Severe flatulence

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quilp, Dec 8, 2006.

1. quilp

quilp New Member

I am passing wind on over twenty occasions a day. The saliva test suggests I have a candida problem ( I plan to take Threelac soon ) and hopefully the stool test analysis may shed more light.
    I have had CFS ( M.E. in the UK ) for almost twelve years. are there any others out there who pass so much wind ? ( It's also embarrassingly smelly ! )
    My diet doesn't lend itself towards flatulence and i've yet to meet other CFS members ( locally ) who have such a problem. Please help if you can.
    Kind regards, Mark
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Yeah, I do the same thing when I eat alot of vegetables or beans. It's better when I take digestive enzymes. The gases occur when a food is not completely broken down in the stomach and small intestine and passes on to the large intestine where the "intestinal flora" digest it.

Methane and hydrogen sulfide are produced which was actually an "issue" for the space program when they wanted to send men to the moon. They didn't pick anyone who would have anxiety induced flatulence because they didn't want the astronauts to be harmed by toxins while cooped up in the small spacecraft. Not that this will ever be an issue for us!

Have you tried digestive enzymes with all meals and betaine hcl for meats? The pancreas, like everything else, produces less of what it should as we get older. I can't digest food hardly at all without supplementing with enzymes.

If it's still bad, quit mixing proteins and starches, they don't digest well together because the meats need acid while the starches need alkaline (which comes from the saliva) and they neutralize each other in the stomach.

hope this helps!

karen
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

There are certain foods that, although they don't seem to be a bother to the general public, are NOT cooperating with my digestive process very well.

I did notice that making sure I take probiotics on a regular basis helped a great deal (I can even eat onions without problems). Another thing is making sure I ditch ANY carbonated drinks.

There's a television show here, MYTHBUSTERS, that looks at assumptions then puts them to the test. They did a show on flatulence...my son loved it! They found that meat increased the incidences, as did sodas. They observed (granted, a limited number of people) that the problem was about twice as bad for men.

I know for my family (I have a 10-year-old, so this subject comes up entirely TOO often!), there are certain foods that make the smell much, much worse, so I try to be aware of that when I know we'll be out in public!

Edit to add: As the above post discusses, digestive enzymes...my probiotics includes these.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2006]
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Enzymes help me and also good food combinations.

Having enough healthy bacteria helps digest but also creates new absorbable enzymes for the system.
  5. quilp

quilp New Member

Thanks for the replies you guys. I do try to watch what I eat, especially refined sugars. I take supplements and am doing my best to make sure I don't feed the candida.
    I'm thinking of plugging myself into the national grid because all that spare gas could certainly power the East coast.....
    Regards, Mark
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I notice about an hour or more after I have taken magnesium pills, I get a lot of gas. That is about the only time. I don't know the correlation between magnesium and gas though. But it happens to me every late evening when I take my 200 mg. of magnesium.

Take care,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2006]
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Candida can definatly cause the flatulence problem. I notice this when my candida flares up. The digestive enzymes do help with this and also help with elimination which can help get the candida toxins out of your body.
  8. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I figure it's from my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I can drink a can of V8 juice and feel like I could blast off to the moon 15 minutes later.

Tuna, beef stew, turkey, veggies, salmon, bananas- these are real offenders for me. I use Beano and GasX as needed.
    Mini
    [This Message was Edited on 12/09/2006]
  9. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

They had a special on leaky gut! Wish I had seen that one. Leaky gut is usually caused by candida. Very interesting!
  10. BethM

BethM New Member

Taking chlorophyll capsules can help neutralize the odors of the 'wind'. (Although be aware that chlorophyll can give you green stools, so don't panic if you see that.)

Taking Beano with meals helps. Chewable papaya enzymes after meals helps calm my digestion as well, and they taste good, too. I like the papaya enzyme tabs from Trader Joe's.

Gosh we are an interesting group of people! It is wonderful that we can talk about this topic here!

Peace,
    Beth.
  11. namow

namow New Member

Maybe you should try to stop milk and dairy products for a while to see if it makes a difference, it did to me in an incredible way!!!!!
  12. cph13

cph13 Member

Hello all! it's been ages since I've posted but I have been snooping. I'm trying to finally go back to work and deal with this problem of horrid gas.

I believe it's all the vitamins we consume along with some other stuff. Anyone find this to be the case?

Specifically I stopped calcium and saw an improvement however, I need my calcium. Any suggestions or any further information on leaky gut. I am totally uninformed about l. gut.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Nice to be back, I was busy on the non smoking site. Yes, the Chantix worked. That is not to say I would recommend it coming off of it put me in severe depression but I'm still a non smoker.
    Carol
    cph13