my fingers warm and put on a cotton glove to keep my fingers warm.

Last winter I often slept with a cotton glove on my right hand so it wouldn't get cold, start hurting and wake me up.

One night I couldn't find my glove and ended up using a fuzzy foot cozy on my hand. LOL

Hope you get relief soon.
  5. ckzim

ckzim New Member

For such a warm response, although I have to say, OUCH!

I am going to have to do something,this has been going on for 2 straight weeks now.

I've started sleeping with a brace on my wrist, which seems to help, I haven't had any servere pain yet,the deadness with using that, just the numbness, but I can't sleep with a brace on my wrist and fingers for the rest of my life.

Thank you all for being there for me, I had hoped everyone was still as freindly and warm as when I last posted, and you were, and more so.
    I will try and keep in touch more, or least try with this hand/finger thing, typing is a real chore.

Hugs,
    Kathy Z
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    Your Bio. isn't filled out, so I don't know if you have already been tested for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have Rheumatiiod, and when it hits my fingers I have severe pain, somewhat akin to numbness, but much worse, and my fingers turn very dark. This darkness is a sign of Rheumatoid.

My acupuncturist has really helped me with pain. You might give it a thought. He told me that acupunctue can have really good effects on Rheumatoid, and can even reverse the effects, but it takes a long time.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon,
    Terry
  7. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Yes, I've had this also. I would suggest that you get tested for blood clotting disorders. My fingers are much better once they found that I have seveal clotting disorders and put me on blood thinners. Still happens every once in a while, but nothing like it used to.
    H
  8. ckzim

ckzim New Member

If maybe the clotting thing is more my problem?
    I don't have RA that I know of. I'm DDD with Fibro.

I've had the cervical fusion, and rotartor cuff surgery within the last year. Every was great until this finger deadness thing.

I've always had the swellilng in both the hands and feet, and figured it was poor cirulation. Yet I knew something more had to be happening in there.

I checked the symtoms for Carpal Tunnel, it just doesn't match what I am feeling, it's the wrong fingers, and when I tested myself, by pressing down on my wrist, nothing happen.

I will bring these symtoms up to my rhemy ...again. But I will also mention the clot thing.

Thanks again all, I knew someone would know something here.
    HUGS
    Kathy Z