Severe Flu symptoms after flying

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IrishRover, Oct 28, 2002.

1. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

Hi, I am very new to this message board but I have had CFS/FM for the last 10 years in Ireland it is called ME.
    Recently I have noticed that each time I have flow some where, after wards I get very severe Flu like symptoms, ace and pains in all my joints, high tempature, cold and then sweating, very tired and for 2 days all I want to do is sleep, can any one tell me if they experience the same experience from flying, cause it is really scaring me.
    Thanks alot,
    Irish Rover
  2. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

Hi, I am very new to this message board but I have had CFS/FM for the last 10 years in Ireland it is called ME.
    Recently I have noticed that each time I have flow some where, after wards I get very severe Flu like symptoms, ace and pains in all my joints, high tempature, cold and then sweating, very tired and for 2 days all I want to do is sleep, can any one tell me if they experience the same experience from flying, cause it is really scaring me.
    Thanks alot,
    Irish Rover
  3. sybil

sybil New Member

when the air on planes is just recycled and will spread any airbourne viruses and germs around.some people have picked up some very nasty things on aircraft.on the BBC news a few weeks ago one woman was sueing an airline because she picked up T.B. on board a flight,one of the other passengers had it and it is an airbourne disease.
    i think there should be health screening for dangerous infectious diseases before people fly.you can't stop people from flying with colds,but serious things like,T.B. they should be grounded,

sybilxxx
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2002]
  4. UmiBear

UmiBear New Member

I've never had exactly what you've described, but I agree with the other poster that there are dangers in flying due to the recycled air and being in cramped quarters with lost of people, some of whom are coughing and sneezing. I once got a BAD case of pneumonia after flying home from an overseas trip. I've since found out that some airlines from other countries, since they aren't under the same rules US airlines are under, sometimes cut costs by not circulating fresh air through the plane. Apparently this saves them fuel and money somehow. Also, most Fibromites have lower immune systems, so we just might be more susceptible to catching viruses than others. I don't know if there are any answers for this. I know when I travel I be sure to take my supplements to keep my immune system up. I've flown lots of times since the pneumonia incident and haven't had any troubles since. Take care and I hope you find the answers you need.
  5. IrishRover

IrishRover New Member

Thank you Sybil and Umibear for anwsering my message, I do agree that you can get any sort of infection on planes, I have had CFS/FM for the last 11 years and 6 months ago was the first time I ever got any sort of reaction like that, then I flew again a few months later and the same thing happened again, only this time alot worse, I go back and forth to Ireland at least 2-3 times a year, so I am hoping that will not always happen each time I fly, do you also know where I can find a "Good Doctor" who is sympatic to CFS/FM in the Florida area, Spring Hill, I am only in the US a year, in Ireland we had a hard time getting Dr's to reckonize the illness and I thought it would be much better in the US but to date I have not found one who äctually believes me" when I tell them that I don't feel well, they look at you like you have a mental problem not a real phycial one.
    Thank you again,
    Irish Rover
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2002]
  6. contessa

contessa New Member

There is a type of blood clot that develops during air travel. I don't remember the exact name but it is commonly know as "economy class something-or-other". Check out the internet sites re: blood clots. Certain people are more likely to get this, and those with our problems may be one of them. It is fairly common problem, thus all the internel info. Good luck and wish I could be more help. I came across the info when I was researching my leg/hip pain but since it didn't apply to me I kept going.
  7. sybil

sybil New Member

it is called..DVT....Deep Vein Thombosis..it is caused by sitting in a pressurised enviroment and having very little room to move your legs.apparently the blood thickens and a clot forms.this can affect perfectly healthy people of any age.you are at most risk on long haul flights in economy class,where people are crammed in like sardines.
    you can avoid this problem by wearing pressure socks,elastic knee high socks that support the veins.also by taling a small dose of soluble asprin before flying,avoiding alcohol and drinking plenty of water before and during the flight.rotating the ankles while seated is beneficial too,

sybilxxx
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

People with stealth infections (most of us) get sicker when we are in a low-oxygen environment. Our pathogens can thrive in such an environment. This may be why you feel sick after flying. It's also possible that the close quarters means you are sharing germs with your neighbors.

The new 717 airplanes are the only ones with true oxygen exchange which keeps the air fresh and not partially recirculated. Check to see if there is a flight with one of these planes.

Love, Mikie